Death to false yacht rock!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Can I ask a question,

What the F is Yacht Rock?

2. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Master Mariner's Regatta 2005.

Schooner Brigadoon
    Designed by L. Francis Hereshoff. Owned by Patti and Terry Klaus.

Brigadoon was built as Joanne in 1924 by the Britt Brothers in Lynn, MA. She is the first design by L. Francis Herreshoff, son of Nat Herreschoff. She sailed on the East Coast under various owners during the 1920s,1930s and 1940s. Sterling Hayden, sailor, actor, and writer renamed the boat Brigadoon of Booth Bay and sailed her to the West Coast in the 1940s. He sold her in the 1950s to a Southern California sailor who took her on the 1959 Transpac, and then to Tahiti for 6 months. Brigadoon came to the Bay Area in 1960. She was owned by land developer Gary Reese for 15 years, and he sold her to Dino Valenti of the Quicksilver Messenger Service. Patti and Terry Klaus purchased the boat in 1976, rebuilt her over the years, and have been successfully racing and sailing her for the past 30 years. Brigadoon has been the flagship of the St. Francis Yacht Club, the Master Mariners, and has been a consistent winner in MMBA, Jessica Cup Races, and has been a winner at the MMBA/Corinthian Wooden Boat Show held each June in Tiburon. Brigadoon has been sailed by two generations of family and friends over the last 30 years, with the third generation starting to come aboard. The Klaus Family still owns Brigadoon. She is berthed at the family home in Alameda.

http://www.boatingsf.com/boatpage.php?boat=4

3. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

What...so you can be like the 6th person to ask? Go through the thread and find out.

4. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Pull up a Barca lounger, have Jeeves pour you a cool mai tai, click this, and play yourself some of that Christopher Cross you've been dying to hear for ages. And happy sailin'!

5. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Death to false yacht rock.
    You can't kill something that doesn't exist. :nyah:

6. Synthfreek

Sorry I was so touchy. I haven't had a Piña Colada or Mai Tai yet and I've been stuck at work all day listening to my co-workers blasting all this much-too-heavy AC/DC music. I just need the marina, a drink and some really smooth tunes.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  7. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

Iron Maiden: Love Beach, Part 2.

Too bad I couldn't find the color pic.

[​IMG]

8. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

You learn about a new genre every day, never ever heard anyone mentioning YachT Rock badge. What's next Music for Diesel Motors ? Railway Boogie Woogie , Trampoline Reggae, Sauerkraut Polka or Underwater Tango.. The list is endless..

9. Considering how "yacht rock" is essentially a derogatory term, the concept of "death to "false" yacht rock is pretty amusing to me. It's kind of like say "Death to false Muzak"!

10. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

A.K.A. "West Coast". Everyone was jumping on the smooth West Coast sound in the late 70's. Doobies. Toto. Earth Wind and Fire. Chicago.

And the blue denim, tan-leather belt, hands-on-hips, collar unbuttoned-to-navel guys below were on the frontlines:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P.S. both of the above are excellent albums.

11. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Excellent post. Rule #1 of Yacht Rock.... showing the band actually *on a yacht* disqualifies from serious consideration. Plus, no hands on hips. No tan leather belts, etc.

[​IMG]

12. Bebstrel

Bebstrel Old-Timey Member

Silliest thread ever, sorry. What, is Airplay "false" country? Is Bread "false" heavy metal?

13. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Richard Page, Jay Graydon, Tommy Funderburk, Rick Springfield (yes, him), Mike Baird, Bill Champlin (major force in Chicago's post Terry Kath move into "Westcoast"), Kenny Loggins, and all the other guys you mentioned (and I'll mention the Toto (the Porcaros, Lukather) guys again, as they played on *everything*. Gino Vanelli! Even Steely Dan if you listen closely enough. Graydon played the now famous "Peg" solo.... the Dan's moved out to L.A. for awhile and had access to all the "cats" of the period.

Laugh as people may at "Yacht Rock" the players were tight, serious, hyper-talented, and reinventing pop music with some very inventive song structures. I honestly don't think anything quite like it, not the writing, not the playing, not the talent, has existed in modern pop music since.

Check out the "Airplay" album, though available only via overpriced import. Or alternate means.

Red likes this.
  14. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Dated and cheesy now, but still worth it's place in history even if viewed through an ironic modern lens....

Airplay's "Nothing You Can Do About It":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50E-AyWqSO8

and live in '94 (huge in Japan!):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN-BwVP9koc&feature=related

...and the "original" After the Love is Gone (with more Westcoast vibe, less R&B):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RtjatjyeQQ

and the Pages guys (who later became Mr. Mister):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GcdVc7hLMI&feature=related

"This is for the ladies who swear they're wearing white...
    this is for the hours of bliss they've missed so many nights...
    if you won't unleash your mad desires to me
    you can't expect to make romance can't you see?"

15. Paul R

Paul R Forum Resident

My first "rock" concert! 1980.

16. Synthfreek

The "false" thing in the title is an obvious Manowar reference people.

17. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Yacht Rock, Kraut Rock, Northern Soul, British Invasion

None of these is a musical genre.

18. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Exactly, I thought of Northern Soul when I saw this thread title. More like a historial perspective. "Northern Soul", in particular, has always annoyed me.

