Death to false yacht rock!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I definitely do not associate Pink Floyd with Yacht Rock! Lol!

2. driverdrummer

3. driverdrummer

4. driverdrummer

5. driverdrummer

6. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Surprised no one mentioned tracks from this album which are a modern take on the "yacht rock" sound we're talking about:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  7. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Sounds more like C grade power pop to me.

8. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Probably mentioned already, but the ultimate Yacht Rock comps are California Groove 1, 2 and 3 - each 4 cd sets from Rhino France. Volume 2 is easy to find and cheap, but 1 and 3 are very rare, 3 in particular seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth (look for my extra copy going up on Amazon soon :D ).

zebop likes this.
  9. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I like all of the songs you posted but I hadn't heard this one before believe it or not. Such a nice song, I miss songs like this, very mature, smart and melodic.

driverdrummer likes this.
  10. driverdrummer

This guy is from my town.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  11. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

The only Yacht Rock Gospel worth listening will be delivered by:
    Michael McDonald and late Doobies
    Bill Labounty
    Christopher Cross

Nothing else matters.

12. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

There's also a one disc plus calendar (?!) California Groove: Special Edition that contains many tracks from Vol 1 and 2 (it was released between Vol 2 and 3), but also five or so tracks not included on any of the other comps, like Eye to Eye's "TWA Sari".

Malina likes this.
  13. RoyalScam

Maybe true for you, not for me though. Many others are "Gospel" to me and many others, like Pages, Rupert Holmes, Nicolette Larson, Marc Jordan, Michael Franks...

zebop and Comet01 like this.
  14. Clipper Sylvania

Clipper Sylvania L'écharpe d'abricot

This comes a bit late, but for those of you with SiriusXM, they're airing a limited-time channel solely dedicated to smooth music, channel 31's "Yacht Rock". J.D. Ryznar, Hunter Stair and Hollywood Steve have done a promo for the channel and the three of them will be hosting some sort of Yacht Rock retrospective on Thursday evening. The channel will continue through September 7, 2015.

Anyone have any ideas of how to convince SiriusXM to keep this channel as a going concern?

More information at the SiriusXM Blog

KeninDC and broccolid like this.
  15. broccolid

broccolid Trickologist

I've listened a few times. They have done a pretty good job of broadening the playlist enough to keep it interesting. For instance George Benson's "Give me the Night", which isn't rock, but is definitely smooth in way that is similar to the rock tracks.

Their '70s beach bum-sounding voiceover guy is pretty funny, too.

Clipper Sylvania likes this.
  16. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

These knuckleheads for starters:

[​IMG]

17. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

For the most part I've enjoyed the Yacht Rock channel, but there have been a few bizarre choices. Last night they played Eric Carmen's "Make Me Lose Control," for example, a song that came out in the late '80s and sounds nothing like real yacht rock.

18. RoyalScam

There are some incredible internet radio stations that go way deeper and kick the ass of the too-mainstream SiriusXM channel. Check out K-Sun Westcoast and West Coast Golden Radio (and if you're a Live365 VIP member - which, unfortunately I am not - there's West Coast 99).

kingofdmv likes this.
  19. driverdrummer

I'm impressed with Blue Jean Committee-a parody band but still nailed the sound.

20. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

The soundtrack to "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" has a lot of Y-rock on its soundtrack which the more punk-oriented director had objected to, according to the dvd commentary track. If you don't think Poco is yachty, check out their 80s stuff.

21. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

The new Work Drugs album has the yacht rock influence.

driverdrummer likes this.
  22. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

False Yacht Rock? I don't get it -- Isn't all yacht rock false?

23. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I'm also enjoying the SXM Yacht Rock channel, much to the chagrin of my lovely wife. The lyrics to "Thunder Island" are amazingly bad. Love it.

Clipper Sylvania likes this.
  24. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

He's only got a barge; that should get him bonus points.

25. Clipper Sylvania

Clipper Sylvania L'écharpe d'abricot

The playlist is acceptably broad. Funny thing was, I had no idea it was going on until I was scrolling through the channels and noticed "Hey, it's Olivia Newton-John and hey, it's "Magic", my favorite of her catalog". I did a literal double-take when I saw the channel's name on the full display. I don't think I've switched from the channel since then.

"Give Me The Night" is a smooth track; it definitely qualifies in my book. All in all, I really like the channel and I hope there's enough interest to keep it going. Nothing against the former occupant of channel 31, mind you. I just wouldn't mind having a single place for the smooth sounds of the late 1970s and early 1980s on the XM dial.

SiriusXM has to keep the fire.

RoyalScam and jimbutsu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.