DCC Greatest Hits Compilations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SalD, Jun 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SalD

SalD New Member Thread Starter

I know that SH uses individual masters strung together on his greatest hits compilations, which helps to insure spectacular sound. Most of these, like the Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Doobies, Al Green, et al, have multiple copyright dates which indicate several sources have been used. The Judy Collins, however, has one copyright date, 1972, when Colors was released as a compilation made by Elektra--who did not, I am sure, string together individual original masters. The CD also contains a never-before-released bonus track that sounds so much better than the rest of the disc it makes me think that it is an original master, and the rest of the disc is a master of Elektra's greatest hits compilation, which itself might have been second-generation. Am I off base here?

2. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Welcome to the forum, SalD.

I can't really specifically address the Judy Collins issue you mention, because I don't have the disc. Steve wouldn't have used a 2nd generation comp tape IMO - he doesn't want to remaster someone's remaster if you know what I mean. As for the sound of the bonus track, I bet you the difference is in the original recording itself (studio, engineer at the helm, equipment used in recording/mixdown/signal processing, etc...). Maybe Steve even did the mixdown on the bonus track himself? Whatever the case, I bet it's not a factor of him not using original mixdown tapes. I wouldn't put too much stock in the theory that the single copyright date means a single original Elektra comp tape was used.

I also don't think he necessarily strings together masters in the fashion you suggest. For LP cutting of comps, I believe he masters each track to open reel tape at 30ips (maybe 1/2 inch tape?), splices the copies together, then cuts from that source. Yes, it's a generation removed from the master, but my ears probably couldn't hear the difference. That step would not be necessary for mastering to CD, so those transfers would indeed be direct from the original master tapes.

FYI, using an example in your collection, I'm sure Steve could have found a safety copy of "Listen To The Music" by the Doobies (without dropouts/damage), but he masters from the original tapes, "Warts and all", which certainly makes me happy!!

Mike

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You've got it right, Mike.

Thanks!

By the way, the copyright dates mean nothing to a mastering engineer. Before 1972, there WAS no copyright (or Published) date on a record. After 1972, the year the song was FIRST published, stays with the song throughout it's life, regardless of who owns it at the moment. So, on a compilation, if some of the songs are older than '72, there will be no "C" line. From '72 on, they "C" line will match the original published year.

But, nothing to do with the mastering...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.