Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I'll read all these after I see the movie. Thanks for using the spoiler tag. Much appreciated! Will see it Saturday.

PH416156 likes this.
  2. Spoiler

It's Earth!

Shawn likes this.
  3. Saw it on Sunday and absolutely loved it.

I'm a big fan from back in the 70's.
    Love the original 5, the TV series (anyone remember the fake made for TV movies from these?) and yes, the 2001 remake.

Not quite so thrilled with the animated series but still happy to own it (uh, two versions of it actually....).

Have tons of the original Marvel comics and I think most of the paperbacks.

...and the new one gets my 2 simian thumbs up!

4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Caught it last night and loved it...

Very well done... Didn't realize Franco wasn't in this one but they did fine w/o him....

5. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I'm going to see Dawn this week. I really liked Rise, so I'm hoping the sequel will be just as good. I enjoyed Matt Reeves' previous films (Cloverfield and Let Me In).

6. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Saw it today with 3 friends.... we all thought it was excellent!! :righton:

mikeyt likes this.
  7. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Just watched it. Excellent indeed.

8. I enjoyed it but didn't feel it was quite as good as the previous film. The visuals are stunning though. I don't remember any hydroelectric dams near SF or Marin and I live 40 minutes away from both but maybe I've just never seen it...the nearest I know of is the Hetch Hetchy which is hurs away and near Muir Woods where Caesar and his followers live.

9. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Eventually you end with Apes the look like from Tim Burtons
    Planet Of The Apes. Which was the best of his movie
    was special effects by Rick Baker.

10. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Yes, the filmmakers did take some artistic license with their California geography, didn't they. :laugh: But it was kinda cool to see some of the visual references....the Mt. Tamalpais sign, for example. And I liked the song they used when the power came back on at the gas station.

The Weight

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    CusBlues likes this.
  11. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Does anyone else think that Gary Oldman looked like David Bowie? I thought he did.

Our family saw the movie last night and really liked it. We saw it in 3D but picked that showing based on the time. None of us thought the 3D added anything. I don't recommend paying extra for it.

The plot is good and there were characters I cared to root for and some I cared to I root against. I think most people who like this concept will like this movie. As previously stated, the CGI is very good.

12. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I actually like this better than Rise

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

A few spoilers in this short interview clip with WETA supervisor Joe Letteri.

14. That should have been not near major woods.

15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Saw it again today in 3D - some shots are vastly improved in this format however it's offset by some annoying side effects that I didn't like in other scenes that are not present in 2D (any high speed action, any shot where the focus is on a character in the background with someone in the foreground didn't look right at all).

16. ghostdwg

ghostdwg Senior Member

Saw it yesterday with my daughter-we both enjoyed it a lot.

17. The area is called Muir Woods. And no there is no dam nearby.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  18. Yes, I know. I live about 40 minutes from there. It was my lovely ipad doing an unexpected spell check correction.

SF gets most of their power from Hech Hetchy which is, what, about three or four hours away.

19. Yup. I lived in San Francisco for 50 years up until six months ago. I love Muir Woods and Mount Tam. Spent so much time in that area. Happy the apes have it now.

20. It's a pity they didn't really shoot there beyond the beauty shots.

21. I dint think Muir Woods needs a film crew of several hundred trampling through. They did shoot slit of exteriors in San Francisco though.

22. Yeah you're probably right about that. Most of the film was shot in New Orleans and British Columbia like a lot of Fox big budget films lately. Most of the shooting for SF was for background plates as I recall.

23. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I remember seeing the sets for the entrance to the human headquarters in New Orleans, so I was on the lookout for those. Lots of CG around that, of course, but the CG was VERY convincing. From the first moment when the apes appeared, I was impressed. It's a real state of the art movie concerning the depiction of CG characters with nuanced, recognizable personalities. Far more than Avatar, for my money.

mikeyt likes this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I like Franco, great in Homefront and that rasta hair druggie thing he was in.

25. Yeah

Yeah Well-Known Member

Definitely "Yawn Of The Planet Of The Apes' for me. I was wishing I'd brought a pillow after the first 15 minutes. I liked 'The Lion King' the first time I saw it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.