David Lindley question.....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CarlosofCoronado, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Thanks Craig and Skip. That's some great info. I've only just recently heard the first El Rayo-X album for the first time, so this is all new territory to me.

It looks like I can get the orange one pretty easily off of David's website. I really enjoy Ry Cooder's music too, so that double live CD from Vienna looks intriguing, though $20 a disc is getting a bit steep.

The pink El Rayo-X live album might be more difficult to find though, as I'd be looking for it on CD.

2. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

i saw cooder & lindley together a couple of times and put it up with some of the best shows i have seen. the vienna show is really good. highly recommended.

3. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Forum Resident

how come no one is pimping his excellent release with Jackson Browne from earlier this year? 2 CD live set from Spain. Outstanding recording.

4. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I was not aware of it, but I'm interested. I assume it's not a boot.

5. If you have the first El Rayo-X then look for the second Win This Record! and the third Very Greasy.

They are both excellent and can be easily found NM in the $5 - $10 range. :righton:

6. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

It's too bad that the "Mr Dave" CD is criminally out of print. I saw it at a store once, had a listen but it was below my expectations then so I didn't buy it. I don't really miss it but it would be a nice one to have nonetheless. I guess that's how you learn.

7. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

In my case, it's because although I adore Mr. Dave, I've never cared for Jackson Browne.

8. Skip Reynolds

Seconded. The Cooder-Lindley Family Vienna Set is well worth the money.

9. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Listen to Lindley lap steel in Detox Mansion by Warren Zevon before you die.

10. Skip Reynolds

Roger that. Will do.

11. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

12. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Saw him live with Cooder and JB

Excellent player

13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I have a cassette copy of the album from back when it was released. I didn't really care for it and it's the only album with his name on it that I feel that way about. Unless you see it for real cheap and your're a completist, I wouldn't look back.

Another recomendation for the expensive 2 disc set of Dave and Ry from Vienna. If you can get it "legally" from somewhere else, more power to you but otherwise this is the source. It sounds great and the performance, well I don't have to sell you on that part do I?

I was lucky years ago to find a mint copy of that pink El Rayo X live lp for cheap.

I go see him pretty regularly out here in California. He does mini tours of the west coast at a minimum every year or so. Nice to see him get back together with Jackson. I hope he made some decent money on that tour and the disc. I still haven't picked it up but I'll probably get it some day soon.

His fiddle playing on Crow and The Cradle on the No Nukes show is hauntingly beautiful.

14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Hell yes! That's one smokin' solo! One of my favorite moments in Zevon's ouevre.

15. Skip Reynolds

I believe DL himself feels the album was a bit of a misstep. It has a "drum machine" sound to it that I don't care for, but the song "Starting All Over Again" is worth the price of the album. A really beautiful song with really beautiful guitar work.

16. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

17. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Same here . . saw many Jackson Browne shows in that era, and David Lindley was always the highlight. And even though radio has beat it to death, his vocal on "Stay" still makes me laugh every damn time.

18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Now you've done it. I'll have to dig out that tape and listen to it if I didn't record over it. Doubtful but it's possible. :sigh: I won't lose any sleep over it if it's gone though. I certainly wouldn't spend any big money on acquiring it.

19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Lindley doesn't play enough fiddle these days. I miss hearing it even though his slide work is his meat and potatoes. Sometimes you need a little onion with your meat.

20. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Forum Resident

21. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

After reading this thread I went to one of my used record haunts and picked up a copy of El Rayo X on vinyl for $3. I used to have this on cassette back in the 80s and played the heck out of it.

I found a vinyl copy one before a few months ago but it was pretty well shot. This one was in NM shape. It must have been the power of the forum that led me to the LP.

Thanks,

Chad

22. Skip Reynolds

Good approach. You might hate the song I think is so wonderful. Mileages vary.

23. Skip Reynolds

I love his fiddle on Linda Ronstadt's "I Can't Help It If I'm Still In Love With You."

24. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

Recently picked up the fabulous 2 disc Cooder/Lindley Family Live at Vienna Opera House. These are special performances that I would consider essential to either Cooder or Lindley fans.

I also picked up Lindley's "Big Twang" from 2007. This is a nicely recorded showcase for David's slide, 12 string and the eastern sounding acoustic guitars (bouzouki, Hawaiian guitar). He performs these songs with Rosanne Lindley. The guitar music is very rich, and cleanly played - I'm just thrilled with these under-marketed musical treasures. His lyrics and voice are a bit of an acquired taste, but after a while I appreciate both in the "don't worry be happy" vibe.

I've already got El Rayo-X, and all of his stuff with JB (got to see them perform together last year at Pier 6 in Baltimore), CSN, and most of what he has done with Cooder. I plan to sample his work with (separately) Wally Ingram, Henry Kaiser and Hani Naser. Amazing talent.

25. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Here's hoping on a new studio CD by David Lindley. A band with Joachim Cooder and his friends in it would be the perfect backing group for Mr Dave who is currently lacking a regular accompanist.

By the way, what exactly does the term pleemhead stand for?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.