DCC Archive DCC Dreaming...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Holy Zoo, Sep 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-) Thread Starter

Ahhh... to dream! If only I could have the following, mastered by you-know-who.

1. The Pretenders - The Pretenders

This is one of the first 3 or 4 cds I bought in 1983. It always sounded rather thin and harsh to me. Mind you, the Pretenders first album was a fascinating mixture of pop and almost-punk, so that may very well be how it's supposed to sound. Still, I'd love to hear what Steve might be able to coax out of the master tapes.

2. The Police - Zenyatta Mendatta

One of my favorite albums, and the perfect Police album - raw and alive and vibrant, not as dark as Ghost In The Machine, and not as slick as Synchronicity. The A&M box set remaster sounds a bit sterile to me, hence I'd love to hear a DCC version.

3. Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

Although I've always loved the music, I've never been happy with cd copies of this album: the original US cd release, and the remastered cd from a few years ago.

4. The Beatles - Abbey Road

Now here, IMNSHO, is one of the best sounding albums of all time, and I've actually been pretty happy with the EMI/Toshiba Japanese "oops" release that I bought back in '84 or '85. Haven't heard the official US release. Anyways, since this album sounds so good as is, I can only imagine what Steve can do with it.

5. Rush - Hemispheres

The original US cd release of Hemishpheres was dismal. Completely dead, hissy, and (worse still) whoever mastered it decided to meddle around with the timing of a fade in a passage in the middle of the first track - completely destroying the first half of the album for me. I haven't heard the US remaster.

Steve - any chance of coaxing Anthem into letting you have a stab at the Rush catalog? :)

6. Heart - Little Queen
    7. Heart - Dog and Butterfly

These are my two favorite Heart albums. Since the DCC "Dreamboat Annie" is so wonderful, I truly hope that Steve can continue mastering the Heart catalog.

8. The Fixx - Reach The Beach

An absolute gem of an album, the cd release is lacking in bass and warmth where the original LP sounded just splendid.

9. Led Zeppelin - Presence

One of the least talked about Led Zeppelin albums, but one of my favorites. Of all the Zep albums, this one is has always the harshest sound on CD. I'm quite curious what Steve's mastering process could do with this.

and last, but CERTAINLY not least:

10. The Beatles - The White Album

A while back I was able to compare the CD release with the MoFi vinyl, and WOW, what a difference. The CD is just flat, and in comparison the vinyl is fully alive and dynamic. Everything sounds better, especially the drum sound.

So that's it!

Now... if I only had a genie and ten wishes... :)

[ September 28, 2001: Message edited by: Holy Zoo ]

2. Unknown

Unknown Guest

hard to believe DCC will release Sony's Heart... Sony already remastered Little Queen, Dog & Butterfly, Bebe Le Strange. They will come in February 02. Also they have compiled a 3 CD box set.

3. Unknown

Unknown Guest

There are so many titles I wish Steve would remaster, it'd be hard for me to come up with a list.....

4. Evan

Evan Senior Member

You know he is only one man. I just hope that he is mentoring other mastering engineers to the way. Mabybe he could be a guest lecturer at a local college. If you teach them, some may learn. Just a thought.
    ;)

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Evan, I do have my eye on a talented mastering engineer who works out of New York. He's young, but he's gonna be truly great! Rob LoVerde is his name...

6. eBay Feed

eBay Feed Automated

Thought I would dream a little, too...

Jethro Tull "Heavy Horses" I would buy any Tull on DCC, but HH is my favorite Tull album. I'll be "Crest of a Knave" could sound fantastic, too. And..."Stand Up"

Robbie Robertson "Storyville" One of my favorite albums.

Lynyrd Skynyrd "Street Survivors" My favorite Skynyrd studio album. They were definitely back on top of their game.

Badfinger "Wish You Were Here" Please!

Charlie Rich "Pictures and Paintings" Charlie's final album was great. Nice live blues feel.

Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here" Of all the Pink Floyd albums, I tend to listen to this the most. I guess just about any album titled "Wish You Were Here" will do for me...

Spirit "12 Dreams...", "The Family that Plays Together...", "Spirit", "Clear", and "Farther Along".

Bread "24 Karat Hits"...

John Prine "self titled" Pretty good, not bad, I can't complain...

Nat Cole "After Midnight Sessions" A truely great album. It would make a great addition to the other fabulous DCC Cole CDs!

Randy Newman "Sail Away" It would cost me a buck a minute, but it would be great!

Lyle Lovett "Pontiac" Lyle's albums tend to sound good, but a gold version couldn't hurt.

Rush "Permanent Waves" and "Hold Your Fire" One of my favorite bands.

King Crimson "Discipline" "Three of a Perfect Pair" "Beat"

Kate Bush "Never For Ever" & "Hounds of Love"

Renaissance "Scheherazade and other Stories" Yeah, right! Maybe a silver disc?

Marty Robbins "24 Karat Hits" volumes one and two! I think Marty is one of the most overlooked artists ever. His recordings are about as diverse as anyone out there. He didn't just write songs about El Paso!

James Taylor "New Moon Shine" I would love to hear a DCC version of "Frozen Man"!

Hawkwind "Warrior on the Edge of Time" I will probably be banned from the Board for mentioning Hawkwind, but what the heck!

and I will shut up after this one...

Dwight Yoakam "If There Was a Way" In thirty years, Garth Brooks will be a footnote (if he already isn't) and Dwight's recordings will still be listened too.

I've got to go take a nap now.

Tony

7. I think I remember seeing this on the old board but how about The Association Greatest Hits? I'd love to see them get the DCC treatment.

8. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I'm with you. I've been asking for this for a while. I wonder if the Classic vinyl would put a damper on DCC's prospects (assuming DCC would be interested in this title). DCC seems like a perfect match for this one. Let's hope.

9. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

Those are all great suggestions so far. If I were to throw in my 4ยข, I'd add:

Boingo -- eponymous

Yes -- 90125

10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Marty Robbins "24 Karat Hits" volumes one and two! I think Marty is one of the most overlooked artists ever. His recordings are about as diverse as anyone out there. He didn't just write songs about El Paso!
    >Tony, I agree with this choice and the Charlie Rich choice. Check out the DCC aluminum CD of Marty Robbins's "All Around Cowboy" album from 1979, which is his final Cowboy Songs album. Great sound quality, great music that I describe it as simply "Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs with Billy Sherrill production."

Dwight Yoakam "If There Was a Way" In thirty years, Garth Brooks will be a footnote (if he already isn't) and Dwight's recordings will still be listened too.
    >I agree with this one as well.

[ September 30, 2001: Message edited by: Bradley Olson ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.