David Seville (Chipmunks) question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MarkTheShark, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi...this is off the wall, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

I was a big fan of the Chipmunks as a kid. I have a complete set of the original Chipmunks albums and the few singles that weren't on an album. I also eventually found the three David Seville/Ross Bagdasarian albums (which turned out to be a disappointment, because all three duplicate each other to some extent).

A few years ago, EMI in Japan released a couple of Chipmunks CDs. One is a best-of, which I have. (For whatever reason, songs from "Let's All Sing" are mono, except "The Chipmunk Song," which is in muddy fake stereo). They also released the two Christmas ones together (I passed on this, figuring I have everything on it multiple times) and they issued what I believe was more or less a two-fer of "The Music Of David Seville" and "The Witch Doctor Presents" (given that those two albums do have some songs in common) and some single sides (with a selection that seemed quite arbitrary, that is, not comprehensive). I always intended to get this but it seems to have gone out of print. I read on line that there was going to be a UK issue of this...can anyone point me to a decent legit CD version?

I got a bootleg on ebaY which is not this disc. It's just some vinyl dubs, not done very well.

Gotta say one thing, this guy was resourceful:

"The Bird On My Head" and "Scallywags And Sinners" are different songs, different lyrics, same backing track. Ditto for "The Alvin Twist" (Chipmunks) and "Yeah, Yeah" (a British Invasion parody issued under the name "The Bedbugs" and included on the album "The Mixed-Up World Of Bagdasarian").

"When I Look In Your Eyes" was released on "The Chipmunks See Doctor Dolittle" album and also released as a single under the name Ross Bagdasarian. The single version does not have the Chipmunk harmonies, and has the closing line changed to "how I love the world your eyes reveal" instead of "isn't it a pity you're a seal" (actually, I am under the impression that the "Ross Bagdasarian" version came out first).

He'd re-release songs as singles years later (one example is "Gotta Get To Your House"), which had first been released under the name "David Seville," but now under the name "Ross Bagdasarian." The composer is given as "Skipper Adams;" I note Bagdasarian had two sons, one named Adam and the other is the guy now known as "Ross Bagdasarian Jr." (with his counterfeit, I mean second generation Chipmunks, and he was known as Skipper as a kid)

The song "The Prom" on the "Mixed-Up World" album is the exact same recording as the song "Judy," released as a single under the David Seville name in 1959.

I note on the last Chipmunks CD compilation, "Alvin For President" is on there (it's one of a few singles which was never on an album). The CD notes say it belongs to Bagdasarian, and not EMI. What's the deal with that?

Years ago, I found a single under the name "The Chipmunks," on the Dot label. The songs are "Sorry About That Herb" (kind of a vocalized parody of Herb Alpert's "A Taste Of Honey," and reminiscent of "Alvin's All-Star Chipmunk Band"). The B-side is "Apple Picker," kind of a novelty slash love song, with David Seville singing and the Chipmunks doing harmonies. It says it was produced by Ross Bagdasarian and Snuff Garrett. Any idea when this came out? I note there is a gap between the last Liberty material ("Chipmunks 'a-Go-Go" in 1965, "The Mixed-Up World Of Bagdasarian"--which I think was all old material anyway--in 1966, and the two Sunset Chipmunk albums, which came out in 1968 and 1969). How'd he hook up with Dot Records?

Just rambling...

2. Buzzz

Buzzz Forum Resident

I too have always gotten a big laugh out of the Chipmunks, and I agree with your asessment of the farce that has been perpetrated under the Chipmunk name for the last 20-odd years by Bagdasarian's son. Much like Rocky and Bullwinkle, the so-so animation was part of the old tv show's charm.
    I love the story from the liner notes of Still Squeaky After All These Years about how Ross Bagdasarian Sr. (David Seville) was broke and unemployed, and spent his family's last $200 on a "newfangled" tape recorder that could change speeds, which resulted in "The Witch Doctor". We should all pursue our goals with such conviction.

3. MarkTheShark

I don't mean to take anything away from Ross Bagdasarian, Jr. His cartoons were OK, at least the first couple years (though they can't even touch "The Alvin Show"). I liked that first Christmas special they did (the Chuck Jones one). I have that on DVD. I enjoyed his "interview" (Alvin interviewing "Ross Junior") on the "Still Squeaky" CD. But having grown up with the original Chipmunks, those 1980s records just didn't do anything for me. It was one thing to do "The Chipmunks Sing The Beatles Hits" as a one-shot knock-off, but album after album after album of just the Chipmunks doing contemporary hits... :sigh: (Though I was thrilled when the first one, "Chipmunk Punk," was released in 1980...I note there is no David Seville character on that album.) (Nor, come to think of it, on "Chipmunks 'a-Go-Go" from 1965, though he is pictured on the cover.)

His story is interesting. The material in those CD notes was intended for a book on the history of the Chipmunks which was supposed to come out back in 1998, for the thirtieth anniversary. But because of some licensing deal with the characters for some movie project or something that never happened, Bagdasarian ended up in a lawsuit (with Universal) and that kind of killed any projects with the characters for a while.

