"*%#@$*&%" Deadwood

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by crimsoncing, May 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b8375629

b8375629 New Member

Yeah, they used mid-late 20th Century street vernacular for the 1880s. Go figure.

A little re-writing of history, perhaps...(?)

Or was it time to bring the ghetto potty mouth to the 19th century(?)

That was my big problem with the show. I guess they had to do that so it wouldn't be a repeat of Little House On The Prairie

Don't tell that to the politically-correct who wonder why people in the old days didn't have the same standards as they do today. Who have their 2006 blinders on.

2. william shears

william shears Senior Member

There is plenty of research into the speech patterns of miners, ranchers, whalers etc through song, monologues, tall-tales etc. The 'common man' was often documented by scholars or researchers from another class who tended not to report verbatim actual usage of slang and swearing because it offended the group the material was often aimed at, ie other people of the same class who could read and actually had the income to acquire books/journals. It was THEIR taste which tended to dictate the perceived behaviour of the working classes. Language onboard ships has always been notoriously 'salty' as it has in the armed forces. Boredom often leads to a sort of 'expletive poetry' much like Ian McShanes character in 'Deadwood'. There has always been an 'art' to swearing, and expressive beauty to be found in obscene language that is treated with reverence.

I find 'Deadwood' totally believable in its use of the vernacular. It is an absolutely superb show, masterful television. True american 'art'. Its a shame there is not more material of this quality produced over there, but it seems that the commercial nature of TV internationally is making such programmes rare anywhere. :(

3. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I'm sorry, I find it hard to believe they spoke that way then. Lack of historical evidence works against, not FOR, the argument that they spoke like gangsta's.

However, it was not this that drove me from the show. There was one episode that literally gave me nightmares. The one where they kill the brother and sister for stealing jewelry and feed their bodies to the pigs...I thought, "Trying too hard to be HBO material," and left, permanently. I think a lot of others did too.

4. b8375629

b8375629 New Member

Agree. And some people believe the earth's still flat. Go figure.

It's like some people apply 2006 standards to 1886. Why? Who knows...

However, it's just a TV show, in spite of all it's inaccuracies. Not history in the making. ;)

5. mr mxyzptlk

mr mxyzptlk New Member

I know there's a bawdy verse of the cowboy song The Old Chisholm Trail that goes "I f'ed her standin', I f'ed her lying, if she'd had wings I'd-a f'ed her flyin'..." - the word was around but whether it was used repeatedly in public and or in mixed company is unlikely.
    I'll clam up on this after this post - we discovered the Sopranos late and loved it and I was hoping to love Deadwood the same way. The incessant profanity made it difficult for me to get into, not that I'm prudish, it just distracted me. I suppose watching a random episode with no context to what was going on was as much of an impediment. Maybe I'll try renting the season one box someday and start at the beginning.

6. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Watch out for the one with the young couple. It goes too far, IMO.

7. NIKE SQ 460

NIKE SQ 460 Just Do It...Daily!

I disagree with your assumption 100%.

The writing, acting and storytelling is so good on that show that, IMO, the F bombs and C Suckers only add gradient color to an already otherworldy use of dialogue. I am so caught up in the superb complexity of the plotlines and ongoing relationships that I have never once stopped to think about the use or overuse of 'naughty' language.

The only 'comical' aspect pertaining to Deadwood is just how frickin' superior it is to every show currently on TV... but for the most part only marginally recognized against other, typical copycat shows that limp around abundantly in Hollywood.

8. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

If one wants to criticise the language of Deadwood for lack of authenticity, I'd start with how cleverly and elaborately the dialogue is arranged before I'd get to the profanity. Milch explains it by claiming that in an environment with much less entertainment options than today, people would naturally develop their conversational skills more, but they certainly stretch it past suspension of disbelief.

But then they also speak English in that Rome series. Eh.

Re: the young couple being tortured scene-
    It's actually crucial to the story. The other characters in the room who work for Cy (the guy that tortured them) become isolated from him after that because they also are repulsed by his actions.

9. b8375629

b8375629 New Member

I think that negates everything else. A show that has to resort to excessive potty mouth in order to attract viewers, really doesn't have much to say, as far as I'm concerned.

