Dean Martin at Capitol Records 1948- 1962

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DLant, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff Thread Starter

I have been searching for a dedicated thread for Dean's tenure at Capitol Records. Alas, I couldn't find one. So, naturally, I decided to start one (I've also done the same for Miss. Peggy Lee). If there is one, moderators, please feel free to merge this thread.

I love Dean's work at Capitol. His singles and his LPs. I have two favorite LPs; 'This Time I'm Swingin' and 'Sleep Warm'

I hope this becomes a thread for a great discussion of Dean's work at Capitol, as well as some great pictures of Dean in the studio.

Go!

image.jpg

2. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Wow. What a great shot.

Fleet Fox, HAmmer, junk and 1 other person like this.
  3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

It's one of many from the "Sleep Warm" sessions, Frank Sinatra conducting, with arrangements by Pete King.

Possibly the most revealing set of photos out there in terms of showing off the techie in-studio early-stereo Capitol stuff.

4. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I'm no expert on his Capitol Recordings or Reprise Recordings, but Dino is my favorite crooner and one of my All-Time Fave artists!

I have about 15 Dino LPs and about eight CDs... and he always brings a :) to my face!

5. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Its impossible not to like Dean Martin

6. getitgoin

getitgoin Forum Resident

I love Dean but I wish he had recorded more swingin' numbers. Can anybody recommend uptempo recordings that are not on This Time I'm Swingin'?

melstapler and junk like this.
  7. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Truly magnificent if other photos in series capture the moment like this one does...!

8. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Capitol really hung in there with Dean considering he had no hits until 1954. They believed in him all along the way.

9. DLant

image.jpg

Maybe from November 20, 1952?

10. Tord

Tord Forum Resident

Swingin' Down Yonder is a great swinging album!

junk likes this.
  11. DLant

I was listening to 'Dean Martin Sings' on the way to work today and it is a great album. Also, a great warm sound from Capitol's Melrose facilities. Amazing that it was recorded in ONE day!

vertical and junk like this.
  12. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

That is a great study...

Keep those photos coming.

Bob Belvedere and junk like this.
  13. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

14. throbbin tower

throbbin tower Forum Resident

Dean remains the only man I know of who could show great skill equally in music and comedy...
    Most anyone who worked with him said he was the most talented guy they ever saw..

15. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Stood at that exact spot about five days ago.. Always neat in there.

john lennonist, 2141, Galley and 13 others like this.
  17. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

The last picture shows a clock on the wall showing the time to be about 10:25. Would that have been AM or PM? Any ideas?

18. DLant

Knowing Sinatra and Martin, probably PM. Some of our resident experts probably have the session info somewhere for the exact time.

Kkfan likes this.
  19. DLant

20. DLant

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I love the pic with Nat Cole.

21. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

That Davis guy who was sometimes onstage with him,he was pretty good,too.Pretty good dancer,some impersonations in the comedy bits,comfortable swingin' or in a ballad.In fact,as much I love Sinatra,Sammy was the all-around triple-threat talent whenever the Rat Pack hit the stage.
    One thing you gotta say for Dean:during the Martin & Lewis days,only another straight man would know how difficult it was to be the straight man.Timing,and Dean was indeed a master at that,was the most imprtant thing to keep the show balanced and building to a crescendo.If it was Jerry just running around for 45 minutes,the audience would have been worn out in fifteen minutes.Dean kept the pace,and Jerry knew how important that was to keep them coming back for more.

22. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Actually, it was A.M. While Frank preferred to record late at night, Dean was an early bird. The three Capitol Tower sessions for SLEEP WARM took place from 10 A.M. to 1 P.M. on three consecutive days (October 13-15, 1958).

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I once posted complete session details at the SFF. More photos may be found there also (unfortunately, with watermarks added since the time of posting):
    Looking back at that series of SFF posts, I'm reminded of Nancy Sinatra's comment: Dean probably had an afternoon golf tee-off time.

24. DLant

That's great Bob! Thanks for the correction. I knew either you or Matt would have the correct info.

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  25. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I've been trying to avoid this thread as they usually end up being expensive for someone like me who has no willpower when it comes to buying music, well I've given in and I'm glad I did there's some wonderful pics and great info so thanks to you all.

One thing that has always intrigued me is Frank's involvement as a conductor, a role I believe he played on occasion for other artists, as I understand it he couldn't read music, if that's so how was he able to conduct an orchestra, is it not necessary to read music in order to conduct? I'm not a musician and know nothing about the creative process so please forgive me if this is a stupid question but it's a question I've often pondered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.