Day of the Dead - Grateful Dead Tribute

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Mar 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

I've been sampling this over the past 24 hours and I have to say that I find the more straight ahead, reverently played songs boring. Tal National, The National and Bela Fleck take the songs someplace else, which is really what the spirit of the Dead was all about. Those are the standouts for me so far.

2. Krivers

Krivers Forum Resident

It is remarkably excellent. I have been listening this weekend. Highlights for me include:
    Morning Dew-The National
    Playing in the Band-Lee Ranaldo
    Touch of Gray-War on Drugs
    Terrapin Station-The National
    China-->Rider-Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks
    Wharf Rat-Ira Kaplan
    Here Comes Sunshine-Real Estate
    Bird Song-Bonnie Prince Billy
    Rubin and Cherise-Bonnie Prince Billy
    St. Stephen-Wilco (live) Nels Cline...awesome.
    There is so much interesting music here. Thanks to the artists who took the time to put this together. It is an excellent tribute to the Grateful Dead.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  3. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

The National did "Morning Dew" on Colbert:

jeffrey walsh and budwhite like this.
  4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I agree. My favorites are:

Charles Bradley's psychedelic soul version of "Cumberland Blues"
    Unknown Mortal Orchestra's Prince-like, super-funk jam on "Shakedown Street"
    Flaming Lips "Dark Star"

zakyfarms and katstep like this.
  5. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Just dragging you guys over to the right thread to avoid cluttering up The Grateful Thread!

My mileage varies quite a bit from yours, GuidedByJonO))). While I agree that the Courtney Barnett & Vijay Iyer tracks are both good, and I think that the "Touch Of Grey" is actually better than the original, the ones that have hit my hardest so far are as follows:
    • Bruce Hornsby, "Black Muddy River". A very moving performance of the late anthem; caught me off guard because I have very few recordings of this one with the GD and I'm surprised that this feels more sentimental (even) than Norma Waterson's version.
    • The National, "Peggy-O". Not a fan of the GD version of this, but I suspect that the close focus on the lyrics in The National version may turn me around on it.
    • Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, "If I Had The World To Give". Not a song I really knew but I think it's beautifully performed version and it's brought the original out of the haze of a big discography.
    • Perfume Genius, "To Lay Me Down". Sounds like Simon and Garfunkel doing one of my favourite GD ballads. It can't replace the GD versions exactly but it sure is sweet.
    • Mumford & Sons, "Friend Of The Devil". My wife likes the original and she absolutely adores this version, despite that neither of us are an easy sell for Mumford & Sons.
    • Bill Callahan, "Easy Wind". Love this version: he really nails the story of the song.
    • Phosphorescent, "Standing On The Moon". As I mentioned up-thread.
    • The National, "Terrapin Station (Suite)". Still impressed by this, although I think they do less well with the verse than the original.
    The average tracks - solid versions of the likes of "Dire Wolf" and "Me and My Uncle" for example - are nothing special but then, how often were they when the GD themselves played them? They mix things up and keep the set feeling fresh. As for duds, there aren't many jarring songs in the entire set: the "Estimated Prophet" is bizarre, but it's far from insta-skip. I've been enjoying going back and forth from my GD collection comparing versions.

6. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Where is this getting pressed? Who's mastering it? I'm real excited to preorder this when June 9 rolls around.

7. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

This set is pretty wonderful. I think it may be my favorite tribute albums now, taking the place of Deadicated (though, nothing will ever top Jane's Addiction's version of Ripple). I'll give it ★★★★½

8. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

I'm surprised this set isn't getting more discussion. Maybe y'all are waiting for the vinyl release? I have always been tepid on the GD (mostly due to Gen X prejudice, probably), but I have been listening to this all week and I'm loving it. maybe this will finally be my way into the Dead....

9. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

As at least a 25 year DeadHead (first show was in '91), I am absolutely loving this collection. A great selection of artists, great song choices, and fantastic interpretations. Some are close to the originals, some are far out, but the vast majority really work. Several, if not all, will be in my summer playlists.

Alex D and budwhite like this.
  10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Just don't expect to be amazed by their studio albums except for American beauty and Wokingman's dead.
    If you wanna get into to the band, it's the live recordings all the way baby. Much more so than any other band

johnnypaddock likes this.
  11. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Could be that the GD just released a 12 disc July 78 box set and their ongoing subscription series, Dave's Picks, just mailed out a new 3 disc set....that's 15 discs in the past month and now this is a massive 5'er.
    Like they sing...

"Til we all fall down
    It'll do ya' fine."

budwhite likes this.
  12. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

And if you are a Dave's Picks subscriber, you also just got that bonus disc too!

Sadly finances prevented me from getting the whole July 78 box, contenting myself with the single mass release Red Rocks show for now.

13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That's exactly it in my case. I have this in the listening queue pile but have been inundated with new music, GD and otherwise, lately. About 100 CDs of officially released GD in the last year or so! Not that I'm complaining... Am looking forward to checking this out soon.

budwhite likes this.
  14. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

That Lucius cover of "Uncle John's Band" is really cool. An electro-pop rendition should not work for this classic, but it does, IMO. Really cool.

Jackstraw78 likes this.
  15. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Fwiw I wrote to Matador and asked how many of these sets were being pressed. They said it depends on the amount of preorders.

Larry Loves LPs and Vinyl Addict like this.
  16. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

just tried to pre order the vinyl from 4AD and the site keeps failing. bummer

17. I've just discovered this today and I'm completely enamoured with it! As a fan of The Dead's studio stuff coupled with being a huge fan of a list of these artists this is like a dream come true for me in a lot of ways. Cant believe I'm only discovering this now!

ARK, Larry Loves LPs and Joe Spivey like this.
  18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Beginning to listen to this now. Some nice stuff.

19. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

I heard the version of "Terrapin" last night - I like how they did the later parts of the song that appeared on the studio album, but the Dead never did them live (that I know of).

20. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

My store told me today they weren't sure if they'd be able to order the vinyl set or not. I like to give them a head's up for pricey things so they know to get me one. But it might be a direct from 4AD thing only?? They were going to check, but does anyone know about that?

21. It's Felix

I ordered direct. That coloured vinyl looks amazing

BeardedSteven likes this.
  22. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I agree. It looks awesome and I'd be happy to give more of my money to Red Hot. But I will also give some to my local store if they can get it for me...

I did see that Bullmoose has it up for pre-order for $188 vs the 4AD store of $141. Ouch!

It's Felix likes this.
  23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

This thing is on 4AD???
    4AD?!?!?!

24. It's Felix

Pretty cool I think

25. It's Felix

It works.

Thread Status: