De Agostini - 'The Beatles Vinyl Collection' mail order set via subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OneStepBeyond, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I received Help!, Pepper and Abbey Road. I didn't play Pepper all the way to though but I didn't hear much of a difference. Help! is definitely a better cut than the 2012. I find it to be more open sounding and some of the "glare" on the cymbals have been tamed. I'm find it listenable where in the past I wanted to run out of the room whenever I spun the Martin remix. Very nice job.

Abbey Roqd sounds a bit improved too. More open and not as congested as the 2012 pressing.

Raving Russell likes this.
  2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Depends if youre a fan of the demixing process. So far, I dont think I am (at least on the Hollywood Bowl album).

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

You mean the new cutting didnt fix this?

;)

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Sorry about the spelling errors.

I find the recut of Help! listenable, where in the past I could barely get through the 2012 pressing.

5. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

Has anyone purchased the White album yet? I saw it in a newsagents yesterday. I'm a subscriber and find it hard to see it there, knowing my copy hasn't yet arrived!!

Be good to hear your thoughts on this pressing

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I think it's a great idea buying a vinyl album at your local newsagent.

7. culabula

culabula Unread author.

All of these will be the stereo versions (except given tracks on compilations).

8. solstice69

solstice69 Forum Resident

Nice to hear the nice comments about this series.
    In Germany it's available too but marketing is very strange. Never seen a copy on any newsstand yet, it's not even shown on the hp of deagostini Germany. You can only access it by a direct link I was given by the support... or when using google. Sales started mid March here and I got ABBEY ROAD so far via mail. Nice pressing! Assume to receive Pepper and Help end of April.

9. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Well I don't have a 2012 to compare it to so that may be worse, but I'm used to various analogue originals where volume varies quite wildly from track to track so my impression was it was too 'normalised' for my tastes but it's not a bad sounding pressing.

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Have the Anthology albums been recut for this series or will they just be repressings?

11. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Picked up today from Tesco - still all 4 available. Very clean, quiet and flat pressing. Only got original CD to compare with but sounds much fresher. I like it.

12. Bootleghofner

Bootleghofner Forum Resident

No Dutch pressing exists with that title corrected.......

13. culabula

culabula Unread author.

You know your onions !

horslips, edenofflowers and GubGub like this.
  14. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I'd like to know - I picked up the originals on (I think 140g and DMM) vinyl when they came out so technically I don't need them, but if they are going to sound significantly better I may be tempted - it's whether I (perhaps foolishly) decide I'm going to get the whole set of these anyway...

15. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Now if you could only buy a newspaper at your local record store!:goodie:

JG

16. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I never managed to get Anthology 3 on vinyl, so I'll definitely be picking this up. A steal at the price.

Raving Russell and JP Christian like this.
  17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thanks. I ordered my copy from an Italian seller on Discogs. The catalog number began with MAL in the listing but I figured that was a mistake.

18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I received my copy of MMT today and compared it to the 2012 pressing. Side 1 on both pressings are similar sounding, perhaps the newer pressing has a tad more bottom end. Sort of splitting hairs.

The differences were somewhat more pronounced on side 2. The newer cut wasn't as "polite" sounding as the 2012 pressing. The sound was sharper with more bottom end. Again, I don't find it to be a huge difference. The vinyl is virtually flawless.

@Raving Russell, what are your thoughts on MMT?

19. culabula

culabula Unread author.

MMT hasn't been released in the U.K. yet. The Italians are ahead of the British.

20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I just received the individual titles of Abbey Road and Sgt Pepper. No magazine packaging just shrink wrap and the Pepper booklet lose (no Abbey Road booklet). I expect sold out of the magazine now. Can't complain for the money (booklets cheap and superfluous) and it was a 4 week wait. Will judge if others are worth it on a selective basis. Likely will buy Anthology titles when they appear.

21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

There's no reason to be 'sold out' of the magazine. It's clearly an oversight. Email them and they should forward a replacement.

22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Looks like you can't buy Abbey Road from the web site now outside the full subscription, so it may be all magazines available have been put in the packages.

23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Let us know your thoughts on the sound.

24. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

There was a problem with the website for over a week, it was unavailable. Before that Help was available, now it does not show. Looking at the Beatles back issues and their Jazz vinyl back issues websites I don't think they have completely sorted out the problem an AR may well be back on in the future.

25. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

Hi Tommyboy. We are only up to the White Album here in the UK. Rubber Soul will be out next Wednesday and MMT two weeks after that. So far I think that Leo has been spot on with his verdicts.

mp971 and Tommyboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.