Of course now with the show not being optioned anymore, I guess it didn't really matter, anyway.
    Which the show seems to ask the viewing public to do.
    I'm sure it's a lot tougher to find numerous actors fluent in Latin than it is to keep the 20th century expletives out of the 1880s. Apples vs. Oranges.

10. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Then don't watch it.

I and many others who watch it find plenty in it to say, thank you very much.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

YOUR JOKING, RIGHT?

Deadwood is a great show drenched in reality...:agree:

12. Michael

I agree 100% :thumbsup:

13. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

This discussion brings to mind a scene from the first season of The Wire where two detectives were investigating a murder scene and the only dialog between them for four minutes straight was every possible variation of the f word. It was absolutely hilarious even though it was played completely straight. I learned some new ones from that show.. :laugh:

14. b8375629

b8375629 New Member

Am I turning your television off?

Or do people not have a right to be critical of the show... :rolleyes:
    Nope. Wish I was.

After a certain point, it becomes gratuitous. Potty mouth for the sake of potty mouth.
    So do you think The Wire has reached the same count as here?

http://deadwood.cjb.net/

I'm glad somebody's counting. I lost track. :laugh:

15. Sarchi

Sarchi New Member

I'll acknowledge that it would be hard to watch this show with your wife if she was even slightly uptight.

16. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Am I turning yours on?

You have right to do whatever you want, just hard to take a criticism like they cuss too much, therefore it must be dismissed, too seriously. That's kinda like not liking Survivor 'cause it has too much sand.

Anyway, back to more important things, does anyone know if there's been some sort of official confirmation of the show's cancellation?

17. Michael

you know what? I can't disagree with you more...Deadwood is a breath of fresh air, a reality check...real people CURSE...really, they do.

So, strap on your latest gangsta rap disc and please post the expletives that you hear...oh wait, I'm bashing rap again...well ya know what? they are the only people that can get away with it scot free...I become the victum here and get accused of bashing...HOW can you put down a PAID TV show that's not available to public TV or children, while the rap blatantly permeates our entire society from our ears to our children's attitude, dress, and demeanor...so DEADWOOD seems F'n mild don't cha think? ITE? :realmad:

18. Michael

Mike, just enjoy Deadwood...it's their loss.:agree:

19. b8375629

b8375629 New Member

:laugh: :laugh:

Now that's hilarious. I had to laugh at that analogy. Sorry

I don't why it's so hard. Unless one has become so desensitized to the language of the gutter, because that's where it came from. The gutter.
    Yes, I know Michael. I really do.

:laugh:

In fact, I've been known to let one out myself, on occasion. But nowadays, I try to keep it in check. No sense in adding to the noise pollution out there.
    Whoah, Michael. Relax. I wasn't even gonna go there...

Actually kids do see the show. Cable's everywhere and even my young son did it, until I threatened to wash his mouth out with soap one day... which convinced him not to do it in front of me anymore. But that's another story.

20. Michael

...do you let him watch MTV?

21. b8375629

b8375629 New Member

Nope. :thumbsdn:

22. Michael

RELAX? Why, cause I have an opinion?...you relax as well...consenting adults watch Deadwood...and adults can control their child's viewing habits...end of story.:) now listening habits is another story some things are inescapable...

23. Michael

good for you... :thumbsup:

24. william shears

william shears Senior Member

I f-({ing love that fU3(ing show and ANY coc{$uc{ers who fuc{ing don't better git their godamn a$$es outa town 'fore they get themselves fed to our porcine friends down in chinatown.

;)

25. claypool

claypool New Member

This is bad news. I just finished watching Season Two on DVD and can't believe if they won't continue producing this. Deadwood is one of the best TV series at the moment, maybe the best. They've maintained the same high quality in all episodes so far. Actors do a great job and you gotta love characters like Swearangen, Wu and the good old doctor who are nothing like the traditional western characters.

I find it hard to understand why some people might find this series offensive. Although it contains some violent scenes occasionally, it really doesn't glorify violence, quite the opposite.

Here in Finland they show it late at night, starting at after 11 PM so there's no fear that kids will watch it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.