Dead & Company: The Grateful Dead Is Resurrected (Again), This Time With John Mayer *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Aug 5, 2015.

1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The free portion of the nugs video stream had "Shakedown" and "Love Supreme">"Other One">"Estimated". "Other One" is to me what "Dark Star" is to many others - I would have been elated to get it popping in and out of the set the way they did it last night. (I got it, thankfully, at my thus far one-and-only D&C show a couple of years ago.)

Claxton, Rfreeman and The Revealer like this.
  2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

No pacing problems at Citi Field tonight. (Broke down and got the webcast.) Help>Slip>Franklin's was great and this Eyes is doing just fine. Mayer started to sound a little southern rocky to me towards the end of Stephen, but, man, I feel bad even making that small complaint because this guy is just what my doctor ordered tonight. They're all playing well.

max4334, adamos, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  3. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Listening on XM Dead Channel tonight. Enjoying the show, good Saturday Night tunes with beverages.

4. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Saw Hunter during that tour and a few years ago when he did his solo tour. Caught him in Boston-it was a wonderful show.

ianuaditis and RayS like this.
  5. Daedalus

Last night's show was terrific. They played the stuff I was hoping to hear at the Hartford show-not complaining tho-Hartford was a straight ahead great show

wavethatflag and SBegonias17 like this.
  6. Daedalus

I went to the Hartford show and I have to say that my take on it was a little different than yours-not more correct or less correct of course because these are subjective opinions-but I was thinking that this is the Dead for these times. There were many Deads over the years as times changed, they changed ( for better or worse), tastes changed, etc. Do I miss Jerry? Yes. Do I miss Phil and wish he was in this line-up? Sure. But do I really, really appreciate and enjoy what John, Oteil and Jeff are bringing? Absolutely. I am so "Grateful" that this music is being played, reinterpreted and expanded to whole new audience-I never thought I would see such an amazing phenomenon. Keep bringing it guys! And last night Citifield -wow! Incredible.

7. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Well put! I had my time, and am thankful that my young niece can still get the same type of enjoyment I was lucky enough to have in the 70’s and 80’s. Watching her dance to Dead and Co. and discovering that she knows every song and the stories behind them is really what it’s all about.

8. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Stafford Springs was the town I was describing, Mickey Hart Band and the New Riders also played there within the past few years, all of which including Hunter I was not aware of until after the fact. I get emails from them now, now all it needs is for those bands to go back on tour.

Daedalus likes this.
  9. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

I’m gonna have to go find last night’s show so I can check out that Eleven.

ianuaditis likes this.
  10. ianuaditis

Say wha? Me too, if it has vocals I will be duly impressed.

11. ianuaditis

Here's a link - it starts with the William Tell bridge.

Even if I was there and heard them play the William Tell part I would be losing my **** when they started to do the Eleven.

The crowd seems to have felt the same way.

12. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

They were sound checking "The Eleven" multiple times. Easy to hear outside the stadium while waiting on line to get it.

wavethatflag and ianuaditis like this.
  13. ianuaditis

Well, that certainly lessens the surprise, and the GD never played the William Tell part without playing the Eleven (unless maybe once or twice, but I don't think so,) but you never know with these guys. The GD soundchecked St. Stephen a couple of different times in 83 before they finally broke it out in MSG, and also soundchecked it a few times in 94-95 without actually bringing it back.

14. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

First time out of the gate for "The Eleven" for Dead & Company, but it was a very common occurrence for Furthur. I don't remember ever getting a "St. Stephen" without it.

Hallelujah Hat Rack!

15. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

THAT was Steamin' Hot especially toward the end there.

Is there anyone else having trouble making out Burrbridge's bass from all the bass drum presence? Seems to be a part of the last couple of recordings I've heard and I'm wondering if it's in my system or the soundboard. It's clear, but very low in the mix. Hard to tell where he is momentum wise.

wavethatflag and ianuaditis like this.
  16. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Good to watch that. They sound good. I would have lost it as well just seeing/hearing them do the William Tell bridge, let alone The Eleven with vocals, no less. Wow

Maybe next time (Fall MSG?), I’ll actually go see them.

ianuaditis and Claxton like this.
  17. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Nice - I just came across another video of it that starts at the beginning of St. Stephen:

ianuaditis, The Revealer and Claxton like this.
  18. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

Sweet! Clearer it seems - maybe it's just that I'm cranking it now. These clips are getting me revved up. They seem to be taking more risks following Mayer in the lead position and he's getting more comfortable getting lost, perhaps. The flubs that come from this are completely acceptable. Forgetting lyrics to St. Stephen, well, oh well.

Hoping for more hot and toasty moments like this next weekend.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    max4334, budwhite, ianuaditis and 3 others like this.
  19. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

Siiiiiick.

adamos and ianuaditis like this.
  20. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

"The Eleven" here is just hot. I don't know how anyone faults Mayer for anything with this. What do you want? This guy is doing a service. I know he gets paid, but he's doing a service. What more could one ask for? I would have loved to be at this show. And he's into it. He cares. Again, what more do you want? I'm using the royal "you" here, ianuaditis. I know you get me.

This is hot. It's hot! Shut uo, shut up, it's so hot!

21. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Saturday was my 10th Dead & Co show. While I liked most all of them (only last year Camden was closer to a dud), I finished with the shows after attending as there's too much Grateful Dead and Jerry out there to listen to.

Last night, for me, was great enough, that its the 1st time I'm going to buy the show off nugs.net

22. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I think that a download is included with your ticket.

23. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

You can scan your ticket for free streaming in the Nugs app but no download

24. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Lame.

The Revealer, adamos and wavethatflag like this.
  25. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Looking to get some Dead & Company off iTunes. Looking for recommendations of which one to get. Thanks

wavethatflag likes this.