De Agostini - 'The Beatles Vinyl Collection' mail order set via subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OneStepBeyond, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Usually issue 2 replaces issue 1 and unsold copies get sent back. Fingers crossed.

2. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

The lettering on the spine of Sgt. Pepper is the right way round, which means it's the "wrong way round". Rare! Collectable! ;):)

3. culabula

culabula Unread author.

They'd then need to mad enough to cross the Irish Sea and buy the Irish edition with 9,99€ on the packaging !

Then there's Italy...

Jim B. likes this.
  4. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Shocking.

5. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

I have never owned SP on vinyl so I'm not familiar with the hue & definition of the cover artwork, but in Tesco yesterday the colours of their costumes looked rather garish and day-glo. Is that how it's supposed to be? My CD artwork looks far more restrained. Not that I care, just an FYI.

6. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

The copies I have seen in WH Smith looked to me to be rather dull.

7. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

If the runout "gibberish" is not there then this is clearly a different pressing from the 2012 stereo from Optimal that does have it. Indeed, much was made of how it was not easy to get this part of the record right. I'm surprised to hear this. As a collector, it makes this record more desirable even though it is now £16.99. Anyone done a comparison of the sound v 2012 stereo vinyl?

8. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I'm amazed; I remember much talk about the gibberish (or much gibberish about the talk) and how hard it was to do when the monos came out. I thought therefore, that they did that for authenticity's sake and hadn't bothered for the 2012. It's very strange then that it's not on these 2016s...unless MPO didn't realise.

Raving Russell likes this.
  9. Raving Russell

Purchased one. Colours on the front not quite as red shifted as the 2012 Optimal. Back cover is a deeper/darker red. Printing is darker/thicker black than the 2012. Deagostini credits. Same damn mistake on the title "Being for the Benefit of Me Kite!" Great sounding record. Listening to side 2. This is fantastic unless you have an original UK stereo or One Box EMI or early Two Box EMI, which are superior. Listening to Side 2 first to see if we get the "gibberish".

10. Raving Russell

I can confirm that the "gibberish" is indeed missing. Initial impressions: one of the finest pressings I have heard. Virtually silent noisefloor, record is like a mirror. Perfectly centred. No defects noticed in the vinyl. I'm going to have to now play my 2012 Optimal because this MPO sounded a tad better than the Optimal to the best of my recall!

11. Raving Russell

Just played Sgt Pepper and there is slightly more clarity to the MPO pressing than the Optimal. This is a great pressing!

12. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member Thread Starter

To echo this... I saw copies of editions 1 & 2 as good as hidden away in the One Stop shop I've been in today. They were out with the other magazines etc but I only just managed to spot them shoved under stuff so you could see little more than the publisher's name on the packaging. And when I bought my 'Pepper' on Wednesday afternoon, I had to be directed to the last one - which was right under my nose - in a tiny newsagent's when I was having a day out. Seems that due to the size, they get shoved any old place they can slot into. otherwise they just can't find anywhere to display them and so don't.

Also, I saw both editions in a WH Smiths the day I bought mine; good to see that people still have (or have had) the chance to get Abbey Road at the same time, if their arm wasn't twisted enough in the first place!

edenofflowers and JP Christian like this.
  13. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

WH Smith was my saviour - they still had several Abbey Roads behind the counter tooday (nudge nudge, wink wink!) - Tesco had already sent all theirs back.

Are these new cuts? - I noticed that all there is in the dead wax of the Pepper LP is SGTP A2 /B3 and MPO (hand etched) and on the Abbey Road LP there is simply 'ABBEY ROAD' A and B (plus MPO) - I don't have any 2012 stereos to compare but initial impression is I'm pleasantly surprised - a bit more restrained than some of my older pressings - you need to crank it considerably - I just listened to a couple of tracks on Pepper but I've put the whole of Abbey Road on now and it's no slouch - very similar sonic signature, a tad polite perhaps but very crankable.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  14. JP Christian

Yes, super silent playing surfaces - I know MPO have never been rubbish as far as I know but the pressing quality of these is stellar.

15. OneStepBeyond

As soon as I picked my new issue up, I thought that the colours looked a lot different (vivid and cartoon-y, perhaps... might that be that they adjusted the 'contrast' to give that illusion?) compared to both my mono versions - both 1967 and 2014. I commented on it to a friend; he has a '67 French Odeon mono LP. I want him to hurry up and buy that cleaning machine he's on about so I can see what his sounds like. :D

16. Raving Russell

They are deliberately brighter on this release and/or 2012 stereo. This is to make the cover more eye catching. I don't like this "red-shift", particularly in the centrefold picture but there we are....Pink Floyd did the same with the recent remastered vinyl.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  17. JP Christian

Incidentally, a question as I've never bought LPs via a magazine subscription before - if you do get a dud can you simply take it back to the shop you got it from and exchange it for another? Or do you have to send it away somewhere for a replacement?

18. Raving Russell

You can always take it back to the shop you got in from in the UK and they must refund you by law.

JP Christian likes this.
  19. BeatleFanaticNo9

BeatleFanaticNo9 Member

Hello Folks. I am a newbie on here so be gentle please!
    I bought the first issue of this collection and then took out an order at my local Newsagent using the order form insert in the Magazine. I went to get issue 2 on Wednesday only to be told that the delivery containing the Sgt Pepper LP's had been stolen from outside of the shop. :realmad: I am told that they are trying to get another delivery made by next week but I am wondering if I should buy one from WHSmith just in case my Newsagent can't get another one. Does anyone know if issue 2 is selling as well as the first issue? Thanks in advance for your replies.

20. OneStepBeyond

I'll take a look at the 2012 in HMV when I get the chance next week - I've not paid attention to it before but rapidly flicking through a ton of LPs in the racks, I wouldn't have been that likely to. I didn't see (or notice) this on the 2012 stereo PPM, AHDN or MMT that I have. I did notice it on different copies of Cream's Disraeli Gears though and the three LP versions I've owned of that have been strikingly different.

21. JP Christian

So with the high pitched tone and gibberish missing from Pepper, have we in fact got a new cut here? Can someone who has the 2012 Pepper confirm what is in the deadwax?

22. Raving Russell

It's a modern phenomena. We live in a world saturated with colour so trying to make albums covers "ping" is an obvious marketing strategy. I'm not too impressed with the clarity of the artwork on many repressings. I like to compare old and new, it's a quirk of mine. However, the mono Sgt Pepper is a pretty good replication of the original. As I keep telling friends, they must get the 2014 mono! It's essential!

OneStepBeyond and JP Christian like this.
  23. JP Christian

If I include my two monos (original and 2014) - I now have 12 different pressings of Sgt Pepper, and that's just the vinyl - am I mad?

24. Raving Russell

Deadwax info is completely different on the MPO. This has been re-cut and imo is a marginally superior sound. Clearly both are sourced from the 2009 Digital Remaster as it says on the reverse of the sleeve, but the MPO is marginally better imo. Will be interested to see if anyone else compares the two and has an opinion on this.

alanbeat and JP Christian like this.
  25. Raving Russell

Nope. Enjoy them. You can always sell them. Will always be a market for Beatles vinyl.

JP Christian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.