DCC Gold CDs are still available...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Absolutely. I bought two sealed copies from Hollywood Sound in LA over the Net in October 2001 for $30 each - two was all they had. These were factory sealed, but did not have the number.

Regards,
    Geoff

2. ***PL***

***PL*** Member

That's fine, but I hope you realize you've bought a repackaged item! This is clearly not factory sealed!:eek:

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

PL, why do you say that? As others have said here, not all copies of 24 KARAT HITS! have a serial number. Are all of those discs resealed? Note that the disc I bought is not a cut-out. What makes you so sure that the disc was resealed and why would that happen? The disc came from a retailer.

4. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Unless you plan to keep the CD sealed and don't plan to play it, and assuming it looks mint and unplayed, I don't think it really matters whether it's a reseal or not. Unlike vinyl, even if the CD had been played, you can't tell any difference as it won't reflect any wear. Some of the folks here are compulsive collectors that think these CDs are to collect and accumulate and not to play. A reseal would presumably matter to them because the packaging wouldn't be in mint condition.

5. KeithH

Todd, I agree with you. The questions I have are:

1) How can someone tell that the Elvis disc I bought is a reseal?

2) Who would have resealed it and why? Was it resealed by a retailer or by a previous owner?

3) Is the disc I bought in factory-new condition or is it used?

I agree that CDs are made to be used and as soon as I get the Elvis disc, I am going to open it and play it. However, I do wonder if the disc was resealed, is there evidence of it being used? When I get the disc, I will inspect it. My plan is to put it onto a CD-R. I don't typically handle my gold CDs, as they do have some collectible value. That's not as bad as leaving them sealed. :)

6. ***PL***

***PL*** Member

Keith, if you're planning to open it, I'm sure it's fine and has never been played. Resealing is quite common at the retail level especailly as store chains change names and swap inventory. However, as a collector of SEALED CDs I can tell that item is a repack. This greatly diminishes its value if you were try to resell it as brand new.

Pat

7. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Uh oh, then you better search the threads on CDRs, as some folks here also swear that the CDR sounds significantly different than the original CD.:rolleyes: :eek:

8. KeithH

PL,

Thanks for your reply. When I collected sports memorabilia, I kept many items sealed such as packs of cards or sport figures. So, I understand the significance of a sealed item. However, with music, I feel like using the disc. I am very careful with my CDs, but with less common discs like the Elvis DCC disc, I will copy it to a CD-R and preserve the original.

I guess I was not the only one who viewed the Elvis DCC disc on eBay as originally sealed, as it went for $100. As discussed on this forum, a mint (open) copy went on eBay last week for $43.

Todd,

Oh, I have read those debates many times in the past. :) In my experience, CD-Rs made on my computer (Dell with NEC internal burner) or my Harman/Kardon CDR 30 component burner sound indistinguishable from the original CD on my revealing stereo system.

9. Mike V

Mike V New Member

It's probably never been used, but it does look like a reseal. I've bought a number of reseals in the past, and never had a problem yet (Joni Mitchell, Jethro Tull, Beach Boys, etc). The shrink in the middle of the back scan is not smooth, and the ripple effect on the front scan (toward the open edges) look suspect. I've never seen a factory sealed DCC like this, and I have a fair amount of still factory-sealed DCC.

Honestly, the seller may have no clue. Every reseal I ever bought came from a retail store. I don't know who does the resealing.

Look closely - the case is non lift-lock too. They might have been using non lift-lock for some of the Elvis run, but mine with the Ltd Ed sticker had a lift-lock case.

I wouldn't worry about it so much, but thought you might appreciate some detail.

10. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

I think the Elvis CD should come in a lift-lock jewelcase.

If I remember right the seller is a forum member, I guess you should contact him before opening the item.

Joachim

11. KeithH

Mike, I do appreciate the detail. Now that you mention it, I have bought at least two DCC discs that did not come in a lift-lock jewel case. Two that I know of right away are the CCR Pendulum and Cosmo's Factory discs. I bought Pendulum as a cut-out at a Music For A Song store last summer (the saw-cut mark was in the top and did not go through to the insert). The Cosmo's Factory disc came from a seller on eBay who auctions off a lot of DCC discs. For both titles, the discs and inserts were stone mint. I could always put them in lift-lock jewel cases to make me feel better. :)

12. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

On the re-seal issue, my guess would be that the original shrinkwrap was torn when they shoved it into a theft-prevention device. I've noted that phenomenon often at MediaPlay and Sam Goody on discs with non-standard packaging (like the outer slipcase on the DCCs).

Jay

13. Mike V

Mike V New Member

That's all it should take! Like I said, I've never had a problem with reseals. Enjoy it! It's a wonderful disc.

14. KeithH

Thanks again, Mike. I can't wait to get it!

15. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Actually...

I believe Tom Port still has Sealed Longboxes of this title.
    Try Humorem
    Peace
    Norm

PS: Hi Pat (****PL***)!

16. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member

I have just received a shipment notice from CD Universe for the (last?) DCC Orbison Greatest Hits gold CD at $27.85. Can't wait for it to reach me in the UK!

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Cee Dee's are meant for listening. I agree.:)

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Nice! Great Cee Dee.

19. KeithH

Jay said:

There's more to it than that. All the re-seals I have bought have come in standard jewel cases, not lift-lock cases. It is obvious that they were once in lift-lock cases because in replacing the black piece that the disc rests on (due to broken teeth on the spindle), I have noticed a ring on the back insert from when the disc rested on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.