De Agostini - Jazz at 33 1/3 rpm series in UK newsagents

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Willowman, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

No 32 folks is going to be Herbie Hancock "Maiden Voyage"

2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

W H Smith's in Broadmead Bristol is still getting them in, but from the conversation I had I'm not entirely sure any go out on the shelves or they are all orders, possibly one gets put out, they showed me a Sonny Clark and it was in perfect condition, so Smith's may be a good bet for ordering a specific title if you know it's coming.

Incidentally if anyone is on the fence about "Cool Struttin'" I think it's a wonderful record and I'd have grabbed it if I didn't already own a copy or two.

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

Cheers, that's unexpected. it's quite a jump in the italian sequence on the first page.

4. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

Digital editions now popping up randomly, so I can tell you that after Maiden Voyage is Louis Armstrong plays W.C. Handy

JC12 and heliocentric like this.
  5. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Mine too. It arrived yesterday and I've loved the cover since it was sitting in my local Eason. However, imagine my surprise when I put it on...

morris_minor and jamo spingal like this.
  6. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

Not done it yet, but will back order Cool Struttin. Was thinking of The Sidewinder and Soul Station but bought both CDs yesterday in Fopp for £3 each. They were Blue Note, not the DOL or Not Now versions prevalent at Fopp. The entire Blue Note catalogue was remastered by Rudi Van Gelder and they sound great.
    Some of the DOL jazz vinyls look ridiculous, the back cover text has been re-typed, but the photos are poor copies. The front cover photos are bad scanned copies. Have you seen the coloured vinyl versions with the cutaway on the front ? Whoa ....

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Those coloured vinyl issues are hideous. One of the great things about this series has been the replicating of the original sleeves and labels and the good quality of the sleeves. If the vinyl artwork on a reissue looks wrong in some way I'll just buy a cheap CD instead, which is probably what the likes of DOL master from anyway.

The only public domain vinyl reissue I've bought is Julie London - Calendar Girl on Wax Time. To be honest, I can't fault it. It plays beautifully and is pressed on quality vinyl. It has the gatefold sleeve of the US original too. I found a UK original of it cheap over the weekend and it lacks the gatefold and has a track missing! I haven't played it yet as it needs a good and deep clean.

8. jamo spingal

I bought a DOL version of Coltrane's Blue Train a while back purely to frame it for the wall. Tonight I did a straight sound comparison between it and the DeAgostini licensed version. My setup is not bad with a Pro-Ject Debut SE 3 turntable and the difference between the vinyls was profound. So much for DOL being 180g vinyl, makes no difference if the source is not good, plastic doesn't cost much.

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. jamo spingal

Albert Ayler Live at Greenwich Village has been a surprise for a lot folks going by this forum. I was at the Village Vanguard last November so was more keen than usual on stuff recorded there so it was a big motivation for buying it. A bit much at first but now I just love it. Sorry for talking about Fopp all the time but I went there with a list of CDs to buy from the Ayler album booklet but there were no Ayler CDs at all.
    The Holy Ghost collection looks amazing quality and available on eBay but a bit too much methinks.

10. Tactical20

Tactical20 New Member

Looking forward to Maiden Voyage this week. Any ideas what's coming after that? And after that? Wish they'd just release a bloody list!

11. Patrick Cleasby

De Agostini - Jazz at 33 1/3 rpm series in UK newsagents

Let's put it this way - the dropping of the digital editions is as random as you'd expect if you have experienced back-orders, returns or customer service in general. It's a good job the product is good...

Also, I have ish 32 on one of my phones but not on the other. And I thought systems were systematic.

12. jamo spingal

Just received Cool Struttin from back order and will order Maiden Voyage. Just realised that Herbie Hancock is the only lead in this jazz series that I've seen live.

13. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

At least you have this series, Patrick! We have nothing like it in the US and they won't ship here. Oh, and hi there!

14. Purdieshuffle

Purdieshuffle Forum Resident

Anyone with a copy of "Maiden Voyage" care to inform us of the next offering ?
    I'm hoping that Lee Morgan's The Sidewinder and Art Blakey's Drum Suite from the Italian list will be making an appearance at some stage.
    Head Hunters & Thrust are two superb jazz funk lps that Herbie Hancock has released, for anyone unfamiliar with his music they are both well worth obtaining.

15. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

Post # 568

16. Purdieshuffle

Purdieshuffle Forum Resident

Thanks Daveymoore I must have missed that one...

17. Patrick Cleasby

Hi mate, they're really good, someone should get you a set and bring them over!

Ben Adams likes this.
  18. Daveymoore

Has their back issue website gone down? Tried a few times today and also their beatles back issues, can't get access to either.

19. Patrick Cleasby

Yes, just trying to get some more binders, and it is down. Have asked them. Digital Editions came back to life (not past #32 yet) so something else HAD to go down.

Daveymoore likes this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Just got Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Handy. Sounds great so far. (5 mins in!). Next is Gil Evans - Out of the Cool.

Daveymoore and heliocentric like this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

These records have been excellent, but the way the whole series has been run is absolutely dismal. They are near impossible to find in shops and the delivery times are far too long from the website. Now it's down!

They really don't seem to want to sell these records!

22. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

I'm a wee bit behind but what did you all make of Study in Brown and Cool Strutin'

23. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I was on ok earlier, looking at The Beatles collection. So they should have it sorted sooner or later.

24. Daveymoore

The 2 websites for back issues have been down for me for nearly a week. I e mailed them last Friday and they replied that they were aware and were working on it. Seems to be a very long time for an IT issue.
    Both Back Issues Shop links show

The Shop is currently offline.
    We'll get back soon.

Or if you go direct to the page it is
    The webpage cannot be found
    HTTP 404

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    OneStepBeyond likes this.
  25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I loved Study in Brown, only played Cool Struttin' once but liked it. Just played the new Louis Armstrong one at enjoyed it a lot.

I was going to give Study in Brown a miss until somebody on this thread said it was a highlight of the series. I'm pleased I took notice!

morris_minor likes this.