De Agostini - 'The Beatles Vinyl Collection' mail order set via subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OneStepBeyond, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roddy

Roddy Active Member

Oh, that would be tempting. Despite the fact the we've already got each of these songs several times over with the current collection!

For a new collection restricted to single artists, the ones I think would fit and I might be somewhat interested in would be Dylan or Bowie - large, diverse collections over a long period.

2. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member Thread Starter

A collection with picture sleeves would be sweet as anything... I'm collector of 45s and so it follows that I have about 50s Beatles ones (only half a dozen EPs in there though.) But it says 'The complete collection'. Unless that's something that occurred in translation, taking in all the the worldwide a&b side variants, that would easily run into the 100s... couldn't it?

edenofflowers likes this.
  3. Simon B Kelly

Simon B Kelly Forum Resident

Presumably it would just be the 26 official UK single releases in picture sleeves, the same as the vinyl/CD box-sets, although they could include the 15 official EP releases too as they also classify as 7" 45rpm. Possibly even include the fan club flexis as well if they really want to make it "complete"...

Mr. Explorer and OneStepBeyond like this.
  4. bward

bward Senior Member

As a Beatles collector, I'd love to see a reissue of the Beatles 45's and eps. The American ones would be best, as they are unique, IMO.
    HOWEVER, the potential price tag on something like this makes me think twice.
    The recent fan club flexis averaged $10.00 each. Can you imagine the cost of a run of reissued, boxed up, Beatles singles and eps with picture sleeves might be?
    The color vinyl jukebox 45's from the 90s were affordable at, if I remember, no more than $5 each, maybe $3? I think this would be on a completely different price level.
    For me, I'd be thrilled if they re-issued the US albums on vinyl with the same care as the UK monos.
    I know that would be expensive too, but easier to justify!

5. OneStepBeyond

That would be the logical thing to do. I've no idea how many singles were released in the US, for instance... and a quick Google didn't give me an answer but I assume it's somewhere between double and triple that were released in the UK. That's just going by looking at US single releases in a book that is long gone.

With so many of the EPs now being comparatively hard to acquire at a reasonable price, I'd love to have mint copies of things like Nowhere Man (although I see that there were reissues in the 80s...) I mentioned once about these being reissued as 12" singles - the SQ would be incredible. No chance of something as exclusive as that, though.

Please NOT the fan club discs - I got mine just before Christmas. :unhunh:

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  6. OneStepBeyond

The same thought crossed my mind on a few occasions...

7. Simon B Kelly

The original US albums on vinyl would be an interesting collection, especially if they used the original Capitol masters. However, as explained in the book that accompanies the 2014 Capitol CD set, they were often compiled using second-, third- or fourth-generation tapes, and modern equipment would only emphasis the reduction in sound quality. Of course, DeAgostini could use the new digital Capitol masters and artwork created for the 13-CD set - it would be nice to own a full-size butcher cover!

[​IMG]

8. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

I would be just as happy if they don't, since it would be hard for me to resist a reissue of 45s (though hard to get since I am in the US). The sleeves shown in the mock-up ad are 2 US, 1 UK EP, and I'm pretty sure the rest are Italian sleeves.

I haven't counted, but I must have at least 500 Beatles 45s and EPs, not counting duplicates, form various countries, some with picture sleeves, some without (and many with company sleeves). I have at least 10 different country variations of the 2-disk Magical Mystery Tour EP alone.

Yes, there were more US singles than UK, but not that many more.

9. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Betcha don’t have an Irish mono copy. So there.

Sammy Waslow likes this.
  10. OneStepBeyond

:shh: Everyone will want one now!
    [​IMG]
    None for sale on Discogs at the time of posting this... I think I already was given the impression that they are not too common, anyway. :cool:

Mr. Explorer and BlueSpeedway like this.
  11. culabula

culabula Unread author.

That yours? I have the mono and the stereo.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  12. OneStepBeyond

Nooo .. I wish! I was thinking maybe it was yours. :D I just have the UK stereo set - got it fairly recently and it's the third copy I've owned of that over the years (the first was just the two discs that I was given.) There were a number of UK MMT sets for the taking but I went with stereo as this is what I always had and decided I would go back for a mono set. Soon...

13. culabula

culabula Unread author.

My Irish mono is a true first pressing as evidenced by the blue lyric pages in the middle of the booklet.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  14. Simon B Kelly

DeAgostini suggestion #3:

[​IMG]

Not too sure what exactly these are! They look like bathroom tiles - their translation leaves a lot to be desired...

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  15. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

I personally wouldn’t buy 7” singles whether that’s “The Beatles” or whoever, if they released these how would they do a 4 page booklet with it, would there be enough information to discuss a single?. Also I’m guessing that these would be at least £10.99 an issue?. For me a solo release (for all four members) Discography over two years would be excellent .

16. OneStepBeyond

Price-wise, I'd imagine they would be in that ballpark... I'd be gutted to learn how much I'd paid out for such a set!

If they did them with two singles, perhaps from differing 'era' of their career then I think that would keep things interesting and then I'd pay such a price. Singles are silly-expensive in places such as HMV these days and I've seen some exclusives for a couple of quid more than this, which is a price you can find some LPs for in there!

For a booklet, have prints of some of the international release picture cover variations. I'd defo buy that...

17. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

I wonder whether De Agostini read this thread to get pointers?, I guess all things are possible!. They may well think “those guys and ladies on that forum seem to want this and that so let’s try that?. Maybe not though!.

18. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Mono ! Mono ! Mono !

Imagine70 likes this.
  19. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I'd collect a 7" set without hesitation. Stick 3 or 4 singles per pack, foreign sleeves, 1 EP per pack, charge me 15-20 per fortnight and I'd be happy as fat Larry.

20. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

I think it would be quite expensive, going on what they charge for singles at the moment. Four singles would be well Over £20, more like £30 minimum possibly?.

21. OneStepBeyond

For this, I'd Zoom right down the newsagents... :uhhuh:

Man at C&A and edenofflowers like this.
  22. culabula

culabula Unread author.

They can’t even read emails sent to them.

23. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Some of the fantasy release schedules that some here would like DeAgostini to address are rather fanciful and hardly commercial. Really, they’re not going to happen. I don’t think there could be any other group with the clout of The Beatles to warrant a year-long series from a single artist.

What might be a runner though would be to do a series of classic pop/rock releases from several decades in the same manner that they have done the jazz and blues releases. Already we have seen that the "blues" series wanders frequently into rock and pop territory anyway, demonstrating that a purer series of Robert Johnson and Big Bill Broonzy just wouldn't cut it alone.

The Jazz releases have totally disappeared from shops in my locale, for many months now.

If they were to do a series of classic LPs, then there are, am sure, many who would appreciate this opportunity to fill gaps in their collection, buy LPs that they "always meant to get around to purchase" or otherwise discover music they missed, well-pressed by MPO at an attractive price.

OneStepBeyond and Daveymoore like this.
  24. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Any chance we’d get the uncompressed single mix of Old Brown Shoe and not the compressed mix commonly found ?

25. culabula

culabula Unread author.

How? Where? From whom?

JohnnyH likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.