De Agostini - 'The Beatles Vinyl Collection' mail order set via subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OneStepBeyond, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gonetroppo

gonetroppo Well-Known Member

Did you set up an account? If you did you can log on to see when they were posted. Its usually 14 days after the post date when you receive them, well at least that's the way I've received them :)

2. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Indeed, but it's now 16 days....

Am not going to worry about it too much, I need to be saved from buying Beatle records, ANY records....

3. shygurudave

shygurudave Forum Resident

I received a bill a few days ago for £0.00. So far I have not paid a penny but I do have the four albums that did actually get released. I emailed De Agostini and they said they would not charge me until they had sent out a letter explaining what was going on...

4. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Great. I just got my first two LPs in woefully inadequate packaging with a T-shirt taped to the front. The T-shirt sported my name and address. Had it separated the LPs would have gone astray.

The package also contained a hitherto unmentioned black folder whose purpose is unclear. The packaging looked as though it had been sent by an amateur seller on eBay. Thus the LPs could be seen through the sellotape used to secure the parcel.

The two sleeves were damaged on all four corners as was the folder. I have just opened St Pepper and the white polylined inner is knifed.

I have immediately complained bitterly to them stating that I will cancel the subscription if they cannot guarantee professional packaging for the rest of the series.

5. shygurudave

I also thought the packaging was not great, but that sounds really really bad. Luckily only my Help lp was dinged. Have they informed you, as they did me... that the series is not continuing? And have you had a bill?

6. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Not sure about a bill, typically you pay later in any case.

There was an invoice with my T-shirt but that read zero. I don't know if that refers to simply the 'free' T-shirt or to the order.

No other information. I await a response to my terse email of earlier this morning. None of the Jazz LPs were packaged this badly. The dent is such that the inner with 'Pepper' is also impacted.

Did you receive the folder thing (so dented I can't close it properly and when I do, the flap won't stay in)?

Nothing with this order as to whether the series is continuing or not.

Fortunately the records sound good, but I could have bought Abbey Road for 17 or less -free of any dents !

MrBeatles likes this.
  7. shygurudave

Yes- I got the black folder. I guess it's for keeping the booklets in. The message about the series ending was in the White Album which came with Help! So far I have had three invoices all reading zero. It's a bit of a farce... but yep, nice good sounding vinyl.

8. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I have heard back from DeAgostini who have apologised and have 'actioned' a replacement, to be with me in 10 days. Furthermore they have underlined that there will be no charge for this first delivery.

shygurudave likes this.
  9. shygurudave

I hope your replacements are tip top! That way you get a good copy to keep on the shelf and one to play...unless they want you to return the ****e ones. I'd be interested to know when they will crack on that they are not continuing with the series. So far they have not informed me otherwise. My message came in The White Album which arrived with Help about a month ago.
    Good luck- and here's hoping your next package arrives in better condition than the last.

10. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member Thread Starter

Just to say that I'm still looking in with interest - thanks to all for continuing with the replies to the thread.

shygurudave likes this.
  11. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I told them if the replacements were not perfect as well as an undertaking to ensure that subsequent deliveries are delivered in pristine condition, that I would have no option but to cancel the subscription.

They do not seem to want the other copies returned. The records are excellent but the sleeves only serve to irritate.

No mention as to the status of the series.

12. servi

servi Forum Resident

Could anyone post a picture of a label please ?

13. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Would love to, but posting a picture here remains a chore that has never worked for me.

Suffice it to say that Pepper sports a classic Parlophone Black and Yellow while Abbey Road has a dark green Apple. Both look authentic enough for me to do a double-take.

14. servi

servi Forum Resident

Possibly the easiest is to upload the pic to photobucket and then share the link...

15. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Never works for me; I gave up ages ago.

16. shygurudave

It's odd that The Beatles are now part of the Universal catalogue and Parlophone is in fact part of Warners since the dissolution of EMI. I wonder what the deal is worth to license the Parlophone likeness back from Warners just for authenticity's sake? I guess it doesn't matter for the Apple labels, because Apple is still Apple and has it's own deal with UMC. FWIW- I think the Apple labels on the new issues are a bit too dark, but you can't listen to a label can you? Merry Chrimbo everybody !

17. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Just received the next two in the series....again -no charge. No advice either re the series continuing or nay.

18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Aha....update. I found the postcard advising that the series has been suspended inside the the booklet that goes with 'The Beatles'. Seems you're expected to fill it in and return it if you want issue 5 for free. Does this mean that they will eventually back-charge for the four received so far, I wonder ?

19. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I didn't buy many of the 2012 vinyl 2009 remastered but of the few that I did, I wasn't especially impressed. The Beatles, for example, has no crispness, punch or indeed vitality compared to an original.

I have no 2012 Help! to compare but all I know is that this 2016 DeAgostini MPO-pressed version is a terrific listen and beautifully-pressed. I do have a '65 original first pressing and it really does hold its own.

20. OneStepBeyond

Different mixes, of course... :)

21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

A fair point.

22. OneStepBeyond

I was going to say "...unless they messed up and put the original stereo mix on the DeAgostini issues." But knew that couldn't happen. If they had, then I would be emailing them, asking them if they'd send me a copy! I don't have the original stereo mix but have decided that I'll get a nice clean 70s or early 80s repressing of it as and when - same goes for Rubber Soul.

23. MrBeatles

MrBeatles Well-Known Member

Deat All, this is not a repress of Beatles edition done at Optimal in 2012, this is a fully new edition done at MPO, a nice vinyl factory, with new Abbey Road studios Lacquers, you can say that it is a really top class pressing.

24. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, as reported above. I now have the first four of these. Strange how it petered out.

25. MrBeatles

MrBeatles Well-Known Member

Normally when a kiosk company as DeAgostini release a collection before of that they do a market test of 4 numbers to study the results of sales, based on that sales results they decide if they go ahead with the national launch or not, in this case I'm sure it was successful and will see thwle national launch somewhere in March. The complete collection is 23 titles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.