De Agostini - Jazz at 33 1/3 rpm series in UK newsagents

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Willowman, Jan 20, 2016.

1. culabula

culabula Unread author.

You can’t order them online to be sent to Greece. However, you could buy many of them for as little as 10GBP on eBay.

porotikos likes this.
  2. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

thank you guys. i have friends in the Uk that could help. ebay is a good option. but not many are with 10 pounds price. also they dont include the booklet. i havent seen it so i cant comment. what is inside every book? is it necessary to have? or not? the album is just the sleeve with a plain inner? thank you

3. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

The booklet that comes with the record is a nice touch. It documents the artists history and the making of that particular album. They are made up of 6 pages and lists musicians also to have worked and contributed to the album. There is usually a page suggesting albums by the same artist too.

If you buy the album without the booklet, then it’s a white paper poly lined inner sleeve.

Ridin'High and porotikos like this.
  4. Gibson67

Just wondering from fellow members who subscribed to this collection, do you think it’s sort of come to a strange ending? I recieved my issue No 69 on Wednesday and saw No 70 next issue advertised in the booklet, nothing at all saying it was the final one?

I emailed customer services mid week and they did confirm that No 70 is indeed the final offering.

5. Sci-Flyer

Sci-Flyer Forum Resident

I subscribe and received issues 67 & 68 together a couple of days ago (they send them in pairs every 4 weeks). There was the usual invoice included with details of when they’ll take the direct debit but nothing else. If it weren’t for this thread I’d be none the wiser that the next delivery with issues 69 & 70 will be the last.

It’s a shame the series is ending as they are quality pressings and £15 each including shipping is decent value. It’s introduced me to many albums I was unaware of and I enjoyed the surprise of what came through each month. Although my wife will be happy it’ll be £30 less a month spent on vinyl!

As a company they’re not the greatest. The delivery of things like binders was a bit random. Most disappointing of all was the mispressed Art Blakey Drum Suite LP where you had to contact them to request a replacement rather them automatically sending one to all their subscribers. I’d probably think twice before signing up to them again despite really enjoying this series.

6. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

in that case (and if the booklet fits inside the record sleeve, it is a must have. And it shouldn't add to much to the weight, right? Thank you so much

7. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

8. Gibson67

Really going to miss this collection, just issue No 70 left for me.

jamo spingal likes this.
  9. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

Michael Cuscuna talking about Columbia's horrible fake stereo versions from mono tapes, with no one bothering to check if stereo sources existed in the archives, and they did for Milestones.

10. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

Could this be the end of the series?

My monthly delivery arrived today with only one LP, issue #70 .

The LP is The Oscar Peterson Trio - Night Train

Richard

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  11. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

Yes, been posted here several times.

12. FangfossFlyer

In the 1,000 posts I read speculation but must have missed the confirmation of such.

All the best and sorry for any repetition,

Richard

13. Sci-Flyer

Sci-Flyer Forum Resident

Got issues 69 and 70 through today as part of my subscription. No mention whatsoever that this is the last in the series. If it wasn’t for reading it here I’d be assuming I’d be getting a delivery next month as usual. Mind you Deagostini haven’t been the greatest company to deal with during this series so I shouldn’t be surprised.

14. Sci-Flyer

Sci-Flyer Forum Resident

Wrote to them today about Jazz 33 1/3 to make sure it was ending before I cancelled my subscription Direct Debit and got this response...

Good day

Thank you for taking the time to write to us .

Kindly be advised that we have 100 issues planned for this collection.

If you require any additional information , please feel free to contact us .

Kind regards

Lee

Customer Care

15. Gibson67

I too wrote to them, they told me 70 issues then it’s finished. My no 70 arrived today with booklet stating that the subscription has ended, thank you hope you enjoyed the series the Editor

16. Gibson67

[​IMG]

I’m taking this is the end

Daveymoore likes this.
  17. Sci-Flyer

Sci-Flyer Forum Resident

Ah, I never noticed that message on the back of the magazine - cheers. Nothing was mentioned on the invoice where I automatically looked.

Why doesn’t it surprise me that their customer services are sending out conflicting information?

Gibson67 likes this.
  18. Gibson67

It’s a shame that the last binder is half empty!

19. Sci-Flyer

Sci-Flyer Forum Resident

I gave up on the binders early on and just slip the magazines inside the sleeves. Been a good series and I’ve discovered a bunch of interesting albums I’d otherwise probably not have purchased. I think I only owned about half a dozen of them already. Decent pressings too. They’ve not been the best organised company though and I’m not sure if I’d use them again.

Man at C&A and JC12 like this.
  20. FangfossFlyer

I also forgot to notice that on the back of the mag for issue #70 it says that it is the last issue.

I have really enjoyed the series which has also introduced me to a world of new music.

The LPs have been of a very high quality and I have to say I have been fine with their customer services who have always responded in a timely and professional manner.

Richard

JC12 likes this.
  21. Sci-Flyer

Sci-Flyer Forum Resident

Just had a few issues along the way. Had to chase them up a few times for the earlier free gifts, binders and a replacement for the mispressed LP. Was disappointing the fact they never automatically sent out a replacement for the mispressing to their subscribers.

JC12 likes this.
  22. TomPManchester

TomPManchester Forum Resident

Disappointed they’re not doing the full 100, great series, dodgy customer service aside.

The booklets may look like a token gesture to add to perceived value, but they’re really well written, and just concise enough. Suggested further listening choices are great too. Hats off to whoever was commissioned to write them.

23. jamo spingal

Absolutely, a great addition to the already great £14.99 price for fully licensed, great facsimilies, very well mastered and good pressings on 180g vinyl. What's not to like about the product !

Man at C&A, JC12 and FangfossFlyer like this.
  24. jamo spingal

Inspired to buy Eric Dolphy Out to Lunch which I've had on CD for a while. I wonder how long they'll keep the back ordering going ?

25. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

would like to know that as well