Dead Can Dance albums getting vinyl reissues on 4AD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Squiggsy68, May 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Looking at Discogs the prices for the 1993 4AD pressing seem to have come down a bit. Amazing!

2. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

That's great!

3. eifion

eifion Forum Resident

Interesting. My UK copy of Into The Labyrinth has the catalogue numbers hand-scratched on, for example DAD3621 A3. There's MPO scratched on there, too.

The sleeve design has been changed due to a problem licensing the original photo, apparently, which is a shame.

Max Florian likes this.
  4. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Thanks for the report - sounds promising. I'll probably pick up a copy of Spleen this week. I've had that slight between-track whooshing on a couple other records pressed in the last few years, so I think I know what you're talking about. Not a huge deal to me, in any case.

Ben Adams likes this.
  5. Buckyball

Buckyball Forum Resident

The new track order puts the 11 tracks from the original CD on sides A-C, and the two LP-only bonus tracks on side D.

Voodooman93 and BeardedSteven like this.
  6. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I cannot wait for the next three.

Now, if only the Siouxsie catalogue and the Skinny Puppy albums and EPs on Nettwerk would come back into print, I'll literally have everything on my wish list.

Voodooman93, jimhb and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  7. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I wonder if they were sourced from the high resolution MOFI sacd's.

8. Neonbeam

That's usually the moment where I write something like "Up to 'Peepshow' all Banshees album can be had for 10€ in Europe":wave:

But since I have learned I do recommend last year's RSD reissue of "Join Hands". If you don't need the original album art - the art it has been released with in 1979 - you will get a fantastic sounding new remaster. Highly recommended!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  9. HiFi Guy 008

I was wondering about that one. Is the "new" art actually what they had originally intended? Or was there a problem with the original art?

10. Neonbeam

No, the "new" art was the original concept but was deemed to risky by Polydor due to it's religious content. So the marrying children had to go and the soldiers came:) (I think it wasn't unfortunate because the statues are more iconic and make for a more stark contrast together with the drawings on the inside. It's bleaker and sharper. Just what this album needs)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  11. HiFi Guy 008

Ha! That's exactly what I thought I was remembering from a Siouxsie interview I saw years ago.
    Remember the Israel 7" originally had a swastika on the label? Then they changed it to a star of David.
    Probably a smart move, although Siouxsie explained the symbols use and it was anything but racist.

12. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

A friend in the UK managed to grab one for me! It's a great pressing, too!

Voodooman93 likes this.
  13. davidbix

davidbix Forum Resident

The ad copy for self-titled and Spleen and Ideal say they're re-presses of the originals. How do they sound? Why don't we get more of those? Is 4AD just unique when it comes to saving the original metals?

14. Neonbeam

"4AD" is not 4AD anymore. And I don't think anybody saved original plates. By "repress of the original" they most likely refer to unchanged artwork and tracklist.

15. davidbix

davidbix Forum Resident

You think it's just a contrast to the Into the Labyrinth track order & artwork changes? I suppose that's possible, but "repress" has a pretty specific definition. And the label being taken over doesn't mean it's impossible that plates were saved. I'm not sure what the oldest title to get actual repress is, but it doesn't seem impossible, especially from a smaller label.

Voodooman93 likes this.
  16. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

My original self titled UK lp was pressed at MPO. The deadwax reads:

• Matrix / Runout (A side run-out, etched): CAD 404 A² POUNDA TA1PE MPO
    • Matrix / Runout (B side run-out, etched): CAD 404 B¹ MPO

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  17. HiFi Guy 008

I'm curious about Spleen And Ideal - hard to imagine that it's an exact copy of the original, as I was told that the original tapes were transferred to F1 digital (yuck) and that's where the recent MFSL sacd/cds were sourced from.

The previous reissue on Vinyl 180 is not recommended. Didn't like it.

The original cd is sourced from a mystery. Original tapes or F1 digital.

18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It's not that the original tapes were copied to F1 digital, the F1 is the original tape master. Everything comes from there, LP, CD, SACD...
    The F1 digital tape format was 14-16bit / 44.056-44.1kHz, depending on the settings chosen. Unfortunately for us, they were early digital adopters...
    Since the remix of the debut, every DCD album master is digital, AFAIK...

I liked the other DCD Vinyl180 reissues, I thought they were great (haven't heard Spleen and Ideal though).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  19. Neonbeam

I wonder if there actually is ONE example for a modern reissue using plates from the 80's. With luck you had 70'plates being used on 80's reissues but I couldn't think of a more recent example. Nowadays it all seems about "remaster", "digitally transferred", etc....

FashionBoy likes this.
  20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

There were Nirvana and Rage Against the Machine represses a few years ago, using the original plates from the 90s...
    Also Portishead.

21. Neonbeam

Yeah but the 90's weren't the 80's:)

punkmusick and jsayers like this.
  22. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I only have Spirit Chaser (CD). Is the debut a good palce to start, if I go for vinyl??

23. DPM

DPM Senior Member

No. Into The Labyrinth (the release just prior to Spirit Chaser) would be a better starting point. I suggest you work your way backwards through the catalogue from there.

24. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

The DCD that did Spirit Chaser was a verrrrry different band from the one that made the self-titled debut. The debut is very gloomy/gothy post punk - quite beautiful and melodic at times, but lots of dark shades of grey. Personally, I prefer their 80s output to all of their 90s (and beyond) material, and I absolutely love the debut, but I imagine that going straight from Spirit Chaser to the debut would be somewhat of a shock!

Jerry James, crispi and BeardedSteven like this.
  25. davidbix

davidbix Forum Resident

If the Music On Vinyl titles (Alice in Chains, Rage Against the Machine, maybe some others I forget) that they say were taken from "original metal parts" are any indication, though, then the dead wax doesn't actually have to match. I don't know if that means the claim (which MOV didn't use in advertising; they're just transparent about sources to those who email them) is BS, though. Can you replace the dead wax/runout area while using original metals?

I never heard the DCD Vinyl180 reissues, but based on my one mistake buying one of their sets (their first Gary Numan set) and the research I did subsequently is any indication, they're pretty sketchy. Cool packaging that makes you think you're getting a premium reissue and a nice choice of titles, but they're actually using buzzwords to hide that their titles are sourced from retail CDs. The Numan titles didn't sound great, to say the least. Most infamously, there was the Cocteau Twins reissue that the band called shenanigans on: Cocteau Twins - Head Over Heels reissue not from masters!? »

As for the digital tape source on DCD stuff: The one thing that's kind of thrown me on that topic is that while the MSFL reissues are Silver Series, they're, as far as I know, the only Silver Series titles that mention being taken from the original master tapes on the labels. Since Silver Series was started in the first place to allow the use of digital sources (as well as copy tapes) and there are other digitally sourced Silver Series titles, what's the differentiator? Do all of the other digitally sourced Silver Series titles use analog copy tapes?

c-eling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.