De-clicking with a stand-alone CD recorder

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dgsinner, Mar 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a CD player/recorder that is a stand-alone audio component.

Is there any way I can 'de-click' the way people do with their computers?

Anyone know of a component that will do this?

Thanks,
    Dale

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

In a word, no.

3. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes,
    SAE made a device called the model 5000 that was an audio declicker. We used to sell them at Tech Hifi. The device had an adjustable threshold which set the level at which pops and clicks were blocked. There are 2 of them on Ebay now. Here is the link:

http://search.ebay.com/SAE-5000_W0QQsojsZ1QQfromZR40

4. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

Note these units work best on big, loud pops & clicks.
    Not on softer surface noise.

5. dgsinner

Isn't that also true of software de-clickers?

6. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

I use a standalone CD Recorder for creating "raw" transfers of vinyl to digital. Then I rip the resulting tracks onto my PC and use Adobe Audition for declicking (my PC is in a different room than my main system).

This has worked very well for me over the years.

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I used to have one back in the 80s. They distorted the sound, usually by attenuating the highs, and weren't really effective. Off-line oftware works a LOT better and more precicely than those analog-based units.

What you could do is burn your CD-R with your recorder as usual, put it into a computer, de-click there, and burn a new copy. But, if you don't have a computer, or a CD burner, or the right software, well...

8. dgsinner

Thanks! I seem to remember another in the same line of devices, from another maker in the early 80s...hmm, can't remember the name at all.

9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I have one of those SAE declickers--they work by detecting very sharp transients in the music and filling the gaps in with some of the sound before the gaps. It did OK at clicks, but sort of turned them into very dull pops, which for some old recordings was acceptable. For music with a lot of percussion, it will sometimes clip the tops off of the transients on the percussion if set too high and, which I began to notice later on, would actually smear the high frequencies a bit, so I quit using it for most listening. I would only use it now for seriously BTS ("Beat To Heck") records, and not for recording.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.