Death to false yacht rock!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I feel like having a martini.. Or maybe doing some shopping.

2. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

If I owned a yacht and cruised around listening to Motorhead, Black Sabbath and maybe some 80s punk like X or Wire etc. -then I would be oblivious to what actual yacht rock is I suppose.
    This thread would be thoroughly disorienting.

3. OK, I don't think anything by tr00 kvlt yacht rocker Ian Thomas has been posted yet, so here's him and his band performing an abridged version of "Pilot" on the cred-boosting SCTV, back in 1981...

Come on, feel the SMOOTHNESS!

4. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

There's yacht videos, and then there's the granddaddy of all yacht videos!

sunspot42 and zen like this.
  5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

That's just Ron Burgandy classy! A band decades ahead of its time, obviously.

Finally, I have an answer to this question: What would happen if members of Traffic, Steely Dan and the Doobie Brothers formed a supergroup and took Valium?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  6. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

That's what I was thinking. :sigh:

7. Fastnbulbous

I think he meant excellent as in "excellent exemplar of the yacht rock cliche in all its excessive ridiculousness" or something similar.

24voltsdc likes this.
  8. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Is this "actual yacht rock"?

Jimmy B. likes this.
  9. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Finally, Yacht rock exposed for what it really is..

10. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

11. Fastnbulbous

It's unfortunate how this thread drifted so far off axis, from the calling out of "false yacht rock" to irony-free examples of yacht rock itself. How many threads devoted to Actual Yacht Rock do we need? I think if we kept it to FYR -- bands who just want us to believe they're going full yacht rock -- this thread could still serve a constructive purpose.

12. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I love yacht rock.

Paul R and zebop like this.
  13. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I have this up on YouTube right now. Digging it so far. :righton:

14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

15. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

I'm already pretty relaxed today, but this is over-mellowing my mellow.....I need a white wine spritzer and canapés, and I need them...well, whenever, there's absolutely no rush......

wavethatflag and Dudley Morris like this.
  16. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

Synthfreek likes this.
  17. brunofaetten

brunofaetten Forum Resident

The worst offender here has to be David Gilmour. Not only was he an in-demand session guitarist during the 80's yacht rock golden era (true yacht rock being a session man's game); he recruited yacht rock grandaddies Crosby and Nash for his album, defiantly titled "On An Island" (guess how he arrived there!?). As a final insult to YR purists, he has for the last 30 years insisted on recording on a houseboat, and his first major project in that studio begins with the sound of oars in water. Gilmour was clearly wise to the Yacht Rock agenda early on, and has been subverting it from within ever since, like an art rock mole.;)

mfp, AztecChimera, bagofsoup and 3 others like this.
  18. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I've never thought of Gilmour as a yacht rocker until this. But there are tell tale signs of his eventual ascension in the genre in "Comfortably Numb", lyrically, musically, and mood wise. I think I've decided there is no doubt that song inspired Christopher Cross' "Sailing". And as @Former Scientist so well-captured the YR aesthetic above, it is clear that the goal of this music is to achieve a comfortable numbness.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  19. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I still have that album from the Yachts..some good punk tunes on that one.

20. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Who's that group from the eighties, they did a song called, Captain Of The Ship....this one should fall into this category.

21. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I just received Too Slow To Disco 2 and Marc Jordan's Mannequin and Blue Desert in the mail today. Yep, it's gonna be a smoooooooooooth weekend!

22. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

You thinking of "Captain of Her Heart"? That was Double (pronounced "Doo-blay"). And if that's what you're referring to, you should hear this:

crapfromthepast likes this.
  23. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Death to False Yacht Rock Threads... ;)

24. brunofaetten

brunofaetten Forum Resident

Ah, but that's just it, you see. He's a false Yacht Rocker, assuming some of their smoothness and chill, associating with some of their causes (such as boat ownership and saxophone solos*), but also mocking the lifestyle and general aestethic of Yacht Rock with his unhip "writing songs with the missus" schtick and general Britishness.

* see also: Duran Duran

bagofsoup likes this.
  25. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

hahah, that's the song... ((total crap from the past)) I hate to admit this but I listened to the whole thing:winkgrin:. There was actually some versions of the song I liked. :pleased:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.