Eight of the original albums were released on CD very briefly, and are now long out of print. Most of them (aside from the Beatles one and the two Christmas albums) were only available for a few months in late 1990. For some reason they never released "Let's All Sing," "The Chipmunk Songbook" (although there are two different compilation CDs with that title, neither of which is the original 1962 album), "The Chipmunks See Doctor Dolittle" and "The Chipmunks Go To The Movies."

I once saw (again, very briefly) an announcement for an imminent CD release of "Chipmunk Punk" on the "official" Chipmunks website. However, that reference soon disappeared and as far as I know, it never came out. This was a couple years ago.

4. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

I'd love to see a real compilation of Chipmunk/Chipmunk-related singles including Bird on My Head, Ragtime Cowboy Joe, Alvin's Orchestra, etc.

Ross Jr. for whatever reason can't/won't get it together. And if he owns the masters, chances are I'll never get my wish.

fiscus1 likes this.
  5. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

WILL WE EVER SEE THESE CD'S RELEASED AGAIN? I MISSED THE FIRST GO ROUND.

6. stereoldies

stereoldies Member

I would almost kill to hear Bird On My Head in a new stereo mix, or even a mono mix from a first generation tape source......

7. MarkTheShark

I kind of doubt it...where is the demand?

However, last time I checked, they show up pretty frequently on ebaY and usually go for cheap. Except, for some reason, "The Chipmunks Sing The Beatles Hits," even though that was one of the ones that stayed available the longest. I've even seen some later cheapo truck stop version go for big bucks on ebaY...at least it was listed high, I don't know if anyone bought it. (I don't remember how much.)

(EDIT: Look at this...)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002TIU?v=glance

Ironically, that version at least had a more faithful version of the front cover. (Title is all in yellow on the original CD, no song titles are on the front cover, and the word "The" is moved and placed above the word "Chipmunks." This was done for a 1982 vinyl reissue, and the titles were removed from the front cover of the CD because that vinyl reissue was missing two songs, and the CD was complete.) See:

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Chipmunks-S...World-CDs_W0QQitemZ290025504630QQcmdZViewItem

One rant which I have never heard anyone mention. It's always kind of bugged me that (at least the way I interpret it) it looks like the art department never finished filling in the lower part of Simon's arm. It might kind of look like a guitar strap, but I just think it's part of his sleeve and they forgot to fill it in...it's been that way since 1964.

By the way, all pressings of this album since the Sunset remaster chop the opening guitar note on "Do You Want To Know A Secret." Including all vinyl, cassette and CD reissues, ever. (Even the 1981 mono UK one.)

8. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Hey Mark...always glad to see you on the boards. I loved the old NINETEEN SIXTIES Chipmunks as a kid..especially the "Clyde Crashcup inventor" cartoons ("I....am Clyde Crashcup. That's Crash-for Crash.......and Cup for Cup".:p )

9. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Forget the mono mix, how about the original recordings prior to the speed changes?

10. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Be sure to check out Ross Bagdasarian in his famous film role. He plays the tortured composer at the piano in Alfred Hitchcock's REAR WINDOW.

11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I have the 2003 Japan only CD of "The Music Of David Seville" (CAPITOL TOCP-67282). This now out of print CD is legit, with 27 tracks (some are from vinyl and not that great of vinyl, I might add, I actually have a few of the original 45's that are in better shape than the vinyl they used on the CD!) This CD features only "David Seville" related records and no hits by the later renamed Chipmunks, excluding the Chipmuck related "Witch Doctor", otherwise the tracks found on this disc are David Seville or Ross Bagdasarian related!

The songlist is GREAT, with the complete "The Music OF David Seville" album (which I also own on vinyl, an original Canadian pressing on LONDON, not LIBERTY Records!) It also has many David Seville 45's, both A & B side's and Chipmuck 45 flip sides, like "Almost Good" and "Mediocre", plus 5 of the ultra rare LIBERTY Alfi & Harry songs (The only one of theirs that I have on 45, is "Safari"). There is also a later Ross Bagdasarian IMPERIAL 45 A/B side included (which I do own the original 45rpm of), "You've Got Me On A Merry Go Round" b/w "You Better Open Your Eyes". The "A" side of this single was a catchy little number that could of been a small hit, if not in a BEATLES world and the flip side is really wacky with Ross in a rage yelling out, believe it or not, "You're a jacka**", over and over in the song!

Chris C

12. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

Yeah, I have that Japanese CD too. It's got some real rarities on it, such as "Bird On My Head." Unfortunately, they used the album version of "Chipmunk Song." The original Liberty single used a slightly different take of the vocal on the first couple lines of the song, distinguishable by the breaths between each "Christmas" on the opening line. To my knowledge it remains unissued on CD.

"Witch Doctor" was issued in a true stereo mix on the OOP Canadian compilation "On My Radio Vol. 1: Hits of the 1950s."

