"Day After Tomorrow" Anyone here seen it yet ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ksmitty, May 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't go to the theater to see movies much but was contemplating on seeing "Day After Tomorrow" with the wifey. I was curious if anyone has seen it yet and if so is it a very good movie ? My wife and I both enjoy the Doomsday and Disaster flicks sometimes .

2. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I don't mean to thread-crap, but it doesn't look that great to me.

3. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

I just saw it tonight in fact. Ridiculous and unrealistic, yes, but very entertaining. I enjoyed it. It's a fun flick in the same vein as Dante's Peak and Twister.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

They keep destroying the Capitol Tower in those ads over and over again. That poor round building has been destroyed in more moveis than the Capital dome. Heh, a pun..

5. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Oooohhh, a "Capital" pun on Steve's part....

Looks like another Hollywood no-brain disaster epic. Still, I like to shift my brain into neutral from time to time, so I may check this out.

Evan

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I plan to see it alone because my wife doesn't dig many movies that are set in the present very much. I don't think she digs disaster movies much either, although she only watched The Titanic for the ship capsizing.

I don't care if it isn't scientifically accurate, or offends some people's political views, I just like to see disaster movies!:D

7. vibes

vibes Forum Resident

I saw it and enjoyed it. Of course it's ridiculous, but I found the premise of the story interesting and the special effects were very cool. It's obviously not the kind of movie you go to and look for Academy award-winning acting.

8. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

My favorite weather website blasted it due to all of the climate-related inaccuracies--basically, cool special effects but highly fictitious and too much melodrama. (Their point was to enjoy the movie only as entertainment and not worry about it ever becoming fact.) I saw the preview of it and just thought about how low Hollywood has stooped since the 80s to make an entertainment dollar. Not to mention a disaster movie made primarily of computer graphic manipulation... :shake: Also IMHO, the whole "global warming" agenda reeks of politics in this election year... :shake: Count me out of this one. :shake:

9. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I've seen some extreme reviews. 5 stars in The Toronto Sun, 1 star in Rolling Stone.

When I saw Dennis Quaid was the star, I knew the effects were the real draw.

But hey, Independance Day is silly, but I ALWAYS watch it when it's on TBS! :)
    It's probably a good popcorn movie. Has the Statue of Liberty showed up in EVERY disaster movie in the last 10 years??? :confused:

10. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Saw it on Friday. Completely impossible scientifically, D-U-M-B hackneyed plot, cookie-cutter characters. The crusading scientist who knows what's really going on, but the bureaucrats won't listen to him until it's too late! :rolleyes: The prez and vice-prez in the movie are thinly disguised caricatures of Bush and Cheney. But realllllly cool special effects. Coulda used more special effects. Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream, as it were...

P.S. When The Crusading Scientist (Dennis Quaid) is giving his speech on the evils of global warming, he shows a graphic of the ocean's currents, but they're running backwards! Nice continuity slip, especially if the movie's makers are trying to prove a point.

11. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I saw it for the Saturday matinee. I enjoyed the special effects a lot, and always like to see what creative ways Hollywood comes up with killing off humanity. I saw the global warming plot as nothing more than a convenient plot device, like the nuclear threat in the 50s horror films and the Planet of the Apes series. Did anyone really think if we didn't get control of our nukes, apes would someday take over the world? So, if you want a couple hours of escapism, it's worth taking in, at least until Harry Potter shows up this weekend!

12. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Saw it last night. I thought it was better than most movies of it's type. But what was pretty great was seeing a Summer Action Film where no one killed anyone else, most every character helped others, and there was no bad guy.

Jimbo has the right idea "Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream, as it were..."

-BZync

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

To me, INDEPENDANCE DAY remains one of the stupidest movies ever. Well, it was good until Will Smith's character beat up an alien in the desert. Then, the movie got stupid.

14. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Yeah, that scene brought it right down. I'd be running for the hills! Never mind punching out an alien!

Even worse was the scene with the "triumphant" Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum ( :confused: Can't stand him) walking towards the camera. They looked beyond stupid!

15. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Whatever happened to the good ol' stupid disaster flicks like "Earthquake"?? :laugh: I remember seeing that in the amazing new "Sensurround" at our local theater. In retrospect, and watching bits of it today, it IS kind of a cornball movie. "Poseidon Adventure" was the other one we saw...and today it looks even MORE dated! But sometimes I guess we just need a little cornball in our lives. ;)

16. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

The disaster of disaster movies

Never heard much, or any comments, on NBC's earthquake flick "10.5". Perhaps forum members were to ashamed to admit they viewed this turkey. This cliche ridden piece of crap makes anything that followed look like high art. Talk about badly written, acted and directed. Not to mention scientifically inept. A clean sweep in all depts. Those that watched this network tripe may recall the scene in which the Head of FEMA was lowered down a hole to jar a jammed A-bomb loose, winds up with it in his lap and takes one for the team by detonating the thing. This in a vain attempt to halt a spreading earthquake fault. It was every bad element of every disaster movie ever made rolled into one.

Steve

17. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Perhaps the stupidest thing about Independence Day was that the aliens were PC-compatible. :D

18. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

They weren't. They were Mac compatible. And this is way cool. :thumbsup: !!!

19. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I also love disaster flicks so I will have to eventually check this one
    out on the big screen for a few laughs.

btw...I also saw quite a bit of "10.5". That was bad.

20. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Ah, yes - you are correct, sir! :winkgrin:

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Since the Eighties??? C'mon - Hollywood's ALWAYS "stooped low" for money. Don't see why this film signifies anything so horrible.

I saw it yesterday and thought it was okay. Is it ridiculous? Sure, but you have to give it one thing: it makes you think about the real ramifications of global warming, and it's brought more publicity to those issues. It may end up as a brainless summer blockbuster, but can others like "Shrek 2" or "Harry Potter" claim to bring real issues to mind? What'd "Van Helsing" do, alert us to the dangers of werewolves?

22. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

I saw it yesterday...

$7.00 and 2hours and 3 minutes that I will NEVER get back. Bad acting, stupid plot, and I didn't really buy the special effects. I thought they looked second rate. SOOOO many bad jokes and stupid lines that I actually said "OH COME ON" out loud. My wife owes me one for going to this piece of crap!!

23. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I could just see the distributors dilemma...

Executive: Well, NBC just did 10.5 so let's offer this one to ABC

Flunky: But Sir, ABC turned us down along with CBS and all the cable networks

Executive: Ok, so then we'll put it in the theaters so we can get it out to video

Folks, this one should have been a bad movie of the week, even my son was bored. I could have written this on the back of a napkin. Even the F/X have been done before.

24. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

While I don't disagree that "money money dolla' bill y'all" has been Hollywood's mantra for ages, I think you may be overstating "Day After Tomorrow's" accomplishment in bringing concerns about global warming to the public. That's like pointing out how Valley of the Dolls deserves credit for making you think about drug abuse. :)

Shrek 2 works better as social satire and a treatise on tolerance than DAT does as a "make you think" spectacle. Also, when viewed from the proper perspective, Van Helsing is a thinly veiled cautionary tale about the dangers of giving uncreative people a lot of money to make a blockbuster movie. :)

Regards,

25. RDK

RDK Active Member

As noted, dumb but surprisingly fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.