De Agostini - Jazz at 33 1/3 rpm series in UK newsagents

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Willowman, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Andy Tain

Andy Tain Forum Resident

So, I lost the last few hours re-watching Fast Show sketches after being nudged by this - genius - NICE!

imarcq and Lost In The Flood like this.
  2. Peewit

Peewit Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same but just saw this on the FAQ for the magazine website: "70 issues are currently planned for this series". It should be noted that a subscription can be cancelled at any time (hopefully quickly since it's via a 6p/minute phone line) but if that completist compulsion kicks in it could become an expensive habit!

3. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Sainsbury's. Plus my local corner shop had a copy.

hamicle likes this.
  4. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Thanks all, will try and pick one up this evening.

5. Youngsbest

Youngsbest Forum Resident

Bought mine yesterday. There were two long bits of swarf - if that's what you call the vinyl that is trimmed from the edge when it's taken from the press - in the inner sleeve, one still attached.
    Some very loud pops on So What and All Blues, sound like scratches, but surface looks clean. Some crackles too. Just unlucky with my pressing I guess.

6. ceedee

ceedee Forum Resident

just debris in the grooves. give it a clean.

7. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

Picked a copy up today from my local ASDA. Can't beat a new LP for a fiver. Gave it a spin and the disc had no problems. I would love to collect these but at £30 quid a month for two LPs is quite a lot on top of my current spending budgets and wish lists. may however pick up the next one in the series.

Shame they can't do a series for classic rock albums.

8. If I've read the info correctly, you can bail out at any time. Might be worth subscribing, getting the freebies and then cancelling maybe?

Or possibly selling off the albums you don't wish to keep to those potential collectors who don't wish to subscribe. Or possibly even coming to an arrangement with someone and sharing a subscription? Just a thought.

Best Wishes,
    David

9. golobali

golobali Forum Resident

To my regret De Agostini Germany stopped the series after 5 issues, but I don't know why (maybe not enough subscribers?). Hope you have more luck in the UK.

Ridin'High likes this.
  10. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

It wouldn't suprise me if this is a success that someone will find a way to do it. I guess with Jazz the albums are older and licencing etc will be cheaper but hey, what do i know, have to see what happens.

11. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I'm a little confused over the order. Ive seen it varying in different places. I saw it as Kind of Blue followed by Blue Train then Lady in Satin but the order is different elsewhere. Perhaps they are deemed the ones most likely to get people interested and certainly they are the 3 I want on vinyl. Some of the later ones too but cheaper to buy the ones i want individually. Certainly up for getting Blue Train if that is the next release.

12. ceedee

ceedee Forum Resident

i would have thought giant steps would have been a better coltrane selection - but they may not have a deal with atlantic.

13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm pretty sure it's Miles, Trane, Billie as you said, hopefully the UK will go all the way and not stop on number 5.

I suspect that a large chunk of these are licensed from Universal with lesser numbers from Sony, Fantasy and perhaps one or two other labels, it's hard to keep track of who owns what, but I didn't notice any Atlantic, I'm not sure you could find so much classic rock from just one or two labels, although with Universal owning EMI perhaps you could these days, but then I guess Universal would want a lot more money for that catalogue than for their 50 and 60 year old Jazz titles many of which are getting PD releases in Europe anyway.

14. horslips

horslips I'd rather be out on my bike!

Sometimes these partwork publishers "test" a market or a product by doing a limited issue. It may be that you will see this relaunched in full later.

15. JQW

JQW Forum Resident

I've seen DVDs from other partwork publications dumped in cut-price book shops soon after publication has ceased. The same could happen here.

16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that DeAgostini have a policy of not doing that unfortunately, plus I assume that once the series is up and running they will just be pressing whatever numbers are needed to cover subscriptions plus a percentage to cover back orders and faulty product, with records they won't want to be paying licensing, publishing and manufacturing on too much unsold product, I'd guess there will be maybe 10 times as many copies of the Miles as whatever the last title is, perhaps 5 times as many copies of "Blue Train" and 3 or 4 times as many "Lady In Satin", the later LPs will be pressed in much smaller numbers dependent on how many subscribe. Having said all that with turnaround times for presses being what they are I assume they already have a certain number of titles pressed and ready to go, or they have a very good relationship with their plant.

17. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

Shall have a look for this later this afternoon, if they don't cancel it...this will be a great way for anyone looking at getting into Jazz

18. Lord Rocker

Lord Rocker Forum Resident

Also a great way for Jazz bods like me to get decent sounding reissues without P/P and shop mark up too. The Music On Vinyl reissue of KOB is £20 in my local store for instance and add £4 if I want it posting. If I could justify the monthly expense and the rest of the titles sound as good as this KOB I would def subscribe. I'm pretty blown away by how good this first pressing is and would love to know more about the mastering/source of tapes etc

adriatikfan likes this.
  19. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

Just picked up my 1st issue, I'm going to run it through my Spin clean as I d0 with all new vinyl, then probably spin it tomorrow. Going by the feedback this thread is getting most folk are pretty happy!

Ridin'High likes this.
  20. Well, I've now listened several times and I am very happy with this first edition.

My copy is very quiet indeed - very clean vinyl.

Best Wishes,
    David

Ridin'High and Gibson67 like this.
  21. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I've been reading through this thread. Pretty neat to think you can grab a record off a Magazine stand!

Lord Rocker likes this.
  22. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Saying that reminds me a little of the old Flexipop magazine in the early 80s - people of my age in the UK (40 somethings) might remember it. :D

[​IMG]
    I actually have two copies of that flexi (no others and no mags, unfortunately...) and it was the only double-sided one as I recall.

But back to the topic. As DeAgostini have done so many of these partworks now*, I'd not be surprised one bit if this jazz series was just the first in a line (or genre) of vinyl 'sets' but as many say - the success of this one remains to be seen and it would rest on that. There will likely be a good few of these on the shelves until it becomes subscription-only; I see the Zippo lighter one is still in shop windows and currently on issue 10.

*I've picked up various DVDs - installment #1 of The Prisoner Collection for the Dangerman colour episode 'bonus' disc... a number of war films... some Clint Eastwood... but only ever subbed to get the whole lot of the Carry On films. :D

Man at C&A, roverb and Imagine70 like this.
  23. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

I was tempted but I remember doing something similar with "the blues collection" on CD, I got up to number 36 when I stopped, no idea how many there was in the series but about a third are still wrapped, £30 a month is a lot if you consider Spotify is £10 and I could pick and choose my purchases

I too have the carry on collection now that was worth it:D

chrisblower and OneStepBeyond like this.
  24. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Ah, but the Blues Collection was Orbis - I've got a chunk of them (quite random), probably from when it was re-released. Orbis did The Classical Collection too and I had a lot of those as well.

25. JQW

JQW Forum Resident

I subscribed to that. It eventually ran to 90 issues, plus a couple of extra volumes entitled "The Blues At Christmas" that appeared on newstands in December. The publisher was Orbis, who got bought out by De Agostini some years ago.

The Blues Collection had a couple on contractual problems during its run, which affected some of the planned issues. They had planned to issue some albums from Takoma, but the acquisition of that label by Fantasy ended those hopes. Then there was also the problem with the Chess catalogue which they licensed from Charly - only for that come to an end when courts declared that those rights belonged to Universal. Consequentially some of the later issues were somewhat poor, and the series was padded out with several multiple artist compilations.

OneStepBeyond likes this.