13. Chris C

:confused: I don't think that we're talking about the SAME Japanese CD, because "The Chipmunk Song" is not on my David Seville CD!

While we're talking about "The Chipmunk Song", it was remixed in Stereo and with a longer fade out, on the 1992 EMI Various Artists Christmas CD called, "Legends Of Christmas Past" (EMI #E2-99987) by Ron Furmanek & Kevin Reeves. A fun CD, which also includes the Canned Heat/Chipmunks version of "The Chipmunk Song"

Chris C

14. MarkTheShark

Around the same time, EMI in Japan also reissued the two Christmas albums on one CD (which I believe is still available at Amazon, plus it's just been re-released in the US--albeit with the song sequence mixed up and no Canned Heat track) and they also released a compilation which Amazon (as I recall) listed as "Best Of," but the front cover is the "Alvin Show" album cover with the word "Chipmunks" (from one of the Christmas album covers) in place of the word "Alvin": "The Chipmunks Show."

Unfortunately, money was tight for me when these were released and I put off getting the David Seville one for later...and now it's no longer available.

I did get a couple of bootleg CDRs from someone on ebaY, and I was very disappointed with them. Most of it sounded like it was done in someone's basement, copied from 45s on a broken turntable.

I have got to hear that "jacka**" track. I've seen that 45 listed in discographies, but I've never had it. I do have a couple of his last records, at least I believe they are..."Spanish Pizza" b/w "Jone-Cone-Phone" (on a promo Imperial label with the word "Hit! HIT! HIT!!! written all over it) and "I Treasure Thee" (mono/stereo on a very late Liberty label). That might actually be his last record.

Bagdasarian re-released a lot of songs in different configurations over the years. Some singles originally released as "David Seville" (like "Gotta Get To Your House") were re-released under the name "Ross Bagdasarian" later. Under "Ross Bagdasarian," the track "When I Look In Your Eyes" (from The Chipmunks See Doctor Dolittle) was released as a Liberty single, with a shortened intro, no dialogue, no Chipmunk harmonies and the last line of the song changed.

As I recall---I haven't listened to it in a while---"The Chipmunk Song" (on the Japanese "The Chipmunks Show" compilation CD) is the muddy fake stereo version from the "Christmas With The Chipmunks" album (you can even hear a slight "print-thru" of the opening notes of "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" as the song fades). Most of the CD is in true stereo, but for some bizarre reason, any other songs from Let's All Sing With The Chipmunks are mono. I think songs from The Chipmunk Songbook might be mono too, I need to dig that CD out and give it a listen again. I wish I could read Japanese, though (and Alvin wishes he could speak French).

15. rat1073

rat1073 Active Member

Still waiting on a re-issue of that Theodore solo album from '68.

16. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Old thread, new question.

One of my favorite childhood tracks was a David Seville instrumental that appeared on the flip side of "Alvin's Orchestra" called "Copyright 1960." Months ago I put a Youtube video up using the audio from my beat-up old childhood 45. Today, I've located a much cleaner copy of the 45 and put that one up there too:

Did this track ever make it to any of the albums discussed above, or has it always been relegated to a b-side? I've always loved this track and can listen to it any number of times and never get tired of it.

Harry

17. Chris C

Harry, I just checked my 2003 Japanese CD that I mentioned back in post #11 and "Copyright 1960" is NOT on it. SORRY! Cool flip side that I had not paid attention to, until your post above!

By the way Harry, just today I received that 2-CD Roger Nichols & Small Circle Of Friends, that you recommended! I'll spin it sometime this week :)

18. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I've gotten a few comments through YouTube from David Seville fans that also seemed to have overlooked this one. It's a gem.

Harry

19. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

What about Eefin' Alvin !!

20. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I always loved "Alvins Orchestra" where he yells that you can't have a 50 piece orchestra accompanying 3 chipmunks (I may be paraphrasing here), and, of course, that is exactly what they are doing !

21. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I managed to get a copy of 'The Alvin Show' on cd about two months ago. This was the album that I played the most in the early Sixties when I was a kid. When I played it, I remembered all of the bits that I hadn't heard for over 40 years. I was very funny and I recognized the legendary June Foray as Mrs. Frumpington.

CEMA Special Markets put it out in 1992.

22. Antifrodis

Antifrodis Forum Resident

Speaking of which, where is the DVD set of "The Alvin Show"? They only released one show commercially and that was it. I have one additional show in black and white, transferred to dvd from a 16mm print.

23. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

I always got a kick out of "Mediocre" (the flip side of "Alvin's Harmonica")

24. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

And with each of his complaints they get louder to drown him out...

25. AbsoluteDestiny

AbsoluteDestiny Forum Resident

I have a pretty good Chipmunks CD collection, (I'm a big comedy & novelty song fan) but I don't own any of the Chipmunks Christmas CDs, as there are so many different ones to choose from. Can anyone suggest which are the "best" versions to get?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.