Declining Interest In Our Classifieds Thread?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by jsayers, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting.... Thread Starter

Gee whiz,it's rough going in there these days. I never see more than 15 - 20 folks cruising through there at a time, and tons of great deals go ignored and fall off the face of the earth. A sign of the crummy economic times? Too many seasoned forum members already have most of the rare items offered up for sale? Potential buyers only looking for impossible deals only? Who can say, but it's a tough place there these days.
    What's up with this? Has it always been like this and I'm only now noticing it, or is there a bad breeze blowing through the "for sale" posts?

I had a bunch of cds that didn't sell here, and after reducing them down numerous times with no bites, listed them on Amazon and roughly half of them sold very quickly, at my original <or higher!> asking price.

Color me confused and well, confounded. - John

2. b3n

b3n Forum Resident

I swear, if you put up more rare Joy Division you'll have a buyer lined up straight away.

In all seriousness thou, It comes and goes. For me, it's all about whats being offered - if the content is there I'll find a way to make it work.

3. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I think (hope) it's the economy. I was surprised when a couple nice items I put up recently didn't sell.

4. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I think it is the economy.
    I am always checking for T Rex CDs
    that I don't have.
    Sometimes I see other items that I
    am interested in like Monkees/Nesmith.

Darryl

5. filper

filper Forum Resident

Sure seems like it to me.

I noticed a drop off about six months ago... and a lot more lowered prices.

I'll bet if you searched 'bump' you'd get 100 pages.

6. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Economy and people are actually reading the archives and paying attention.

The best doesnt always cost an arm and a leg.

7. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

You list what I want, I'll buy it. Lately, I've noticed a drop-off in interesting SACDs personally...

8. A.G. Pennypacker

A.G. Pennypacker Forum Resident

Not just classifieds, but the rest of the Marketplace has never seemed to get all that much attention. It makes me chuckle when someone posts something in Music Corner because "not as many people will see it in the Marketplace threads." I don't know if people just don't like it that their posts don't count toward their total, but not too many people seem to hang out here. Okay by me - more chance for me to actually get something!

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The economy could very well be a factor. Another one is that it's summer (at least in North America, where most of our members are located). Some folks are likely saving money for vacations and, along the same lines, cutting back on music purchases since they will be out of the house more.

As a collector of early CD pressings, I have seen bidding down on eBay over the past few months. Additionally, I have seen higher-priced early pressings not selling here. Many of the likely explanations have already been offered here -- the economy, collectors already have these discs, people are looking for bargains, and, in some cases, people are finding the same mastering on common, cheaper pressings.

Hardware has always been a tough sell here. I guess we don't have many members looking for used components. Audiogon seems to be the way to go with hardware.

10. pdovore

pdovore Forum Resident

I've certainly noticed the downturn in interest here on the Forum and in other markets as well.
    Although this makes purchasing very difficult - since sales finance my purchases - it does mean the market is ripe for buyers looking for a bargain. The number of absolute steals I have acquired lately is astonishing, however i'm increasingly forced to stay my interest, due to a lack of sales.
    So for me, sadly, no sales = no buying also

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm always looking and ready to buy - I just don't see a ton of stuff I want.

I did drop $38 on Classified purchases the other day - I'm stimulating the economy, baby! :D

12. pdovore

pdovore Forum Resident

I dropped $40 + $45 + $25 on the Forum in the last two weeks - all to Items sold my Mark / SCARSE. - I'm certainly doing my bit!
    I would have bought even more had sales been better.

13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Consumer confidence is high. :D

14. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Another factor... AF reissues... Steve working on vinyl.. Nat Cole etc.. the Bluenotes.. the AP series.. and MM... the Beatles coming up. The last days of cds and a bunch of boxsets.. Big Star etc.. Neil Young Archives... on and on.. pretty exciting days for stuff we never thought we would see.

15. audiofiles

audiofiles New Member

I just kind of woke up to this recently. I think it's a fantastic place to buy stuff because unlike Ebay you are pretty much offered mainly quality pressings and because most of us are collectors the items would more than likely be carefully graded.

16. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

It's a buyer's market. I have been spending way too much -- mostly here and on eBay -- just because I think most of this stuff is not getting any cheaper in the long run. Have to take advantage of things while I can!

But yes, I've noticed the classifieds here slowing down. Harder to sell things compared to a year ago.

17. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I've noticed a disturbing increase in shipping charges lately ($7.00 for a record?) I know costs have gone up, but not that much...

18. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Dudes,

Tell me about it, mols def a moajor drop off, it is like the bad E sitch finallyh caught up this place... sucks big time, only rare items or super killer deals seem to sell, and even them, a total buyers market... nice stuff, once snapped up, sits like rust sleeping...

cheeres,

:cheers:

EDIT: on vacation, using my boy's girlfriends laptop, nopt iused to it, and the mouse, so ****tey keybored tiyping sootty..

plus we hit the stars...

mrb

19. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Good Job you don't live in Australia then. Our Gov run Australia Post normally costs $10-12 for interstate, and between $15-20 for one LP. I sometime laugh out loud when I hear you boys moaning about shipping. Plus you get the vinyl cheap as well. Lucky you!

black sheriff likes this.
  20. Jae

Jae Senior Member

I sent two LP's to New York last week and was charged $32!!! :eek: :eek:

I saw a couple of "USA only" sales here a while ago so stopped looking.

21. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I still buy if I want something but there will come a point shortly when even I will slow down.

My own eBay shop is slow at the moment even when prices are reduced.

22. I am new to the classifieds so I don't know how they were before this month.

What I see is about half the listings have CD's that are only in VG+ or lower condition. Yes, there are many are in EX as well, but that appears to only be a mid-grade condition. In comparison I've noticed fewer CD's in the nice Ex+ or M- grades. Was this always the way it was or is it a recent trend to try and pickup up a few bucks by selling off the weak links in a collection? If so, along with economic conditions, it could be a factor in lowered interest in the classifieds.

23. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I think we just have what we need right now and less being sold that we want.

24. phish

phish Jack Your Body

most of the stuff i've seen sold is either not my taste or the jazz stuff is VERY expensive or snapped up quick.

that and a lot of the people that sold the stuff i bought either don't post or sell here anymore.

25. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Most of us are cautious graders.
    I wouldn't worry unduly about a VG or better grading when it comes to just being able to put disc in player and being sure it will play fine.
    Believe me some stuff I've bought graded VG was better than I got new at retail!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.