De Agostini - 'The Beatles Vinyl Collection' mail order set via subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OneStepBeyond, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. culabula

culabula Unread author.

We will know soon enough. I think there's every chance.

2. vince666

vince666 New Member

Hi, new forum member from Italy here.

Just this morning i've got my copy of "A Hard Day's Night" on the news-stand here below and i'd wish to let you know that this copy has the chord attack at the very beginning of the title-track which is missing.... so the song starts just immediately after that chord's attack.
    Of course, the error (if it's an error and not something made on purpose but which i would't understand at all!) would easily be on many or eventually on all of the copies as this means that the problem had origin just on the lacquer.

I wished to warn you about that.... this is the very first problem i had with these Beatles records as, till now, any of them was perfectly flawless.

Cheers,

Vince.

Frederick Mars likes this.
  3. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Collectable! Rare! ;):)

4. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Buy two ! Three!

5. vince666

vince666 New Member

LOOL! :p
    I doubt it's rare... my record isn't skipping at the beginning nor has any kind of click there... so it's just how the lacquer was cut... so i expect there will be thousands of copies like this one.

anyway, i wrote to De Agostini on facebook messenger describing the problem... we'll see what they will reply.

6. vince666

vince666 New Member

If you wish, i may capture it to let you actually listen to this error. ;)

(and I bet that in a few days many others will complain about this same thing... the official release date of this record is tomorrow but, lately, i am getting them on my news-stand one or two days before the official date).

7. mp971

mp971 Forum Resident

Wow! I still have to receive AHDN.. first time ever I hear of the song without the infamous chord! Very curious to hear it :)) and, yes, I think that would make for a collectable version..

8. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

My local Tesco has the stand alone unit next to the magazine racks but the other day I thought they had stopped stocking the De Agostini stuff as they had turned the unit round so it's kind of hiding round the corner.

9. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It makes for a travesty in the lack of care put into this.

10. vince666

vince666 New Member

well... as mentioned above (on a message which still waits for moderator's approval) , i was going to capture and upload this "error" for you all...

you can find it here: MEGA

regarding the "collectable" point... well, i bet there will be thousands of copies with the same error... and, after all, i was buying these De Agostini records not to have something collectable but to simply (and finally) have Beatles' music on some decent vinyl records.

11. mp971

mp971 Forum Resident

well, I would not say there was a lack of care put into this as so many of us are very happy with these pressings...

12. mp971

mp971 Forum Resident

Wow Vince, thanks for the upload! Strange.. it seems to me the chord IS NOT missing but you hear it played on piano only and not in unison with guitar..

13. vince666

vince666 New Member

I didn't mean that the guitar chord was missing... only that the attack (the very beginning) of it was truncated/missing (i play guitar, btw)...
    to my ears, that sounds like the usual AHDN song but with the first second (of a fraction of it) missing... just that.

and, yes, i am VERY HAPPY with the quality of these pressings as, apart this AHDN one, they were all flawless and very well done.

This error has surely origin at Apple, since it's just the lacquer cutting which was done this way as there isn't any other way to modify it this way during the following production stages... but, of course, the quality control was poor as after the lacquer cutting they need to make the father disc, the mother disc, the stampers and then to press the actual vinyl LPs... so, is it possible that nobody noticed this evident problem before going to press thousands of vinyl LPs?

I say "thousands of vinyl LPs" because if it does exist one with this error (my copy) then there is a whole production run made like that.

Cheers,

Vince.

14. Classicrock

So far we have missing run out chatter on Pepper and missing iconic guitar intro on A Hard Days Night. So why bother when the Optimal pressings are still available? I can see many getting part way through this series and abandoning due to purchasing difficulties or realising they aren't actually better than the 2012s. While I'm here might as well mention that I received the 2LP Pepper remix today.

