Death Cab For Cutie: New single, video (and forthcoming album)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Got to finish my first listen of this yesterday. Will give my feedback on the music after I crank it up and listen again today. Wanted to call out the vinyl really quick though.

Ended up with the Indie 180G Clear Vinyl version with download card. They did a really nice job with this. The cover has embossed lettering and of course the picture frame cut out window on front and really looks pretty cool. The vinyl is pressed nice and flat, very quiet and the over all sound quality is borderline excellent. Inner sleeve with lyrics as well.

The music is layered/textured and has an almost hypnotic lure to it. I really need to hear this again before I critique it anymore as I normally do not listen to this type of music. I have always had a fondness for this band though.

2. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

I've given up on pre-orders from band sites for the most part. Most of the time you don't receive it for up to a week after the release date and it always ends up being more expensive as well. Plus the shipping is always crazy as well.

George Co-Stanza, ToddH and Porkpie like this.
  3. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

got mine today. Tried to logon to deathcabforcutie.com/vinyl to download the tracks and the page does not exist.

4. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

After one listen, I like it. Sounds more laid back and, as someone said earlier, hypnotic than usual, but that works for me. This band never disappoints.

5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Have now listened to this 3 complete times. I am your average fan of this band. Never been impressed with a complete album, but have always liked a few songs on each release. I have to say this is easily my favorite album by them and for the first time, I like the entire record. Make no mistake, this is a grower! These songs just start sucking you in the way they are layered throughout. On the song "You Moved Away" I did not want anything to do with it at first and half way through the second listen, I loved it. The more I keep listening, the better each song has sounded. I think what really got me paying closer attention to them, was when I heard the song "Me And Magdalena" the song Ben wrote for Nesmith and The Monkees, as it is one of my favorite songs they ever made!

I honestly can't believe I am raving about this album, especially since a lot of reviews are average so to speak. Not me, I give the music 4.5 put of 5 stars and if you are in to vinyl, this is a must have in that format. The sound quality is excellent and the music just opens up and breathes quite nice. Next to the new Rolling Blackouts CF and Buddy Guy, this is one of my favorite releases of the year. Can't wait to listen again this afternoon! What an unexpected treat!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  6. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

Got mine Monday. I have listened to it 4 times.

I love it. My favorites so far are When We Drive, Northern Lights and 60 & punk.

Its a really enjoyable listen all the way through.

7. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Having my second listen right now and enjoying it even more. :)

Goggen, scotti and George Co-Stanza like this.
  8. George Co-Stanza

I've spun it 3-4 times now and really like it. Still can't pick out favorite songs yet, but I really like the vibe of it from start to finish. It's a quick, easy listen.

And I have to say that Ben Gibbard's ranking of their albums looks goofy to me:

Ben Gibbard Ranks Death Cab for Cutie's Eight Albums

Narrow Stairs top 3???

The Photo Album 7th??

And it's too bad he doesn't care for much of Codes and Keys, which I think is mostly very strong.

Pretty.Odd., Goggen and scotti like this.
  9. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Looking forward to hearing this. Especially after all of the positive reviews.

I agree with Ben's #1, but like you I am surprised with Codes and Keys. That's my #2.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  10. George Co-Stanza

I'd put Plans and Transatlanticism at the top side by side, with the top spot dependent on my mood. 3-6 would tough to put in order, although I think The Photo Album would be at 3 most likely, with Codes and Keys not far behind. The debut and Narrow Stairs are easily the two least best, IMO.

11. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Plans is definitely my #3. I don't rate Narrow Stairs as low as you do. I'd put it somewhere in the middle of the pack.

12. George Co-Stanza

For me, Narrow Stairs has some of their lowest lows, and there is nothing on there I would call one of their best. Too bad they didn't wait a year and do the album with some of the songs from the Open Door EP.

13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Ben has been at a few mountain trail races that I’ve gone to. He’s actually a pretty good runner.

Pretty.Odd. and Goggen like this.
  14. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Some days its actually my number 1 Death Cab. GO figure. :wtf:

15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

George Co-Stanza, or any other member that could advise with this question. How is the 2013 vinyl of "Transatlanticism"? Have not listened to this album in over 10 years and noticed I do not even have this in my collection. I have read some pretty disturbing comments about the pressing quality of this reissue. Am I better to just stick with getting the CD or...thanks in advance.

Another thing I am admiring about the new album is how strong Ben's vocals are. They sound sweet as can be on this record!

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  16. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

mine sounds fine. I listen to it all the time.

scotti likes this.
  17. George Co-Stanza

Agreed. I like his voice a lot, always have. He has a very pleasant natural tone and he knows how to use his voice despite not being one of those naturally gifted singers.

scotti likes this.
  18. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

Received my clear vinyl today. Loving it :love:

It kinda feels like having an old friend over for a visit. Very pleasant and nothing too edgy, but never boring. It's going to get plenty of invites from me. Very nice pressing as well.

George Co-Stanza, ToddH and scotti like this.
  19. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

the vinyl sounds fantastic. I haven't even cleaned mine yet and it sounds great.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  20. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Been listening to the CD in my car for a couple weeks but keep listening in short segments since my drive to work is only 15 minutes.

Finally had a chance to listen to the vinyl at home straight through. So good. As stated, the vinyl sounds fantastic. The CD does as well but the vinyl is nearly perfect. The album flows smoothly. Never boring as stated above. Plus I love that it clocks in at under 40 minutes. Over the past 5 years or so I find myself only wanting to pull albums that are 45-50 minutes or less. I just can't sit through anything more. I've found that the shorter albums clearly have less filler and you're more than likely to want to listen multiple times. Anything over 60 minutes seems to get a listen and then shelved.

Anyway, highly recommended. Now I'm interested in seeing them on their upcoming tour.

George Co-Stanza and Goggen like this.
  21. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

This album has pulled me back into death cab. Sort of lost interest In them around Codes and keys. Saw them numerous times in the early days and suspect I got burned out on them. Regardless, the new album is fantastic .I've gone back and listened to Kintsugi, which is decent, but not near as captivating as I find Thank You For Today.

Side note: the Transatlanticism demos are near as good as the real album. Love the Postal Service vibe to them. You can see Ben's head space around that time

George Co-Stanza and scotti like this.
  22. George Co-Stanza

Pulled this out again recently and still really enjoying it. Northern Lights always puts a smile on my face. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.