De Agostini - Jazz at 33 1/3 rpm series in UK newsagents

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Willowman, Jan 20, 2016.

1. JC12

JC12 Member

I believe the Italian series had 100!

2. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

This is from the De Agostini subsription page

"
    GENERAL FAQS

How many issues are there in the Jazz at 33 rpm series?

100 issues are currently planned for this series."

I am surprised that there are enough of us to make this a going concern, not as though there was a lot of publicity such as the Beatles series.

3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm at the car boot sale this morning and there on the floor is a box and I instantly know that lying flat in that box is a De Agostini Jazz magazine and LP, turns out it was two boxes and the first 28 issues, all still double sealed. I did a deal for the lot, worked out at £3.50 each, I pulled out what I wanted, my friend pulled out the ones he wanted and my local shop is happy to take what's left, especially as the ones left are the more commercial titles, so a good morning for me and a lesson that some people are getting rid of these and it's definitely worth looking and asking around. Although I do find it strange the person had never played one of them he said the reason he gave up was because Asda had stopped getting them in for him and he didn't want to go to Smiths or do use mail order.

jamo spingal likes this.
  4. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

Mmm.... lorries and falling perhaps. But good deal for you.

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

No, totally genuine, many of them came with an Asda reservation sheet attached complete with his name, I guess what we're always saying about modern vinyl buyers not playing their records is true anyway it filled in a few gaps for us.

Rather than trawling all the way through the thread can anyone confirm whether the ones that have mono sleeves are indeed mono, or stereo, I'm particularly thinking about the Clifford Brown and Duke Ellington, I already own copies, but if they are genuine mono I'll keep them as well, if they are actually stereo I'll trade them in and get slightly more not opening them, hence not checking myself.:)

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

BTW anybody got binders they don't need?

7. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

If you email them and ask for a price you can buy them.

8. Daveymoore

As I rely on ordering from the website (also these posts) and it is stuck at #34 what is the latest issue? From posts above (dated April 26th) I see that #37 is Basie at Newport, so is that the latest? Thanks. Any opinions on the Basie?

9. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

I subscribe and my latest issue is No35, "Motion" Lee Konitz. No36 is Max Roach Plus Four "Quiet As It's Kept"

Daveymoore likes this.
  10. Daveymoore

Thanks, I thought the website was more behind than that and Basie has not even been issued yet.

11. jamo spingal

This series is delivering a couple of major pluses : the mastering is excellent, and many of these albums may not be available in vinyl again.

Imagine70 and Man at C&A like this.
  12. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

Got a nasty mark on my Max Roach vinyl, I must add I didn't cause the mark, must have been in shipping to the shop. Has anyone experienced this and or returned to the shop? I got mine in Eason ( Ireland) and a few the issues I have gotten haven't been in great perfect shape which annoys the hell out of me. Just this time the mark is awful on the front so it double annoys me haha. That said the pressings have been great so far.

13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I bought the Max Roach this morning and the vinyl looked perfect, but the sleeve was dented and creased on all four sides and the front. It looked awful. I returned it but it was the only copy they had and the shop is the only local one that stocks these. So it looks like I'll have to use the absolutely dismal DeAgostini mail order to get this one. I hated using it so much last time and the only time I've used it, I can't make my mind up whether to order it or not.

14. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

Yeah same as me, it was the only one as I live in tiny place. Off to the city friday so will try and find another copy. I tried to order the Desmond LP from the site and it was a nightmare couldn't get through the to place the order, awful website for ordering. I say get another if you can, I know me it will piss me off. It's 20 euro, so it ain't too bad.

15. JC12

JC12 Member

I got nasty scratch on the Oliver Nelson LP - emailed de'agostini & simply returned it using the same packaging it came in - got replacement pretty quickly.

16. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

Did you buy it from them directly?

17. JC12

JC12 Member

Yes - subscriber...

18. jamo spingal

Does anyone find the binders useful ? I like having the booklets inside the albums but was wondering if having them together was useful.

19. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

Once I'd watched a youtube video to find out how they worked :whistle:

culabula likes this.
  20. Patrick Cleasby

38 and 39 are Benny Carter Further Definitions and Ike Quebec Blue & Sentimental...

Daveymoore likes this.
  21. Daveymoore

Thanks, I rely on the updates here to order individual albums as website no longer updates.

22. Patrick Cleasby

All part of the service...

JC12 and heliocentric like this.
  23. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

Have to say I am impressed with quality of the records so far, tho I must admit I haven't collected it from the start as I only seen them in local shop a few months ago. Anyone know how these are pressed? are they from digital sources?

24. jamo spingal

Unlike less scrupulous vinyl suppliers there is a good chance these will be from analog master tapes.

25. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

Even if not ( tho I hope they are ) they sound sweet.