Day Tripper "dropout" - intentional

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StrawberryFields, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrawberryFields

StrawberryFields Active Member Thread Starter

I've read here, and in many other places, that the infamous"dropout" in "Day Tripper" is not intentional, but nevertheless "charming." It seems as though people have ignored, or forgotten John Lennon's statement regarding this piece. In an old Rolling Stone interview, John stated in no uncertain terms, that this was done intentionally, to see if anyone was paying attention. I realize a whole new generation has grown up without direct access to the facts here, but it is important to get the details straight regarding every recording done by the Beatles, in order to really understand them better. Even the otherwise excellent "Tell Me Why" book (I forget the author's name) makes this mistake also, and thus leaves the reader wondering why the Beatles would overlook such a glaring audio defect. Now, as many of us hardcore Beatle fans know, John often did not tell the truth about everything, but in this case it seems apparent that he did. The "dropout" is too complete (and occurs perfectly in synch with the rhythm track) for it too have been anything but intentional. This is another reason why it is so exasperating that EMI chose to "correct" this problem on the "Beatles 1" CD, but obviously this is minor compared to all the other ills EMI has visited upon us since the release of the catalogue in CD form. This is just another artifact which will go uncorrected unless Steve gets hold of the masters. What do we have to do to set things straight at EMI? Surely there must be some way of preventing the true intentions of the greatest pop group of all time from being circumvented by greedy, uncaring bureaucrats!

2. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Do you have a good reason for takin' the easy way out?

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It's not intentional. On the four-track there is an obvious punch in with a big pop at that spot. They just "fadered down" in that spot.

John was "having it on" with the interviewer.

4. StrawberryFields

Wish I did, J.B!

5. StrawberryFields

Steve, does that mean we can hear the original 4 track somehow (hint, hint!)?

6. sgraham

sgraham New Member

I also have trouble believing it's intentional. And I don't find it charming at all.

John Bliss likes this.
  7. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

I think it's more like a pop with some crackle thrown in.

All we need is "snap" and we could pour some milk on it.

I do not know if it was a punch in or just a malfunction at that spot.

8. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I always thought it was a bad note that got zapped. No one at that time ever thought these songs would get the kind of scrutiny they do.

mud-

9. Steve Hoffman

No, they would have "fadered" it down in mixing.

10. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

So it could be a bad note that's faded? Or as you said above a "pop" that's faded?

mud-

11. Steve Hoffman

It's not a bad note. There IS no note there on the "unfixed" tape; just a pop, or as my buddy states "a pop and some crackle". Not a nice sound.

12. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Got it!

mud-

13. StrawberryFields

Steve, don't forget that John may have wanted to leave the problem unsolved, rather than correct it, just as he did later in the botched "Working Class Hero" acoustic guitar "overdub." I know this was the Beatle era, before the more personal, "let-it-all-hang-out-warts-and-all" solo Beatles era, but still John often stated that he wanted to destroy the Beatle myth even then. That is probably what he meant in the interview. I don't have a copy handy, but it was John who brought up the issue and referred to "Day Tripper," NOT the interviewer. So it doesn't seem like John would have raised the issue, if there wasn't some truth in it. Anyway, thanks for giving us the facts about the four-track. At least now we know what happened initially, regardless of what John decided to do about it later.
    (Now what do we have to do to get our hands on.?.....you know the rest!)

14. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I'd be interested in seeing the exact quote from the Rolling Stone interview.

15. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

I've had the "unfixed" version on bootleg for many years now. To me the so called "fix" is MORE noticeable than the "pop and some crackle."

16. StrawberryFields

Right on, Dugan!
    That's exactly my point....that's why EMI should have just left it alone!

17. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Yeah, a version with the "pop" in has been available on bootlegs for a long time. It just furthers my opinion that not much care was given to stereo mixes back then. Had the track been mixed differently, the error OR the correction (fader) would not have been so obvious (it's not as obvious on the mono mix, and it has been faded there as well).

18. JWB

JWB New Member

A raw stereo mix (from the 1982 "Abbey Road Show" tapes) has been bootlegged and shows the audio defect in all it's glory.

There is a "pinch" and a "fwip" sound there, like someone hit "record" by mistake and then quickly stopped the tape.

So, yes, the dropout *is* intentional, but it's also equally as distracting as the audio defect itself.

*I like* the "fixed" DVD version. I honestly can't tell where the "patch marks" are. I don't know about "Beatles 1" - I never bought that piece of crap! :D

19. Steve Hoffman

The only mix I can stand to listen to of this song is the mono mix. Those twin-track mixes really suck bigtime. I can't imagine what they were thinking; I mean, these ARE four track recordings, with two music tracks and two vocal tracks. They could have done much better....

Even that ruff stereo mix with the "pop & crackle" that has been booted from here to hell sounds better with the proper EQ moves.

John Bliss likes this.
  20. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I've heard the glitch too, it's on some of the earliest Beatle bootleg CDs. I know this is heresy to some, but John Lennon had a habit of rewriting his own history.

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I always thought it was a dropout:) Just doesn't seem right without it. Can't make it much more than it is. Lot's of barking for a second;)

22. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

It's pretty clear from listening that it was not intentional. That pop/dropout is detectable on the most basic audio setup (I had some crappy Soundesign stereo as a kid and used to wonder "Ewww--what happened there?") If, as the initial post states, this was an intentional dropout to see if everyone was paying attention, it would not be so glaringly obvious.
    You can't miss it!

23. JWB

JWB New Member

Not quite.

It's *both* accidental *and* intentional.

- The audio glitch was an accident....a partial dropout and "pop/fwip".

- The "final" droupout was done intentionally to remove the audio glitch altogether.

In other words...it is an intentional dropout done to cover an accidental dropout with built-in noises.

The "pop" and "fwip" noises don't appear in any of the official mixes, only the bootleg....I think.

24. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Amen! :thumbsup:

25. StrawberryFields

I think JWB may be right here; technically speaking, the defect is both intentional AND accidental. But also, we should never underestimate the Beatles' ability to play tricks on the public. The Day Tripper "dropout" was only one example John mentioned (If I can locate his quote during the next few days, I will). Anyway, EMI should have just left it alone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.