15. vince666

vince666 New Member

actually i have no intentions at all to abandon this serie.
    the only Beatles i had on vinyl before of these ones was an early 70's USA pressing of "Pepper's" on Apple label (which is missing the run out chatter too) and so this was the easiest way to get them at the news-stand here below for a good price and without paying anything for the shipment (i won't find the other/older pressing here in my town, as there aren't any record shops anymore).
    And it won't be this "error" to let me believe that these pressings aren't good... till now i enjoyed them all... but, at the same time, i'd like to have a copy of AHDN with the complete song... but if (like I suspect) it's the whole production run like this copy then i will keep it as is... no need to have it replaced with an identical one.

Anyway, i'm waiting for the reply from De Agostini... i've sent them the same file i've posted here with the error. :p

Raving Russell likes this.
  16. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

So did I. Sounds awful. What a massive letdown.

17. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member Thread Starter

Mastering error, surely? I've heard the beginning of tracks 'clipped' (a fraction of a second and/or a few seconds missing) on CDs... like the WG Polydor of Hendrix's Smash Hits which it happens on a few or more tracks, plus others. But not on an LP!?

I've got the 2012 stereo LP (only one of three 2012s) thankfully. Sincerely hope this is a one-off otherwise I'll be serious considering just getting others from Amazon.

18. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member Thread Starter

I pre-ordered the Super Deluxe box and from reading posts, I was expecting it to be... not at all good and as bad as the worst remixes I've heard of favourite albums. I came close to cancelling.

Hearing some 30 second sound samples allayed my fears a little but I don't like at all how some of it sounds and feel I'll be making a custom EP of the few tracks that I find to be worthwhile. And some make me glad it happened. It was far more the bonus tracks and the whole package that I got it for in the first place, so can console myself with that. :)

19. Classicrock

It's likely Mr Magee made an error when cutting the lacquer from the files. You can always buy a 2012 pressing from Amazon.

20. Classicrock

That does not sound good. Was keeping this for the weekend. Thought the Strawberry Fields / Penny Lane single sounded pretty good so was expecting something special. This is the problem when you revise a Classic - usually best left as it is.

21. vince666

vince666 New Member

This is exactly what i meant,
    such kind of error has origin during the first lacquer cutting... like if he started the cutting lathe as usual and when he did hit play on the digital source (if it's this way they make it nowadays) the source started a tiny bit past the attack of the first chord.

but what's also surprising is that, after cutting the lacquer (aka acetate) , to have the vinyl LP there are still at least 3 plating processes... father disc ("negative" grooves) , mother disc (positive/playable grooves) and stamper disc (negative grooves again).... so, usually, they used to listen to the mother disc to be sure there weren't errors, rather than pressing hundreds or thousands of vinyl LPs before checking if the previous steps were all ok or not.

Such kind of error is the result of an original error and a complete lack of quality control in the middle of the process.

A bit different when you get a "bad press" which has crackles or skips as that could also be a pressing-only problem which occurs at the very last production stage and so it may affect only a few LPs and not the whole pressing run/batch.

Still waiting for an answer by DeA on facebook... will let you know... :whistle:

daveidmarx likes this.
  22. alanbeat

alanbeat A music loving Chap. PipPip!

yes? please tell us more!?!

23. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Got YS today (as well as the Pepper box). This one, along with a few others, don't have catalogue numbers on the spine. Why dat?

24. mp971

mp971 Forum Resident

Hello there and ciao from very hot Italy! This morning a De Agostini parcel brought AHDN and 1962/66 - the latter in advance of a couple of weeks. I haven't heard them yet, but I can confirm the basis for 1962/66 is the 2014 remaster. If it sounded very good at the time (I think pressed by Optimal) I can fairly assume it's going to soung great on MPO pressing. Will also check the missing chord of A Hard Day's Night (song)...

25. Classicrock

It was either pressed at Record Industry in the Netherlands or they did the plating. The dead wax indicates Record Industry Product. I can't see MPO improving on this one as the Red and Blue album copies I had were some of the best pressed records purchased in recent years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.