Decent Cartridges for Decent Price

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ColeB24, Mar 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColeB24

ColeB24 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any one have a good suggestion on a decent cartridge for a kenwood kd-21R turntable, preferably something that is less than $150?

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

There are very few really nice quality cartridges less than $200 these days. the Audio Technica AT-VM95ML is a nice fit at $169.
    -Bill

bever70, nosliw, drobo and 10 others like this.
  3. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

No way you'll do better than that assuming capacitance is a match.

bever70, nosliw, macster and 3 others like this.
  4. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

These are some of the best at < 150$ IMO.
    Audio Technica AT-VM95EN
    Goldring E3

If you could stretch it you might want to go for Audio Technica AT-VM95ML.

ColeB24 and Floyd Crazy like this.
  5. Floyd Crazy

Floyd Crazy Senior Member

Second that AT-VM95ML best value quality Cartridge around.
    I bought one for my vintage Technics
    Turntable and it's been a pleasure to use.

drobo, Dubmart, ColeB24 and 1 other person like this.
  6. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

I third the nomination for the Audio Technica VM95ML in this price range. The retail price ($169) is a little above your $150 budget, but if you watch for promo codes for online retailers that carry Audio Technica products, you can get close. Parts-Express almost always has some promotion running. They just had a $15 off any order over $150 + free shipping offer that expired on the 26th. If you can wait a couple weeks, they will probably have a similar promo running.

Also, you can order directly from Audio Technica. Try promo code TIM2020 at checkout for a 15% discount. Not sure when it expires but it worked earlier this month.

33na3rd, rischa, Dubmart and 3 others like this.
  7. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I too am really enjoying my AT VM95ML I started with an Ortofon 2M Red, but regret not just going for the AT first. It is fabulous.

33na3rd likes this.
  8. ColeB24

Do you guys think I would just be better off buying a new TT and keep whatever that comes with and scrap the kenwood? (I got the kenwood for free but havent used it because the cartridge is broken, but everything i have read on it states it is a horrible turntable)

9. LakeMountain

Well, you asked for a cart for your Kenwood. A good cart on a poor TT will still sound better than with a poor cart. What is your budget for new TT?

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Do you have a picture of your Kenwood TT? I am seeing two different versions of this TT. One has a 1/2'' mount headshell and another is a P-mount version. Which one do you have? Pictures?

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  11. ColeB24

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Let me know if these help

12. ColeB24

I dont think the image posting worked

13. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

That is a horse of a different colour, as they say.
    If you want a good cartridge for your Kenwood, you've already gotten good advice. If you want to buy a new TT, that's a whole different question. I would think you could improve on the Kenwood without spending much more than $600, but there are other factors to consider as well.

The Gomper likes this.
  14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Create an account with Imgur, upload the images there, and post the link here.

15. ColeB24

It is the 1/2 mount, let me know if you still need a photo

16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

What kind of condition are the records in? What is the rest of your system? If you have a lot of old, dusty, filthy records in varying states of condition I'd probably stick with a cheap cartridge, something no more $50. Depending on what cartridge is already on the turntable (you don't mention this) you may be able to replace the stylus only with a cheap aftermarket option, especially if the main goal is just to get the TT up and running again.

17. ColeB24

18. ColeB24

Here is my setup. Posted link to my TT above. My records are mainly quality (at least that is the goal) i am 21 so building my setup to sound the best in a cost effective manner. Upgrading every once in a while is in my plans[​IMG]

19. ColeB24

Setup Imgur: The magic of the Internet

20. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

21. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

For images, use the IMG icon (the one that looks like a little mountain sunset), not the link icon.

22. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

I can't tell for sure, but that looks like one of the many AT cartridges that take the type 200 stylus. If so, you can still get NOS replacement styli at reasonable prices. Given that your tonearm looks to be fairly low mass, I'd recommend the ATS12 here for $45.00. I put one on a table I recently sold, and it sounded very nice. If you don't mind spending a little more, search on eBay for a NOS ATN12XE. They tend to go for around $80. It's a nice 0.3 x 0.7 nude elliptical.

Of course, this assumes your cartridge is what I think it is. A better photo of just the cartridge will help confirm.

ColeB24 likes this.
  23. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Ortofon OM10

Curiosity likes this.
  24. LakeMountain

Welcome to the complex world of turntables! It would still be good to hear what your listing objectives are and the status of your record collection, but for some inspiration you can have a look at this thread already:
    Covid Boredom, Turntable shopping advice needed
    What you also could do is buy one of the carts and install it on the Kenwood. If you upgrade to another TT later the new cart will certainly serve well on a TT for up to 1000$, and the AT-VM95ML even beyond 1000$ TT’s.

Mmmark, ColeB24 and Floyd Crazy like this.
  25. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Has a great upgrade path too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.