De Agostini - 'The Beatles Vinyl Collection' mail order set via subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OneStepBeyond, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

I missed the video earlier in this thread with Sean Magee talking about overseeing the cutting of the new lacquers for these pressings. He did a better job second time around but clearly getting the gibberish right in the outro of Pepper was too much of a pain in the ****. Listening to Pepper tonight and it's a fine listen indeed.

JP Christian likes this.
  2. Donnnie

Donnnie Forum Resident

So let me get this straight. These are not just a repackaging of the 2014 Remastered Stereo Box albums, but rather a whole new pressing from new lacquers? I seem to remember hearing that the "2014 Remasters" were cut from a digital source whereas the MONO lp Box were cut from the original analog source . Do we know what source is used for the DeAgostini set?

3. Raving Russell

4. Raving Russell

2009 Digital Remaster.

5. culabula

culabula Unread author.

2009, not 2014. The remasters of 2009 are digital and were pressed to vinyl in 2012. The mono editions followed in 2014 and were AAA.

6. culabula

culabula Unread author.

7. seltaeb69

seltaeb69 Member

I've just logged into my DeAgostini subscriptions page and it seems the next delivery for subscribers will be 'Sgt.Pepper' & 'Help', see details below:

26/03/2017 Sent: BEATLES MAGAZINE 02, BEATLES MAGAZINE 03, BEATLES RECORD 02, BEATLES RECORD 03 £37.98

Why they post date the delivery schedule is beyond me, Sunday?? I'm a premium subscriber so i'm guessing the extra £4 is for the vinyl storage boxes at +£2 per issue.

Mike Foley likes this.
  8. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

For anyone who has subscribed, and received, what is the packaging like for delivery. Also, is the pack exactly the same as those found in newsagents or is it just the album with the rather skimpy book.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  9. Mike Foley

Mike Foley New Member

My Abbey Rd America was delivered in a fairly sturdy box with the booklet, binder, T shirt. No card backing, unlike the copies in the shops. That's no big deal for me, as it would go straight in the recycling!

10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I had to complain bitterly about my first two, Abbey Road and Pepper. The t-shirt was sellotaped to the inadequate box, the address was then sellotaped to the t-shirt and could easily have fallen off. The two sleeves were severely damaged.

Fortunately, they replaced them immediately (everything).

The next two came in perfectly adequate housing and were perfect.

Issues come with the same magazine as is in the shop and without any cardboard backing.

11. RVD30

RVD30 Forum Resident

Does this mean we can't the LP's on Sunday? Taking my mum out for mothers day so hope they come when at home

12. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Can't what?

13. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

So judging by that little video, these releases have not been remastered as such but just recut from the 2009 tapes for up to date pressings.

14. culabula

culabula Unread author.

No, these are the same ©2009 masters, just pressed especially for DeAgostini by MPO in France. The title of the LP appears in the deadwax which was not the case on the 2012 pressings.

15. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

For people who do not have a local shop selling these they are now available individually from De Agostini online, free p & p.

DeAgostini Shop UK

16. Available in my local Tesco for £9.99 each. I'll pass.

17. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Issue 1 for £9.99 yes, are you telling me your local tesco is selling all of them for £9.99 each?

Postage is free from De Agostini online so I'm struggling to understand what your beef is...

18. Raving Russell

Sgt Pepper is £16.99 everywhere. Quite a lot of copies still in my Tesco's which shows that at £10 these records shift (as Abbey Road has been cleared out). But £17? Too much for the "impulse buy".

JP Christian likes this.
  19. Further

Further Forum Resident

To each his own but I really don't understand the need for these when they are from the digital remasters. Why press them again? If you didn't buy the stereo box, then sure. But if you own the box already, that's more than enough.

Now, if they wanna do the AAA stereo set, take my money. I also own the Mono box and those records are where it's at. Love that box.

Daytripn, andybeau and JP Christian like this.
  20. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I am so jealous, that's so much better than what we got in the states. We got rubbish from Rainbo

21. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Two things in life are certain....

1. We all die

2. There will never be peace for Beatles completists.

:tiphat:

22. JP Christian

I didn't buy the 2012 Stereos - I haven't heard any of those LPs either as I have various (analogue) originals/re-issues. I decided to buy Abbey Road from this set as it was only £9.99 and then seeing the Pepper in the racks I ended up with that one too - I have to say I was sceptical as I hadn't heard great things about them but was pleasantly surprised - it was after I realised they had been re-cut for this series of magazines, According to a fellow brit Raving Russell who has the 2012 stereos - they are better this time around! For nice new clean copies of the stereos I guess this is the perfect way to get them - the covers are very well done and the vinyl is pristine. Looks like I might be sucked in now and will be getting Help when it comes out - if they use the original mix that'll be amazing, but I expect they'll use the remix...

The 2014 Monos are still the ultimate, I think it will be several years or maybe never when an all analogue box of the stereos comes out.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Cut from 24/44.1 files not tape if done the same as the 2010 vinyl.

In what way are they better? Different source, better vinyl, different mastering?

24. JP Christian

You'd have to ask someone who has both the 2012 vinyl and these new cuts - from what I understand the MPO pressings are super flat and have zero surface noise, so whether these are an improvement over the EU Optimal pressings I'm not sure - I think the complaint with the 2012 vinyl is the overall sound was very polite, almost a little 'lifeless' - even though these new pressings are taken from the same digital masters (I'm assuming the 24/44.1 ones, unless they may have used higher res masters this time around?) - I was pleasantly surprised at the overall sound - both Abbey Road and Pepper aren't as lively as older analogue UK copies, but they certainly aren't slouches either.

25. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I like this link very much. Hopefully the ability to pick and choose the ones I want and not have to worry about newsagents stocking the later releases. Cant want for the first Live at the BBC.

OneStepBeyond and myles like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.