DCC/Garland "Legends" CD: J. Cash, C. Rich, R. Orbison, C. Perkins, J. L. Lewis

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tone ded freb, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member Thread Starter

Anybody else have this one? Released on the Garland label in 1986. Listed in the various artist section of the DCC discography section as being mastered by Steve. Bought it from CD Connection a few days ago. CD lists John Golden/K-Disc for mastering credit. Blasted discography error it seems.:( Maybe a wee bit before Steve's day at DCC. Well, the Johnny Cash is pretty decent, as is the Carl Perkins, but less so. The Jerry Lee Lewis and Roy Orbison sound not so good. I would be interested to hear what anyone else who has this thinks about it.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

FIrst press mastered by John.

Second press mastered by me.

3. tone ded freb

Analogous to Toga Rock! So, do the SH CDs have your name on them? If they're like Toga Rock, then I guess the answer is "Yes." In which case, mine would be the earlier CD. Oh, well.

4. Steve Hoffman

I don't know.

But the original version sounded pretty good if I remember correctly.

Try it!

5. tone ded freb

Anybody here have Steve's version of "Legends" and know whether his name is on it anywhere? Now that I look at the back side of the insert, I 'm thinking maybe I do have Steve's CD. Don't see his name anywhere, but it lists certain CDs available from DCC. One of the CDs is "Ray Charles and Betty Carter," which I believe was a 1988 issue (unless it, too, had an earlier pressing), which would be two years after this "Legends" CD is copyright. So, maybe that's an indication that this is a second pressing? Also listed on the insert is Ray Charles's "Greatest County and Western Hits," another 1988 issue, which the discography lists as one of Steve's. Steve's "Toga Rock" says remastered in 2/1988 by Steve Hoffman on the CD. Maybe they just didn't put his name anywhere on the second pressing of "Legends"? Weird.

6. tone ded freb

One other thing, the jewel case tray card for my "Legends" CD has a UPC code on it "01096310015". My non-SH version of "Toga Rock" does not have a UPC on the tray card, while my SH version of "Toga Rock" does have a UPC on the tray card. This, too, would seem to support this "Legends" CD being a second pressing. Anybody out there have UPCs or no UPCs on their "Legends"?

7. Evan

Evan Senior Member

I had two copies of "Legends". The original one pressed in Japan and the later edition pressed in the USA by Technidisc. To my ear, the later disc sound better. The vocals were much smother and I suspect that it is Steve's mastering. The inner ring has "09/06/88D" which looks like a date code to me. Not real sure. Maybe Steve knows.

8. tone ded freb

9. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Here is the link to Evan's earlier thread on the subject ... My copy also has "09/06/88D" on the inner ring.

The back page of the insert of my "Legends" CD lists 18 other CDs in the "DCC Compact Classics Catalog" with the last one being "DZS042 John Lee Hooker/40th Aniversary Album" which Steve's discography lists as "1990" ... I have a suspicion that the date in Steve's discography is incorrect (probably should be 1988 or 1989) since "DZS040 Ray Charles/Greatest Country & Western Hits" has a date of 1988 in the discography.

Since the insert lists CDs that were issued 2 years after the initial 1986 issue date of "Legends", I think it is reasonable to assume that "Legends" CDs with an inner ring mark of "09/06/88D" were actually pressed in 1988.

In Evan's thread, Steve stated ...

"Regarding "Legends", I did a version that was only out for a short time at the end of the run, after the original CD master was destroyed by accident. I used the same raw tapes as John, and I have NO idea how to ID a copy. I've never even seen one. Sorry. "

If one assumes a 3 year license for the CD, the 9/06/88 pressing would be "at the end of the run".

10. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

bump ... :)

11. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

bump ... :)

12. Steve Hoffman

Chip,

Yes, the disc you sent me is the one I mastered. Hard to miss, actually.:)

13. tone ded freb

Looks like this remains at the top of my DCC most wanted list. Anyone seen any of Steve's version around lately?

14. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Thanks, Steve ... I thought it was your work, but I didn't have the original one for a reference ... you have to remember that I am not an audiophile, but I am working on it ... for those who are interested, the version of "Legends" that I describe above is the one which Steve mastered.

15. tone ded freb

Thanks for the confirmation on which pressing is which.

16. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Woooooof! I gots to gets a Steve done version of this (since I am rockabilly silly)!!! Hey Steve, since the Sun catalog isn't tied up with the major labels, a Sun comp for S&P or Audio Fidelity (dual layer, natch) could be a possibility, no??? (yes???)????? Sorry about alla the question marks - my guess I got Frank Gorshin on the brain (and Lee Merriwther looked fine as a replacement for the ultra gorgeous Julie Newmar)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.