De Agostini - Jazz at 33 1/3 rpm series in UK newsagents

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Willowman, Jan 20, 2016.

1. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Issue 24: Take Ten/Paul Desmond
    Issue 30: Cool Struttin'/Sonny Clarke

Might be easier though, to point out which ones to really avoid as most are truly fantastic.

In my opinion:

Issue 20 Charlie Haden/Liberation Music Orchestra (debatable)

Issue 27. Albert Ayler/In Greenwich Village (not debatable)

Issue 16. Wayne Shorter/"Speak No Evil" (unless keen on cacophony).

Also: the latest one Issue 64 (at time of writing) is fabulous but a dreadful pressing (the worst so far). I’ve reported it to DeAgostini.

Daveymoore and Porkpie like this.
  2. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

Very easy to get a feel for the music on each album by listening to clips of tracks on allmusic.com and Amazon. Read reviews and take the plunge on those that appeal, good to be adventurous and discover new music. I must have bought at least 40 from this collection and not been disappointed.

3. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ll definitely check out clips before purchasing but with a 2yr old and running a business I don’t have time unfortunately to sample all 60 odd so wanted some pointers. So far I bought Miles Davis (Kind of Blue) and Take Five and both were excellent pressings. Are the Lee Morgan and Blue Train pressings equally good?

4. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ll definitely check out those two. I’m guessing Take Ten is in someway a response to Take Five and Cool Struttin’ is cool jazz.

5. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Also very cool is Blue and Sentimental/Ike Quebec.

Porkpie likes this.
  6. Daveymoore

[QUOTE="Porkpie, post: 19053101, member: 57722" Are the Lee Morgan and Blue Train pressings equally good?[/QUOTE]

Short answer - yes.

Porkpie likes this.
  7. culabula

culabula Unread author.

In the main, the pressings are top class. The only problems I’ve had have been with the latest, N° 64 and one other, which was so long ago, I can’t remember what it was.

There is no problem getting a replacement copy from DeAgostini, the only issue is waiting three weeks for it.

Porkpie likes this.
  8. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

It’s funny, I love music and have listened to it for 30 something years but getting into jazz and not knowing where to start I feel like a complete newbie to music. I don’t see myself becoming a fully immersed, jazz only listener but I definitely enjoy cool jazz and will sit and listen as opposed to the idea of it being “background music”.

Man at C&A and Daveymoore like this.
  9. culabula

culabula Unread author.

We seem to have a very similar attitude, (lack of) experience thereof, to jazz and taste therein. Therefore, I stand by the ones that I have suggested which have satisfied my expectations and I feel, may do so for yours.

I like that cool, breezy, melodic acoustic and analogue sound (though I know these are digital masters) -but I’m sure you know I mean, flutes, double bass, shuffling drums, acoustic guitar and so on...

Porkpie likes this.
  10. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ll be checking those out on Youtube tonight so I can order from Deagnosti in time for Christmas

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. DKM

DKM Active Member

Anyone know what #65 was and what #66 will be?

12. culabula

culabula Unread author.

N° 65, which I just bought, is Errol Gardner/Misty and is an excellent pressing unlike N° 64.

Daveymoore likes this.
  13. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

Didn't chip in as someone had 64 and I expected them to say Errol Garner from the 'coming next'. 66 will be The Modern Sound of Betty Carter.

Daveymoore and jamo spingal like this.
  14. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Is there a Vince Guaraldi release in this series?

15. DKM

DKM Active Member

Thanks for the info. Gave up the subscription a little while ago and now just cherry pick when I hear what the new issues are. Already have a version of the Erroll Garner, but must admit I know nothing of Betty Carter!

16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I was hoping to stop bothering with anything DeAgostini and have been buying either CDs or second hand vinyl of the titles I've wanted recently. I do want that Betty Carter LP though and I don't think it's ever had an official UK issue on CD or vinyl.

17. Spiltdown Man

Spiltdown Man Forum Resident

I would recommend No. 17 Sonny Rollins 'Alfie' original soundtrack music. Great 'cool jazz'-ish music, great pressing and lovely gatefold sleeve. One of my favourites of the series so far.

Daveymoore, Porkpie and Man at C&A like this.
  18. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

As long as Cilla Black doesn’t pop up on it and start wailing I’ll check it out.

19. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

It’s worth it. No Cilla Black, or the film soundtrack. It was re-recorded in the studio by Impulse.

Porkpie likes this.
  20. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

There’s a lot you could recommend in this series. I especially like the whole package of the Impulse recordings, gatefold sleeve (a bit thin though), booklet and good pressings from MPO primarily.
    The Blue Note masterings I think are excellent.

Porkpie, Daveymoore and Man at C&A like this.
  21. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

I finally got my replacement Drum Suite today, I had to nag them though, they’re not the best at correcting their mistakes in a timely manner.

22. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

67 is Coleman Hawkins - Wrapped Tight

DKM and Daveymoore like this.
  23. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Daveymoore likes this.
  24. Daveymoore

25. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Changed the number on the address bar.