De Agostini - 'The Beatles Vinyl Collection' mail order set via subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OneStepBeyond, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

For starters Abbey Road has a great big chunk of paper embedded in it so will have to find a way to,replace or just bin it. I compared the 2012 Pepper and new vinyl version. I found the new vinyl may have a little more bass but a slightly rounded top end. However I find the 2017 edition rather uninvolving for some reason. It sounds less open and free sounding with a slight nasal quality to vocals. It's marginal but adds up to an inferior listening experience. I think the 2012 is closer to the original mastering. The missing run out gabble does suggest that these may have had less attention and time spent on the cutting.

Will compare Abbey Road later as the 2012 was more disappointing at the time. There appears to be no working sales email address for De Agostini as I am getting undeliverable mail message from sales@..... From which the order confirmation came. My impression so far is that these aren't worth the bother if you have 2012 pressings especially if you have to deal with bad pressings.

2. culabula

culabula Unread author.

It's [email protected]

If you write to them, they'll respond quickly enough and I have every confidence they'll replace (as they have done for me with both the Beatles and Jazz collections).

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  3. Classicrock

Many thanks.

4. mp971

mp971 Forum Resident

Thanks Russell :) It's true that each and everyone (!) has his own ear, in fact I read that classicrock prefers the 2012 vinyl version. I have to be honest, being the proud owner of so many different pressings, just to hear something different is already a discovery of music I have been loving since I was 13. Who would have thought.. ! I guess the new Sgt Pepper 50th edition will add more fun.
    Anyway, no shipments from De Agostini until the end of the month, For Sale and maybe Love. Listening again to what has come out until now, I think Sgt Pepper, Help! and MMT were the top - really curious about your position on Rubber Soul... that was my very first Beatles (and my very first "grown up") album, if you exclude the Grease soundtrack the year before. I somehow managed to exchange a Pete's Dragon storyteller tape in order to get RS at the record store - those were the days! (and I chose RS because it had more songs on the 1962/66 compilation, so I figured that must be good, very sound 13 yrs old thinking..). But I adored it, still do.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Raving Russell likes this.
  5. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Still can't fathom why this Collection does not include Let It Be...Naked or Yellow Submarine Songtrack, yet will duplicate so much for the casual collector/fan via 1, 1962-1970 and Past Masters.

6. Classicrock

I am half way through Abbey Road now and impression I am getting there is not much difference in these new masters apart from a bit of life lost on the new versions (more rounded treble), but possibly marginally fuller bass, and that is using £5000 front end. There is as a result a little loss of air and involvement. They don't knock your socks off like an original cut. Generally these so far are not worth it if you have the 2012 versions. Maybe some will be a big difference and for some people the slightly rounded treble will be preferable. Sgt Pepper especially I just didn't find involving enough. Abbey road (side1) is cut slightly louder ( a little less dead wax) which may make it sound a bit better without some adjustment ( it is a very small difference once again). Yet to compare side 2. The differences could mostly be down to the plating process at Optimal v MPO and vinyl formula?

lightbulb and Daveymoore like this.
  7. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

It is strange but the literature does refer to Special Editions that may be issued so I wonder if these, along with Hollywood Bowl, may be what this is alluding to.

8. mp971

mp971 Forum Resident

.. probably so :) it is really a matter of opinion. Of course the original 60's cut (or even the mid/late 70's HTM cuts) were better..

9. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

These are going to really bump up the price of Let It Be Naked on the 2nd hand market.

10. Supes

Supes New Member

Hey. Just joined the forums to ask you all for some info regarding the subscription service for this.
    I set up an account on the Deagostini website and I signed up for a premium subscription starting from issue 4 (White album). I got a confirmation email just to say that I'll have my first delivery in 14 days. I clicked back on the website and tried to sign in to my account just to see that everything was up and running but my email address and password suddenly weren't recognised.

I did a quick google to see if this has happened to anyone else and saw a tonne of awful reviews for Deagostini's subscription service. This has me very worried.

I was just wondering if anything similar has happened any of the users here? Does anyone have a subscription set up for this magazine and if so were there any problems or am I just fretting over nothing?

All the best.

11. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Fretting over nowt, bonny lad.

12. RVD30

RVD30 Forum Resident

I have not had any problems so far.

13. leeparkers

leeparkers Member

Hi Guys

Does anyone know when Rubber Soul is due in the Shops? (I'm guessing this is when us subscribers will receive our White Album and RS)

Cheers!

14. leeparkers

leeparkers Member

Hi guys

Does anyone know when RS is due in the shops? (I'm guessing this is when us subscribers will receive our WA and RS)

Cheers!

15. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi! It's been on alternate Wednesdays; the next due in the shops date therefore being the 26th of this month (with MMT due to follow on May 10th.)

One poster some way back said they had an email telling them their first dispatch was being put in the post on a Sunday. Others will know more on this, having received notification of delivery #2... I'd think. :)

16. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member Thread Starter

Isn't that still in print though? It's only months since I saw that in HMV - it's something I want on LP but it was over £30 and that put me off...

17. Joe a

Joe a Member

Hi there , available on Amazon £23.99

lightbulb and OneStepBeyond like this.
  18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

When will the Anthologies be issued? I assume much later in the year?

19. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes. The Anthologies are way down in the issuing order, so quite a while away yet.

20. Classicrock

Only ones I am now really interested in having discovered the small difference against the 2012 and IMO slightly more constricted sound (though I can't see most systems revealing any difference other than the placebo effect). They are sending me a replacement Abbey Road but the magazine is apparently out of stock. Suggested I contact them next month.

21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Not a placebo affect with the Help! recut. The new LP sounds better to me. Although I'd take any analog cut over the new version. By using the Martin remix, no matter what they're using a flawed source

22. Classicrock

But how much better? - less bright was mentioned which would support my impression of a more sloped off top end on Pepper. I just don't get the reluctance to use the original Help mix (it was included with the mono CD box)? I am wondering if a different DA converter was used this time (improvements have been made in this area), but differences on first two are pretty subtle. No night and day revelations should be expected.

23. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

As I said a few pages back, the Anthologies are available on Amazon UK for the same price as the DeAgostini ones, if you don't want to wait.

24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I'm sssuming they were recut for the DeAgostini series? If so, going to wait.

25. culabula

culabula Unread author.

They will definitely be new 2017 pressings from MPO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.