Dead Can Dance Into the Labyrinth MFSL Silver LP is Terrific!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I have the originals for Spleen and Within the Realm. Will do a comparison soon. :)

I previously compared Spiritchaser original to the SACD, and the SACD won hands down for almost all the tracks except a couple.

2. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Be prepared for a shock. Btw, I believe Within the Realm was a digital recording - SPARS code DAD. Don't know if that's accurate, but Ivo stated in an interview that limiting was used for the vinyl version, and the cd was more dynamic. I find the cd to be best.

Plan9 likes this.
  3. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Im looking for buy all the SACD in any reasonable price, I see expensive around, any want sell yours? ;)

I have the 1st pressings on vinyl, i like 1st pressings

4. HiFi Guy 008

Two of the SACDs were sold here in the Marketplace recently. You may want to post a WTB there with the amount you're willing to pay.

5. HiFi Guy 008

Ok, I just did a comparison of Spleen And Ideal on orig Nimbus UK cd and the SACD.
    This is a very atmospheric, and somewhat odd recording. Almost all of the vocals seem somewhat distant. The cd has a nice midrange.

The SACD has a much wider soundstage, and the top end is more extended and sweet. But it sounds like the music, and esp the vocals, are even farther away then the orig cd.
    Could the tape be a copy of a copy? That's what it sounds like to me. It also sounds "scooped out" or lacking midrange presence. They not only preserved that atmospheric sound, they exaggerated it.
    That being said, the SACD is enjoyable overall, fun to listen to, nice sweet extended top end, bigger, and "airier" soundstage. You can almost feel the mist.

6. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

Surface Noise!

Yes, just got and played Spiritchaser, and Side 1 (of 4) has a soft swish sound every revolution, with no visual clue to this on the LP. Also a little miffed at why this should occur. Again this only happens for about 10-15 seconds, but not evident on the the other sides.

As for the Vinyl 180 Serpents Egg, it doesn't sound that bad, though I only have the original CD to compare to. Could possibly be a bit thin sounding, but my system is a bit bass happy (Martin Logans). Really the main fault with this vinyl is the bowl shaped record, and VTA issues.

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

You must have a defective copy. I hear no sounds on mine.

8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Received "Spiritchaser"-MFSL last weekend and was surprised at how good this sounds.

The original 4AD vinyl always was a great sounding record - especially for a pressing that never was advertised as "audiophile" - but... this new one just manages to top it. I can't do needledrops but the sound is (even) more spacious, (even) more colourful. So: This is a nice alternative to the elusive original. Is this from an original mastertape? The back of the sleeve says so and I have no doubt.

The only thing where the MFSL stiffs is the artwork because the glossy cardboard of the 4AD pressing - although being no gatefold - just did the colorful design better justice. No idea why they had to stick to their matte cardboard :-( So: In an ideal world one should take the MFSL vinyl and put it into the 4AD sleeve. Just kidding of course ;-)

9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

10. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Im a 4AD records collector, I always try to search for 1st pressings, that 2 are expensive on vinyl...

I think buy mofi VINYL but comments here stop me to do it... some say are good some not...

from the master tapes? how mofi can say that and dont be true? that people can liar us? just for sell...? mmm

about complete SILVER LINE
    so are not from the master tapes? I hear bad comments for example for "Sisters of Mercy" silver etc... so I skip all the silver line and search 1st pressings of all titles? are expensive I know, by example I see a "into the lab..." for $120 on ebay :(

11. The 2 MoFi DCD reissues are very good IMO.
    As for coming from the original tapes, well they were digitally recorded to begin with so you're not going to get an all analogue chain not matter which version you choose.

http://www.musicangle.com/album.php?id=951

crispi likes this.
  12. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

ok update, now I have:

1. the 1st UK 4AD pressings of Labyrinth and Spiritchase, so I need the mofis vinyl? or my originals sounds better? any deep comparison?
    2. I have the old CDs nimbus, I need the SACD's? I mean I dont care the "redbook" side, I just want compare the UK Nimbus vs the SACD side of course!
    3. this nice jewelcase 2008 release have the same mastering than SACD redbook side? or the old mastering? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toward-the-...261261907903?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item3cd46c57bf

any help?

13. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

The original pressing of In To Labyrinth is better. I compared it to the MFSL and while the remaster was very well done (I would be totally happy with it if I hadn't found an original for a great price) the top end of the original sounds more natural. The printing and graphics on the original are quite a bit better too. I haven't heard an original Spiritchaser but would be surprised if the results aren't the same.

14. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

thanks, great to know, I stick with my originals... I dont want spend more $ on DCD...

any help on NIMBUS CDs vs the SACD layer?

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Unfortunately and surprisingly for MoFi, some DCD albums were pretty obviously compressed. That's the case for Spiritchaser and Labyrinth.
    The ones that sound glorious are Within The Realm, Serpent's Egg, Aion, and Towards The Within. That last one is the greatest upgrade, I would recommend it.

For vinyl, pick the recent reissues on Vinyl180 if you can. They are outstanding and surpass the original pressings.

The 2008 CD reissues contains the same mastering as the MoFi's.

16. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

wait!!! the vinyl180??? I have in mind that all that releases including Cocteau Twins reissues are bad!!! compared with the originals :confused:

17. I have all the Vinyl 180 box sets and stand alone releases and wasn't overly impressed although the DCD originals I have don't blow me away either.
    The 2 MoFi silver series releases still come out tops for me. Different horses etc.......

Slightly of topic but all the Vinyl 180 lps I received had spit the sleeves due to very sharp edges being left on the vinyl. To give the label their due they did send me a complete set of sleeves to replace the damaged ones FOC so a big thumbs up there.

18. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

yes the 180 even this post are too bad:

Just did a quick comparison between the recent vinyl reissue of Dead Can Dance's first album and the original. It was quick because it took all of about 20 seconds to realize that the reissue was a complete sonic disaster. Ear bleed bright, thin and grossly compressed. All the atmosphere is lost. Really really bad.

Run away!!!!!!!!!

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/new-dead-can-dance-vinyl-reissue.173539/
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/vinyl-180-releasing-two-dead-can-dance-box-sets.231330/

I stick with my originals on vinyl and on CD and maybe I start searching the SACD and that is ;)

19. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

oh one more thing, the old japan 1st pressings of 4AD are the same than the UK nimbus? same mastering? same sound... anyone try some old japans? as 4AD collector Im tempting get it but if have the same mastering I pass.

$T2eC16ZHJGEFFm4bbUiRBS!zTJcJPQ~~60_57.JPG

20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I can only vouch for Aion because it is the only one where I have both the original and the Vinyl180. The pressing I got was perfect.

The poster was only talking about the first album, which is the worst sounding of their catalogue. There were no other reviews. It seems some here are quick to dismiss the reissues based on that one review. :rolleyes:

I have Aion and Serpent's Egg and they sound fab. Based on these, I thought I could recommend the reissues.

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

MoFi just did Labyrinth and Spiritchaser, and Vinyl180 handled the rest.

22. I got all the reissues when they first came out as originals were hard to find over here. Since then I've managed to pick up some of the 4AD originals and dont find much difference between them and the Vinyl180. I dont think the Vinyl180 lps are as bad as some posts would have you believe at least to my ears(which aren't golden by any means).
    The vinyl180 releases are nicely done, just as I said earlier the very sharp trim on the edges is hard on sleeves.
    I found a similar finish on most of the Three Black Feathers UK folk reissues from a couple of years back with the same result to the sleeve.

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

On the other ha
    The Vinyl180 have the advantage over the originals to have been mastered on tube equipment. I think the tube sound lends a much needed dimensionality, layering and depth to the early-digital masters.

24. You have a persuasive argument. I'll have to have another listen this weekend. Been some time since I've had a DCD session.

25. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I don't know about Spiritchaser, but Into The Labyrinth has not been "obviously compressed". The SACD layer certainly sounds glorious, and its DR rating is just about identical to the original CD. The minor differences could be attributed to different mastering moves (EQing, etc.).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.