De Agostini - Jazz at 33 1/3 rpm series in UK newsagents

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Willowman, Jan 20, 2016.

1. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

Unfortunately a bunch of original Impulse master tapes were lost when operations were transferred to the West Coast from NYC. However they still had good quality 2nd generation tapes I believe. The exception was John Coltrane when Bob Thiele of Impulse asked Rudy Van Gelder to make two original sets at every Coltrane session. RVG kept one set.
    Blue Note remastered the entire catalogue into high resolution digital versions. RVG was responsible for the process.
    I would imagine Columbia would have done the same and Ron McMaster has been very busy remastering for them.

2. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

Oh that's a bummer about losing them. You think they were stolen?

3. jamo spingal

It was only discovered later after ABC, Impulse's parent had relocated. Apparently it was an 'administrative' error to make space in the vault. Mental if true.

4. jamo spingal

If it's really an early copy of the original master then it makes no difference to me. I just listened to La Nevada from Out of the Cool and it sounds great.
    Impulse was the first jazz label that took the ethos of the independents and put the money of a big label behind it. Money into recordings and album presentation.

5. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

Yeah Impulse was a sweet label. The releases they had were stellar.

Admin error. man that sucks.

6. Spiltdown Man

Spiltdown Man Forum Resident

I've bought about a third of these so far. The quality is way way above other modern unofficial 'out-of-copyright' releases. Study in Brown is my latest that arrived yesterday.

Does anyone have an idea whether any editions will be turn out to be valuable/collectible in future? I'm thinking maybe issues where no decent alternative vinyl versions are available. Or where original vinyl issues are worth big bucks.

Or are they all just too mass produced?

7. jamo spingal

Probably too mass produced but you never know on some ....

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Great avatar of my favourite album by the absolutely wonderful Wedding Present. My first concert was The Wedding Present on the Bizarro tour. I also saw the 25th anniversary show a couple of years ago. Of course they didn't play an encore either time.

As great as they are, and I've been enjoying this series a lot, I don't see these records becoming more valuable than they cost now. The UK original pressings of the ones that were released here aren't very valuable after over half a century, even though they are scarce. So I can't see recent reissues ever being valuable.

But that really doesn't matter.

9. Spiltdown Man

Spiltdown Man Forum Resident

The Wedding Present were my first concert too around the same time (Jan 27th 1990 according to Setlist.fm). I remember my Dad dropped us off at the gig on his way to a night out. I found out some time later that he'd gone on to meet his mates and told them all that his son and friends had gone to a Village People gig. I got strange looks for years!

Great band and I still listen to Bizarro in particular a lot still. Some love interest had really broken David Gedge when he sat down to write that album. That's what gave it the edge over 'George Best'. Intense. Wonder who she was?

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It sounds better than George Best too. I got into The Wedding Present when I saw Brassneck on Top of the Pops. The concert went to was Sunderland on 12/11/1990 according to their website.

11. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

Was it the girl from Talulah Gosh or have I got my heartbreaks mixed up.

12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I love the way we've managed to turn a long thread on serious jazz into a chat about The Wedding Present!

Perhaps we should try this on all threads, like Beatles fans do!

heliocentric likes this.
  13. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

The Beatles!

Slowly we turned, step by step, ....

heliocentric and Man at C&A like this.
  14. jamo spingal

Charlie Haden Liberation Music Orchestra has Boc Thiele as the producer on the rear cover.

15. jamo spingal

Max Roach Quiet as It's Kept. Recommendations anyone ? The album's not on Spotify, YouTube videos have been removed. Snippets only on Allmusic. It does have the Turrentine brothers so has promise.

16. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

17. jamo spingal

Been ordered....

heliocentric likes this.
  18. jamo spingal

It'll be interesting listening to the mastering of the Max Roach record on Mercury. Don't know what other people think but the Rudy van Gelder engineered records generally sound best. I've read that since he engineered and mastered pretty much immediately afterwards it gave him an edge. Also he had a good handle on the equipment, one thing he managed to do was create a bigger dynamic range with his mastering equipment - meaning louder ! Other decks would blow components but his could survive.

19. jamo spingal

20. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

Man I got another album that was damaged, big scratch down the vinyl. The lady in the shop went ape-**** at me , was basically saying Im the only person who returns vinyl and bla bla bla, says she won't get them in for me anymore.

When you get them direct are they delayed?

Thanks

21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Absloutely awful customer service. I ordered Max Roach (issue 36). Received Count Basie (37), then another Count Basie and then Benny Carter (38). In spite of telling them I wanted number 36 - Max Roach, they still, after three attempts, haven't sent me it. By a long way, the worst mail order and customer service I've ever had.

That woman in the shop you get yours from sounds evil!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  22. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

Cheers for the advice.

She is one angry lady it seems. She acted like it was my fault it was damaged.

Man at C&A likes this.
  23. JC12

JC12 Member

I returned the Oliver Nelson on 14th January - got replacement on 27th January...

24. Tactical20

Tactical20 New Member

Anyone know what's after 39 (Ike Quebec)? Fingers crossed for Joe Henderson or Lee Morgan!

25. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

Bumper update for you. They did a random digital drop...

40 - Henderson - Page One
    41 - Silver - Song for my father
    42 - Monk - Misterioso
    43 - Ray Brown/Milt Jackson - Music in common
    44 - Ahmad Jamal - At the pershing but not for me
    45 - mingus mingus mingus mingus mingus