My parent's called, pretty much the same kind of stuff (notably The Tams of Atlanta GA, a Northern Soul staple), "Beach Music". Also not an actual genre.

Add to your list "Hair Metal"

19. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

....and their classic "Death to false metal" slogan.:D I'm glad someone got the joke! :righton:

That said I'm a huge fan of the genre and even though the term "Yacht Rock" started out as a joke (not exactly derogatory since the guys who made the series loved the music itself, they just made fun of everything around it) it's now embraced as a perfectly legit (though ironic) name for the great West-Coast soft-rock scene of the late 70's and early 80's. As every scene it had true yacht-rockers and bandwagon jumpers like ELP. Now the great irony is that from yacht-rock perspective the cover of Love Beach was great, but the music was false, no matter how hard they tried. The ELP fanbase obviously sees it the other way.

20. What about Firefall, You Are the Woman (if that is the name of the song and band). Ambrosia and Air Supply also come to mind.

21. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

I think that Firefall are more country rock while Ambrosia and Air Supply are pretty true stuff if not real monsters of yacht.

22. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Manowar :thumbsdn:

23. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

You would think these guys made a living playing "Margaritaville" or something.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Sweet Cheerio

Sweet Cheerio Forum Resident

Michael McDonald and Kenny Loggins.

Yacht rock forever! :wave:

25. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Yacht rock lovers need to pick this one up ASAP, as it's limited to 1,000 copies (CD and vinyl):

http://numerogroup.wordpress.com/2012/02/28/wtng-89-9fm-solid-bronze-revealed-8/

WTNG 89.9FM: Solid Bronze is an ode to radio station compilation albums of yore, back in the days of when FM jocks stoked the flames of stage acts in their broadcast area with hyped-up talent shows, invaluable airplay, and homegrown LPs stacked with the best efforts of bands not more than a few counties away. Solid Bronze covers all of that ground and then some: smooth rock, AOR, easy glide, hot tub soul, and earnest yacht rock sailing gentle radio waves. Fans of the Dans—Fogelberg, Steely, Seals, and Hill—this is your Numero record.

Here’s where we wax poetic:

There was a time when your hometown station really was your hometown station. Before media conglomerates demanded your coastal burg’s FM band be auto-shuffled via hard drive from a bunker in Alberta, regional frequencies battled tooth-and-nail for listener loyalty. Your allegiance was hard fought for by nicknamed jocks like Mad Dog Mike, The Big Bumper, and Captain Whammo, guerilla marketers high on major label cash and coke who’d stoop to any gimmick to keep the listener tuned in. They’d hand out keys to shiny new convertibles at remote broadcasts from Dairy Queen whilst skywriters spewed call letters over their broadcast domain. Free t-shirts were promised to eleventh callers who could recite station jingles. Repurposed weather copters spotted bumper stickers during drive time, offering the registered owner tix to REO Speedwagon’s gig at the county fair. At Chicago’s Comiskey Park, WLUP’s Disco Demolition Night rigged 100,000 unwanted LPs with explosives, detonating the pile on-field between games at a White Sox doubleheader and sparking a riot of fans united only by radio-promoted anger at a pop genre. At their best, though, radio stations offered coin of unique value back to their listeners. Though local acts got less than 5% of any given playlist, even such airwave leftovers kept small-time hopes alive. “Battles of the Bands” were staged, judged by on-air personalities and regional A&R reps, and winners got their shot at the big time. A handful of these epic contests were committed to wax for posterity, ad dollars, or tax shelter; only in hindsight is their full brilliance apparent.

When done correctly and courageously, radio station comps were referenda on the local pop talent, generating minor mountains of magnetic tape piled upon Program Directors’ desks, and culminating in alternately grueling and inspiring late-night listening sessions. Most groups hoped to emulate contemporary hitmakers, tailoring their sounds to the fickle tastes of major label brass. Unlike run-of-the-mill custom-recorded and privately issued amateur LPs, these best possible efforts of a listening area’s crop got the sheen of professionalism that obscures their “local” status: Ordained into service by radio overlords, these tracks were gonna make it. How could their humble creators ever doubt it?

In the spirit of the Great Radio Comp, we present WTNG 89.9 FM: Solid Bronze, in tribute to 11 would-be chart-climbers that scaled only their given city’s broadcast tower and fell. Here are working artists who deserve acknowledgement for their working-class commitment. None of them “made it,” but they believed—and so will you—in their one great song, that single shining moment in which everything came together and even those who owned the airwaves had to stop…and listen. These shouts into the void inspired momentary dreams of the big show, sold out in hours by a 15,000-seater’s box office, and a single pair of tickets left, awarded only to the 89th caller.

Phone lines remain open.

WTNG 89.9FM: Solid Bronze will be available on CD and LP, with both formats limited to 1000 copies, on April 21st 2012.

Track list:

Timothy – Your Love Rolled Over Me
    Leder Brothers – I’d Like To Touch A Star
    Cream & Sugar – Between Us
    J. Michael Henderson – Nite People
    Archie James Cavanaugh – Take It Easy
    Caroline Peyton – Try To Be True
    Roach Band – Aladdin
    Greenflow – I Got’Cha
    Dwain Vigil – Heaven’s Child
    Donna Kime – Golden Pony
    Lorren Cornelius – Fantasy Woman