Decent $300 range bookshelf speaker?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mknappe, Mar 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james

james Summon The Queen

I liked them too. you could probably probably get used M5's or ES-11/14's for 300ish

BIG ED likes this.
  2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I may be getting a pair of Wharfedales this weekend (Diamond 220; $349/pr.)... if so, I'll report back here in a couple of weeks (or maybe start a standalone thread about them.)

3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Pioneer SP-BS21-LR speakers $80/pair at Newegg. Do a search on them. :)

PearlJamNoCode likes this.
  4. ipl

ipl Member

Just picked up a beautiful like-new pair of Quad 11Ls for $325 on the innernet hi-fi classifieds. Some nice used deals to be had with a little patience and persistence.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  5. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

There are a few pairs of small monitors that are of the premium variety on our local "craigslist"
    One pair in particular is priced at less than 1/2 your indicated budget and could probably be had for even less as the seller cannot locate the grilles at the moment (excellent quality pair of JBLs running the "034") Claims to be a one owner pair

When you say "bookshelf", just HOW "bookshelf"? (give me some dimensions)

I have only done a cursory search; if you are interested in any help I will look closely at all that is there

I am in the East Bay near Concord; I will PM you any good candidates, with suggestions as to what to offer, if you are interested, and you can follow up on the leads

There's some decent stuff on the "list" right now for little money

6. mknappe

mknappe Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Posted this on behalf of a co-worker, will get back on dimensions.

7. duvallite

duvallite Well-Known Member

+1 on the Quad 11L. There's a nice pair that just came up on the 'Gon, asking $375.

8. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

@bhazen, did you pick up those Wharfedale's? What do you make of them? I'm thinking of auditioning a set myself.

bhazen likes this.
  9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Yes, I did! Very transparent and open ... Sounded "bright" right out of the box, but settled down after some break in. Can be placed next to walls for bass reinforcement.

Another Wharfedale winner; but definitely a different, more upfront presentation than, say, the current Denton.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  10. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Thank you. I'm not sure I'm looking for an especially "upfront" presentation. I'd just like something a little less brittle sounding than my current Wharfedales.

11. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

check out wwwaccessories4less.com of the jbl.com web sites.

12. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

These look quite nice. I've been looking for a small pair of speakers to use as surrounds, but it's hard to find anything that's small, yet has any bass. The specs on these say 50 Hz.

13. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I fun
    I find the bass more than adequate, particularly since I began using the Lounge phono stage rather than the a Pioneer SX-85o's input which was dying slowly, though it was ample there as well. Have a read of this series of reviews which include the Marimba: http://www.soundandvision.com/content/review-clash-minispeakers
    Stereophile also did an indepth Marimba review that proved decisive to my purchase.

erniebert likes this.
  14. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I heard the Marimba in a hifi shop, and I was very impressed by their imaging ability. When sounds decayed, I imagined them falling to the floor in three dimensional space between the speakers. I agree with the reviewer that said it sounds like sitting in front of the singer. They were being driven by the NAD C316bee integrated amp, and the combo was really nice at $700. I tested them with a variety of music over the course of about an hour, and nothing left me wanting. I guess they get knocked sometimes for being manufactured in China, for their looks, or for their association with Roy Hall, but they sound really good. They're on my short list.

15. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Since no one has mentioned them, I'll nominate my Triangle Titus 202 monitors ... (~2002 vintage). These are very easy to drive (I use 8Wpc SETs) and image like the dickens. IF you can find any used (I think they do go for ~$300/pair) they're excellent. Later get a 'fast' subwoofer to fill in the low bass, but the Tituses do go to ~50Hz with good fidelity.

james likes this.
  16. ben_wood

ben_wood A traveler of both time and space

Another vote for Ascend Acoustics. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.