DCC CD vs. LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AliMorid, May 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wes

wes Senior Member

I know that no one likes cd vs. vinyl debates.....but ya gotta admit....It can be pretty entertaining.......I'm sure a lot of the newbies will find it interesting......and they may be more curious to find out for themselves........It's part of what will keep the hobby and fire alive......

-Wes

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Eh, don't worry about it, AliMorid! That's the fun part!
    ;)

3. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Most of my LP's are not available on CD and most of my CD's are not available on LP, so I have to live with both formats. The music does come first.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

even virgin vinyl...

5. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I think it's a great debate however I think certin things need to be stipulated if anyone wants to have a rational debate over this subject. (Did I sound like a lawyer? It's the biggest word I know and I love to show it off.)

When you compare an LP to a CD you are actually comparing...
    The quality of the original recordings if they are different.
    The quality of the masterings and pressings of the given CDs and LPs.
    The quality of the CD system to the turntable system.
    On top of all that the rest of the playback system will inevitably have colorations which may favor LP playback over CD or visa versa.

In my limmited experience on the best vinyl playback systems I've heard compared to the very best CD playback systems I've heard the following is true to my ears.

The very best analog recordings sound better than the very best digital recordings
    The majority of analog recordings sound better than the majority of digital recordings.
    The best LP transfers of a recording usually sound better than the best CD transfer of the same recording
    The majority of LP transfers sound beter than the majority of CD transfers of the same recordings.

The equipment has a profound effect on these results.

I've done all I can to get the best vinyl playback system I could (barely) afford.
    I am always willing to hear any CD palyback system that anyone thinks will sound better.

6. Grant

There it is. Youse guys are putting all your marbles into your vinyl playback and probably don't put much into your digital playback. With the deck stacked in favor of vinyl, what do you expect to hear?

7. Scott Wheeler

Indeed my deck is totally stacked by virtue of the fact that I don't own a CD player. The comparisons I have made have been against borrowed CD palyers, some costing 5 figures (does that sound unfair?). As I said before many have come through my door and all have been shown the door. Anyone who thinks they have a CD system that will sound better than my turntable please let me know. My door is open.

8. Grant

The price of a piece of gear is not proof that it will sound superior.

9. Scott Wheeler

I think you have quoted me quite selectively and have read what you want to read into it. You seem to have ignored the following:

"In my limmited experience on the best vinyl playback systems I've heard compared to the very best CD playback systems I've heard"

What can be stacked in this? If you think there is any possibility of unfairness let me remind you of the one thing I have said in every post:

"Anyone who thinks they have a CD system that will sound better than my table please let me know. My door is open."

What can be more fair than this?

10. Matt

Matt New Member

I will say this about CD's vs. Lp's: from what I've heard (and to my ears), the improvement in sound is much more dramatic from an average home consumer turntable to an audiophile turntable than it is from an average home consumer CD player to an audiophile CD player.

11. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

AMEN!!! I feel the same way!

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Vinyl ticks, pops, clicks, skips, groove noise, needles, turntables, cartridges, tone arm adjustment , tracking adjustments, warps, cleaning systems, storage, PRESSING VARIATIONS! ( Do I have the best stamper? Best Pressing?) Way to much work and worry, let alone expense, deterioration after continual playing, Well I'll stick with my CD PLAYER and MY DCC GOLD CDs! So much convenience and they look so neat!

13. cunningham

cunningham Forum Resident

But you know..... it keeps us off the streets.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL!

15. Grant

AMEN! :cool:

16. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Amen Brother!!! But guess what- with all those variations you list above- isn't that have the fun- THE CHASE! Isn't that what keeps us ON the streets?

Chasing down just the right piece can be a great thrill. Finding a 2 or 3 dollar record that sounds BETTER than the CD release is great.

I understand that throwing in a CD is easy, and you can set it and forget it for the next 30 minutes and up, where listening to an LP you must deal with flipping it over. Then there are storage hassles.

ME- I prefer to deal with both. There are somethings out on vinyl that you can't get on CD.

He/She who dies with the most media wins!

Chris

17. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Me too. Vinyl and CD are both great. Neither are perfect. I wouldn't want to live with just one or the other, certainly.

It's all about the muuuuuu-sic ...

18. Scott Wheeler

That laundry list of issues that comes with vinyl is dead on. Vinyl is a pain in the ass. I would love it if quality LP playback were as easy as CD playback. Bottom line is quality is rarely convenient.

19. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Amen. Absolutely. Nothing good comes without an effort. If people are too lazy to acquire good sound, then to hell with 'em. Go eat your microwave TV dinners or your drive-thru McDonalds. Sure, analog takes a while to set up but once you're set up, you get great sound for a long time.

Or you can listen to that great sounding new Rush CD 30 seconds after you buy it.

20. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Uhh, you kinda just contradicted yourself. In your previous post you said:
    Hold the phone. Sorry Grant, I apologize, for I actually am contradicting my self with the digital/analog thing and the effort involved. If someone makes the effort they can be rewarded with great analog LP sound. If someone (engineer) makes an effort recording and mastering a CD, then we can be rewarded with great digital sound. And this has been proven. No pain no gain. But if I make the effort to put a good system together, I need to be rewarded with good recordings and sound that satisfy me musically and sonically. I have found these in both formats but much moreso in my LP collection.

21. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

If CD playback was better (or as good) compared to vinyl, SACD or DVD-A would have been dead from the start. But I'm not gonna waste time in any format war (I never did). It may be sad, but probably none of the members of this forum will live to see another standard establishing itself in a way the Compact Disc did. I must admit I like vinyl and have collected quite a few LPs(mainly pre-1990, though), but I am simply not willing to pay a 200% premium for that extra breath of life. About two months ago, I bought a mint used copy of DCC's Gold CD "Going Out Of My Head" (Wes Montgomery) for about $18. The LP sold for about $80 in the very same store then. The $62 I saved by not going for vinyl were quickly spent on equally mint copies of DCC's "RAM", "Bayou Country", and "Elton John's Greatest Hits". As it turned out, it is actually "Bayou Country" spinning on my CD player much more often than Wes Montgomery. What I'm saying is: With a given amount of "audiophile" money, it's probably much more fun to diversify (at least for me)!

Arne

22. Mike V

Mike V New Member

I have a 2nd hand Yamaha linear tracking turntable I picked up for under $200. My cart sure could use an upgrade. And the whole bit runs through my solid state Yamaha amp phono stage. Nothing special, but it works for now. Gives me more $$ to spend on software! As for digital, I dropped $1200 on a Denon CD player a few years ago. No, it doesn't play anything other than CDs. It sounds drop dead gorgeous. But it still doesn't sound as good as my vinyl setup.

I have said I prefer the DCC CDs to the same titles on vinyl. It's the convenience, I'll admit, plus they sound awesome. But Pet Sounds on vinyl is incredible. And Fresh Cream, etc... Until you've heard Clapton solo on "Sweet Wine" on vinyl, you really haven't heard it properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.