Deadwax inscription ID's needed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thxdave, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde" Thread Starter

I had WAY too much free time on my hands today. I pulled out the macro lens and flash and shot several shots of deadwax inscriptions and logos and need help ID'ing them. I'll only post a few initially. Just curious if the "Barry" one is our own Barry D? (If these are too small, I can resize and repost)

Forgot to add...the Barry pic is from ZZ Top Eliminator, the middle one is from Peter Gabriel's "So" and Pogo is from Foreigner's "Double Vision" on a grey label Atlantic Sterling pressing.

Attached Files:

marcfeld69 likes this.
  2. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

It would be neat to see a thread on nothing but photos of dead wax stampings, initials, and so on. That stuff is like art to me. Sometimes it is art! :)

marcfeld69 and Vinyl Addict like this.
  3. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Well the GF one was an Artisan mastering job

4. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Nice pics!

Well, I can help a bit. Barry .. is a mystery; but I think I've seen one too.

GF is Greg Fulginiti, of Artisan. I like his work a lot, I think his version of SO is better than the UK Townhouse (and more so when the GF copy is Quiex vinyl). I see a few MCAs from the 80's with his marks.

The <Heart>Pogo isn't a cutting engineer but a producer logo, IIRC (the info is here somewhere in one of the many Fleetwood Mac threads - it's also on the classic FM album)

Any more knowledgeable persons going to take a shot at these?

5. thxdave

I debated about putting all of them up at the same time but didn't want to get Gort'd. If you guys want more of them, I'll post a few more. Some are already pretty well known but it might be helpful to have a Sticky or a gallery of these images for folks who are just starting to learn what all these heiroglyphics (sp?) mean.

Stu02 likes this.
  6. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I've seen the Pogo on Pat Benatar LP's as well

7. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I say post them if you have them!

Pat

8. thxdave

Okay, here's some more. The first one has shown up a bunch (sort of like a long horn), who is "JG" at kdisc?, O-G-O???, who is "PRC", and what is the symbol next to Bob Ludwig's "RL" inscription?

Attached Files:

9. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The first one indicates a pressing from Capitol Records' Winchester, VA plant. It's supposed to look like a Winchester rifle, but it looks more like a wineglass on its side.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  10. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

PRC I believe is a pressing plant, W.B. should be jumping in soon to knock all these out in one post, I have never seen a kdisc JG but I have seen those initials in that handwriting on LP's I have

11. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I think the K-Disc mastering engineer in question is John Golden.

12. thxdave

As I was shooting these, I kept trying to find Mastering Engineer initials as opposed to pressing plant ID's but it's all Greek to me at this point. So, if some of these are WAY too easy or obvious, please excuse the bandwidth. Here's two variations on a couple old favorites, Allen Zentz and Wally (I guess Wally was in a hurry when he did the "short" version):

Attached Files:

13. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Allen Zentz and the beloved Wally

Rad Dudeski likes this.
  14. LesPaul666

I've seen that "O-G-O" emblem on domestic MCA pressings. Have no idea what it means, though.

15. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

"Wally" is Wally Traugott of Capitol.

Rad Dudeski likes this.
  16. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

i also think Greg Fulginiti's etching is a stamp of excellence. he worked with Steve a lot in the '80s, IIRC.

17. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

This is one of two 'letter codes' used by the ex-Decca (US) plants - Gloversville, and Pickneyville. The latter is <>-P-<> or thereabouts. (info from a W.B. post of yore)

These are *pressing* plants, and therefore can appear on almost any disc.( but typically on MCA and subsidiaries)

Other common markings are unique to certain plating contractors, and then there's the rather random numbers assigned to the stampers when they're stored at the pressing plant (remember this plant may have very little connection to the record company itself)

18. LesPaul666

I guess Capitol pressed many Warner LP's at that plant.:agree:

19. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Great thread, lets keep it up!

20. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Been awhile since I last checked the forum, hence the delay. Meanwhile . . .

[​IMG]
    The insignia next to Robert Ludwig's signature indicates a pressing by Allied Record Corp. in Los Angeles in the years after WEA Manufacturing bought the plant.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I seem to recall from a long post that these two were the handiwork of one of Mr. Zentz' fellow mastering engineers, Brian Gardner . . .

[​IMG]
    Indeed, this was from MCA's Gloversville, NY plant; both that and the Pickneyville insignia were started in early 1973. Before that Gloversville pressings were designated by a "1" and Pickneyville by a "2."

And as to the two from Wally Traugott: If it's "Wly," it's pre-1977, and if it's the full "Wally," it's post-'77.

Giorgio, Rad Dudeski and zphage like this.
  21. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

PRC was indeed a pressing plant. Initially based out of Richmond, IN, they later opened another plant in Compton, CA.

22. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I think you are right, most of my Van Halen LPs show that mark.

23. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

What W.B. said. The flower and seagulls above are Brian Gardner's 'trademark' signatures. He occasionally throws a 'BKG' in there as well.

Allen himself rarely used the interconnected 'AZ logo', and signed thus: Az or A Z.

...and thank you for my new avatar! :)

-Aaron

Rad Dudeski likes this.
  24. Lazlo Nibble

Lazlo Nibble Forum Resident

Requesting another ID, from the early '80s, almost certainly at Tape One: [B or PO]UND[A or X]-TA1PE.

Any ideas?

25. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

Dude, we need to see "Another Porky Prime Cut."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.