Death Cab For Cutie: New single, video (and forthcoming album)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

Death Cab for Cutie announce US tour, prep new album for summer release

Tour dates:

Death Cab for Cutie 2018 Tour Dates:
    06/16 – Amstelveen, NL @ Amsterdamse Bos Theater
    06/18 – London, UK @ Robert Smith’s Meltdown Festival
    08/02 – Salt Lake City, UT @ Red Butte Garden Amphitheatre
    08/03 – Boise, ID @ Summerfield at Memorial Stadium
    08/04-05 – Missoula, MT @ Travelers’ Rest
    09/21-23 – Las Vegas, NV @ Life is Beautiful
    09/24 – Eugene, OR @ Hult Center for the Performing Arts
    09/25 – Portland, OR @ Keller Auditorium
    09/27 – Berkeley, CA @ Greek Theatre Berkeley
    09/29 – Phoenix, AZ @ Van Buren
    10/01 – Dallas, TX @ Bomb Factory
    10/02 – Kansas City, MO @ Arvest Bank Theatre
    10/03 – Madison, WI @ The Sylvee
    10/05 – St. Paul, MN @ Palace Theatre
    10/07 – Chicago, IL @ Auditorium Theatre
    10/09 – Upper Darby, PA @ Tower Theatre
    10/12 – Brooklyn, NY @ Kings Theatre
    10/13 – Brooklyn, NY @ Kings Theatre
    10/14 – Boston, MA @ Boch Wang Theatre
    10/17 – Washington, DC @ Anthem
    10/18 – Charlottesville, VA @ Sprint Pavilion
    10/19 – Atlanta, GA @ Coca Cola Rox
    10/20 – St. Augustine, FL @ St. Augustine Amphitheatre
    10/22 – Miami, FL @ The Fillmore Miami Beach
    10/23 – Orlando, FL @ Hard Rock Live
    11/15 – Sao Paulo, BR @ Popload Festival

2. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

3. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Awesome news! Gonna listen now. If there's still time to edit your first post, the YouTube link takes us to the middle of the song, remove the "time_continue=36&" part.

agaraffa and Record Rotator like this.
  4. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

5. Record Rotator

Thanks! How about now?

6. AlanDistro

Great first track from the album, I always look forward to new Death Cab material.

7. AlanDistro

It still has the time_continue so it's still skipping in to the song, no big deal, people can drag the play head back or use the embedded video above.

Anyway, I like this sound more than the electronic sounds they have been playing around with for a little while.

Also, I kinda like how the video starts off visually similar to Neil Young's Gold Rush album cover, with Ben walking in front of the fence... given the title of this song, I doubt that's an accident.

8. Record Rotator

Yes, it's great to have them back. I always look forward to new material from Death Cab For Cutie and somehow they never disappoint me.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  9. Record Rotator

You may be right about the Neil Young album cover; didn't notice until you pointed it out.

10. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Gold Rush sounds pretty good, and I am sure it will get better with more listens.

Love this band.

Murph likes this.
  11. George Co-Stanza

Set list from last night:

Death Cab for Cutie Setlist at Amsterdamse Bostheater, Amstelveen

Glad to see they are still playing three songs from Kintsugi, which I thought was really good, but too bad that Black Sun, which I found to be a rare super boring Death Cab song, is still getting played. That is just my personal preference, though.

As always, they hit their two best albums, Plans and Transatlanticism, hard. :cool:

dobyblue likes this.
  12. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

13. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I sent their management and record label an e-mail begging them if the album is as slammed as the last couple to please do a separate mastering for the high resolution outlets. Not surprisingly I didn't hear back.

Kintsugi was so great, I think I still listen to it all the way through, the last two tracks are so damned good! I love love love the lyrics in the opening verse of Binary Sea.

That's a nice looking setlist, but it really is time to start having more variation and not playing Trans to end every single show, lol.

14. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up! Just ordered the LP and looking forward to the concert in Oslo i February :) :tiphat:

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  15. George Co-Stanza

Ben Gibbard is one of my top 4-5 lyricists ever. I love his lyrics that much. :cool:

They could really throw fans for a loop by suddenly making it a song that appears in the middle of the set. I think songs that could do a great job at replacing it as the final encore are:

Cath... (not a huge favorite of mine, but it rocks and it always goes over well live)
    Crooked Teeth

16. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Cutie don’t you play with fate, don’t leave your lover alone...

17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

The Indie Clear Vinyl version looks pretty cool as I just watched a quick video of it. Got a copy on order at my local shop for next week. Sure hope this is a strong album from them. Sounds like it could be a grower. Got a 10/19 show here in Atlanta and on a Friday night no less!

18. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Going to wait until Friday since I have the vinyl already on order. Looking forward to others feedback on this release. Reviews are good, but nothing great so far. A little worried that this will be another album with some really good songs and some that are just filler. But I have to give it a fair listen.

20. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

Really liking this album. The permeating mood reminds me a bit of 'We Have The Facts..." but with a wider palette. I think the new members in the band have provided a shot in the arm.

21. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Was going to pick this up this weekend but the vinyl is £33! Why is it so expensive? For a new double, I’d pay £22 absolute tops

22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

That's crazy (why?), just bought the Indie Clear Vinyl at my local shop today for $19...have not had a chance to play it yet, but they did a nice job with the cover.

Porkpie likes this.
  23. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Amazon have it at £34 and Rough Trade at £33, and Bullmoose has it $18. It’s ridiculous and I’m sure I’m not the only fan who will skip buying the vinyl and make do with a download.

24. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Had my first listen to the hi-res version (24/96). I liked it but found it a bit uneven. First few songs were like, WOW this is different for Death Cab, then the next 2 or 3 could have been on the last album, and so on. Looking forward to a second listen later. :)

George Co-Stanza and scotti like this.
  25. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

I pre ordered from the band the fist hour they announced. Bought the limited clear or whatever.

Came out friday and I didn't get my copy fri or sat. Never fails.

Not a big deal but I always feel like if you pre order and buy the limited edition they should make it a point of emphasis to get them to you on the release day.

bmh5879, scotti and Porkpie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.