Dead Meadow - The Nothing They Need (new album Mar 16th, 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

Was surprised to learn that this new full-length Dead Meadow album hit streaming last week. Just found out about it today.

I listened to half of it on the way to work this morning, sounding really good. I'm going to need the LP.

Any other DM fans here on the forum?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  2. Chrome_Head

Just ordered the LP from their site, $20 USD + $5 shipping, not bad. Says it's shipping in mid-March, download to follow with purchase.

DM website Store:

Home

3. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

Good news! thanks for the heads up. :tiphat:

Chrome_Head likes this.
  4. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Listening to the new one, I'm liking it a lot so far. I'm glad to see at least two other Dead Meadow fans around here, I've been a fan ever since I saw them open for Zwan at the Metro back in 2003. They were so fantastic, but I don't recall the rest of the crowd being into them as much as I was. I loved the swirling, psych sound. It's like the best elements of psych-rock and stoner rock swirled together in a shoegaze bath.

stef1205, Grow Fins and Chrome_Head like this.
  5. Chrome_Head

I first discovered DM when I saw their CD Feathers at the record store, didn't know a thing about them. I was big into classic psych rock and modern stoner rock, and based on the cover I took a chance on them having never heard them and hoped they would be good.

Boy, did they live up to my expectations and then some! Feathers is still my fave. Merch guy at their show last November told me they've got the rights to the record back and will be re-releasing it finally.

As for the new one, I'm kinda waiting until I get the record so I can fully digest it! Not much in the way of word from the online shop re: my order, wouldn't be surprised if it gets delayed due to pressing plant overload recently.

Good to know another fan as well! I've seen them probably 8 times since discovering them, always a good show.

Grow Fins and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  6. GuidedByJonO)))

I actually had no idea this was out until I was at my local shop the other day and flipped right past it! My brain took a second to process it and I was like, "wait! new Dead Meadow? yes, please!". :laugh:

Chrome_Head likes this.
  7. Chrome_Head

Seriously--was waiting on word about a new one, it had been a long time since 2013's Warble Womb. Kept checking their website, no info. They were touring with nothing new. Suddenly, a song popped into my Spotify weekly "Release Radar" playlist two weeks ago that they create based on your listening habits. I was just as shocked to see they had a new one.

I would go as far to say what I've heard of the new one reminds me quite a bit of Feathers.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  8. GuidedByJonO)))

There's a nice little surprise at the end of the extra track on the CD version, I like it! It's not on the Spotify streaming version and it's not showing up on the LP tracklisting.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  9. Chrome_Head

Received my LP in the mail yesterday--fantastic pressing, they did such a great job with this one.

Side two has a locked run-out groove, that repeats a droning organ note if your turntable doesn't have an auto-return arm.

[​IMG]

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and Grow Fins like this.
  10. Chrome_Head

Now that I've heard the album all the way through, I'll bite, what's the extra track on the CD?

11. GuidedByJonO)))

There's a 13 minute track at the end that starts out with eight or nine minutes of a drone, given your post above I'm guessing it's similar to the locked run-out groove, but it eventually resolves into a really cool cover of "Tomorrow Never Knows".

Chrome_Head likes this.
  12. Chrome_Head

That sounds rad--I wonder if it's included in the enclosed digital download?

Was just going to needle-drop my copy as it sounds marvelous, but now I may actually have to use the download card to check.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  13. GuidedByJonO)))

Not sure, I don't see any info on Discogs about what's on the download card. It'd be cool if it was, it's a great cover.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  14. Chrome_Head

Sweet, I will definitely check this weekend.

This album, to me, is up there with my favorites of theirs, it's very good.

Grow Fins and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  15. GuidedByJonO)))

Yeah, I think it's fantastic. It's certainly my favorite since Old Growth, maybe even Feathers.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  16. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

I like this one a lot. The first song isn't my favourite as it could've fit on Old Growth, which isn't their best album, but it's really solid after that. I liked Warble Womb a lot too but it was a bit meandering - this one sounds more concise and is all the better for it.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  17. Chrome_Head

Loving the dirty heaviness of "This Shaky Hand Is Not Mine".

I will agree this album sounds a lot more focused than Warble Womb, which I didn't listen to much.

A few less songs seems to work better for the band's approach, such as like the earlier albums or Feathers.

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Lost the plot on these dudes around Old Growth. Interested is being rekindled however.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  19. Chrome_Head

I'd say this would be the one to check out--more drawn-out stoney jams here, less short poppy songs (which they also do well most of the time IMO).

Funny note, when I ordered the record direct from the band's website last month, my PayPal payment went directly to (frontman) Jason Simon. Love giving the bands the money direct.

Grow Fins and GodShifter like this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’m not a purist. Long jams are cool as is the shorter more pop oriented stuff. I just go by what moves me.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  21. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

Thank you! Long time fan and I had no clue about this new one. Really dig Warble Womb, so I’m definitely looking forward to grabbing this one.

:cheers:

Grow Fins and Chrome_Head like this.
  22. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

Missed this thread the first time around. Great to see that these guys have a new record out, and more so that it's a good one. I am a big fan of Feathers especially, so this should be right up my alley - never ended up listening much to Warble Womb.

Just a fantastic band. They came on my radar just after Feathers came out, when Indian Bones was included on one of those music mag samplers. It completely knocked me off my feet, and I ended up going to two different gigs of theirs in two different cities, on two consecutive days. I bought all of their catalog right after. Also a really approachable band - I spoke to bass player Steve Kille at another gig about their label issues, and the difficulty of getting particular albums. I do hope they end up visiting these parts again - I spin Three Kings from time to time, but it's not quite the same (it is nice, however, that in that instance, the LP features the extra tracks: Beyond the Fields We Know and Greensky Greenlake).

Thanks for the headsup @Chrome_Head , and great to see you guys digging them too :cool:

23. Chrome_Head

Cheers man, definitely check out the new one, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Had a big smile listening to the new one in its entirety last night.

One of the several times I saw them was in San Francisco, I think Three Kings had just come out, and it might have been a record release for it. Grabbed the LP there with the DVD, I really need to watch that DVD all the way through!

Grow Fins likes this.
  24. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

Be sure to do so - the film is a gas! Like they said, it's inspired by The Song Remains the Same, and its influence is clear, from the film scenes for each of the band members to the gratuitous drug references (the animated scene with the sun inhaling the smoke from the weed creatures self-immolating - it's comically bad and great at the same time). But one to watch with the guys, perhaps, rather than with my wife :p

The film also highlights Stephen McCarty's whirling drumming style and that moustache - brave for a young guy to wear that in the 2000s; it's a great look for a band like this (again my wife disagrees on this :laugh:)

GuidedByJonO))) and Chrome_Head like this.
  25. Chrome_Head

Sounds like it might be a good one to put on today if you know what I mean.

Mark Laughlin is more than capable in holding down the band's signature sound, being the original drummer, and as evidenced by the last few shows I saw with him on the kit. But I do miss what Stephen McCarty brought to the table at times.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.