Day of the Dead - Grateful Dead Tribute

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Mar 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

10LP set. out 9.9.16. Crazy colored vinyl. 145$. On sale 6/9.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  2. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Well that didn't take long....

LP box set information just released. 10 LPs and $145

More information here...The official website for independent record label 4AD. »

3. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Just heard the Courtney Barnett yesterday. Had heard the War on Drugs a few times before. Like how the indie artists were allowed to work their own style into the performances.

4. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Not sure I'll lay down the cash for this but, woah, it's awesome looking.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Larry Loves LPs and Sordel like this.
  5. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Finishing my own thought, it turns out that "Nightfall Of Diamonds" is effectively the same band as Cass McCombs'. The heavy lifting seems to be being done by the Dessners, who are all over this boxed set (Aaron plays on five of the first six tracks). I've got to hand it to these guys - it's a huge commitment that they've made to this project, and not putting The National on the cover seems like an artistic and commercial misstep. Even Bryce Dessner's little tribute to Steve Reich ("Garcia Counterpoint") is good.

Hmmm ... I actually have some Yo La Tengo but it never bit at the time I bought it ... easy enough to dig out for curiosity value. I suspect that there are a few of the artists on this set that I'll be interested to follow up (never having bought anything by The National.)

I like the fact that they've included several of the non-GD songs on this set as well. "Morning Dew", "Peggy-O", "Jack-a-Roe", "Me & My Uncle" etc. really ground the album and give it a base-line for some of the more eccentric readings. On a shorter "tribute" this is just the sort of material that wouldn't have made the cut.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  6. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Um ... you do know that there's a version of "What's Become Of The Baby" on this set? Yes? (By the way, it's pretty amazing if you aren't put off by the idea of what seems to be a Dutch chamber ensemble.)

7. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

So it is! Sorry, I was thrown off by the kerning .:D

8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Ira Kaplan is Yo La Tengo's singer- guitarist. They are heavily influenced by Lou Reed/VU, as you picked up on, but he also is a fan of the Dead, and their song "Drug Test" included a line about "listening to Wake of the Flood" while high, natch. I haven't heard it yet, but Wharf Rat does seem like a slightly odd choice for him.

9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Great album. Seconded.

budwhite likes this.
  10. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

It's got Jenny Lewis. I have to have it.

ARK and Crispy Rob like this.
  11. Looks very cool. But this is the type of collection I'd do CD for $29. I know the vinyl would be cool but I also know I would hardly play it. If I buy, its the CD set.

ARK likes this.
  12. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

I haven't been too impressed by any of the tracks so far, but this one was a keeper:

Maybe because it's one that was never bettered by Jerry in a live setting? (Acoustic versions are nice, of course, but...)

hamicle likes this.
  13. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

The biggest miss for me so far is the version of "Truckin'". I can see what they were going for in emphasizing the 'drug party' side of the song, but it's an iconic song and I think they spoil it.

The version of 'To Lay Me Down' is very sweet (not the emotional pitch of the GD versions but good nonetheless) and I love what Bill Callahan does with 'Easy Wind'.

14. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

This morning I was listening to one track with pretty much unmistakable vocals and even my wife unexpectedly chimed in with 'who's this? Don't tell me! Antony and the Johnsons'. But, confusingly, that wasn't the billed artist.

All power to her, but I can remember when you only had to worry about a band breaking up and losing track of people ... not the established singer actually changing gender!

15. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Haven't heard the whole set yet, streamed it from spotify while making dinner. Mastering sounds loud as someone pointed out

So far I like the songs best that's pretty close to the original. Jerry wrote great melodies. So did Phil with box of rain.
    There's plenty of guitars but could use some more lead+rhythm interplay

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  16. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Either this is extremely popular with the masses, or else they shipped out very few copies to shops. Everyone I checked in with today was sold out by mid-day.

17. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I noticed that too

18. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Yeah I had been seeing a bunch of Twitter buzz about the new album from Anohni and was wondering who that was, it wasn't until I read the Pitchfork review that I put it all together.

19. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Hmm, seems like Bonnie Prince Billy was inspired by Hunter rather than Jerry for his vocals...

There is that same fragility there.

Mr. H likes this.
  20. sakuraba

sakuraba Forum Resident

Digging Help on the Way by Bela Fleck, Jim James' Candyman, both of Phosphorescent's songs and Uncle John's Band.

21. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Hopefully they won't press the vinyl at United.

22. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

4AD and the National involved ? multidisc set ? This will be United all the way ...

23. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Just listening now to "Standing On The Moon" by Phosphorescent and I agree, it's very good, but what's hitting me is how many songs here I've just never noticed before: that "crimson white and indigo" line really popped because I didn't realise that they got the album title from a song. My listening to the later catalogue has obviously been cursory to say the least.

Even more embarrassing: the Bonnie Prince Billy version of "If I Had The World To Give" is also really nice, I don't know the song and it's on Shakedown Street, which is an album with which I would have thought I had at least a nodding acquaintance. :oops:

Mr. H likes this.
  24. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

The last National album is stellar (was it really 2013!). Any fan of this comp owes it to themselves (and the band) to get "Trouble Will Find Me". You will not be disappointed. I wasn't a fan of the National before that album, but that all changed.....

Sordel likes this.
  25. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Oh, I don't need much egging on ... :D

I was looking at the Bonnie Prince Billy catalogue (and the thread about it here) as well, but it's all a lot of discography to pick from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.