Declining Interest In Our Classifieds Thread?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by jsayers, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xman

xman Active Member

1st off I never give anyone a bad review though I should have. On one occasion the seller stated a cd was pristine. When I received it I couldn't wait to play it, when I looked at the playing surface it had a big gouge (unbelievable), it also was a cutout (pristine huh). Yeah, he sent me a refund after a long hesitation of about a month (I also paid to return it). On a second occasion I purchased 3 cd's and paid postage for 3 cd's. I received 2 cd's with a refund of the amount I bid on a certain title (the one that piqued my interest). The seller explained that he had "misplaced the cd" and refunded my purchase price (without including postage). Had I known I wasn't going to receive all the cd's I bid on I would have cancelled the whole deal as I wrote a check. That certainly put a damper on my expectations here. I would never dream of doing that to anyone. My two cents worth.

2. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

Actually, this is the worst time to be selling your more valuable items. Why pay $100 for a DCC gold CD and sell it for $50 now? Unless you're really in need of money, the best way to go about it is to keep holding.

:wave:

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Agreed, but if someone's hurting for cash now, that $50 sounds good!

4. dee

dee Senior Member

If I wasn't trying to sell a few titles here and there right now, I'd be buying. I dunno, I've seen a lot of tempting titles and fair prices listed in the classifieds in the past few weeks. I think I'd be posting to purchase, in one thread or more per page, if I was buying and collecting right now.

5. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

It's the economy. At least in my case :sigh:

6. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

The truth is everybody's saving money to buy Beatles boxes:shh:

Despite the great deals I often see I have not bought anything here yet. Mainly because I do not have a paypal account (a friend of mine that has it occasionally buys CD's for me from e-bay), but my impression is positive and I think 99% of the sellers are OK and very professional. I bought a CD from forum member Sergio through e-bay some months ago and I was stunned..a bulletproof packaging and a bargain price..If all the other sellers have only half his quality then I think this is a great place to buy music...

P.S.
    well I'm saving too (for The Beatles mono box) :D

7. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

Tough to say. The fact that CDs, whether it's legal or not, can be downloaded, puts a question mark on their future value. [It could increase the value of course, by exposing more people and creating the fetishistic demand for the disc itself rather than just the downloaded data.] As well, don't forget that a subsequent reissue (even from SH himself) can always drastically alter the value of out of print reissues. A DCC is not an original, after all. And tastes change, so the most sought DCCs today might not be tomorrow.

Further, what you paid should be a completely separate issue from what you sell for. You can't change what you paid, you can only decide what price you will accept now.

And last, has any DCC halved in value? I'm seeing more like $75 a year ago and $60-$65 today, at least on the classifieds.

8. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

Pet Sounds, perhaps?

9. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

Which just amplifies my main point--reissues don't necessarily hold their value when new "greatest" versions could always be around the corner.

10. pdovore

pdovore Forum Resident

I think I know which seller you are referring to here. I will check soon. But i've only had one very bad experience here - graded mint and received 3 months later and not the same issue (French instead of West German) and scratched badly.
    Didn't leave a neg since it's the Forum, but I may after reading several postings here. It was a terrible experience

11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Yeah, that must be it. He's cracked the case!

12. The Great One

The Great One formerly known as SCARSE

I had a similar experience with Seller X .... bought a Blue Swirl and received a Red one :shake:

13. KeithH

I've encountered a couple sellers here who grade everything mint and have been similarly disappointed. While I have gotten the correct pressings, the discs were not in the condition stated.

14. KeithH

Did you get a refund?

15. The Great One

The seller did not accept paypal so I asked a fellow forum member to send them $$$'s on my behalf and I in turn made good with a payment through paypal.
    To get a refund would have been more trouble than it was worth and I didn't think it was fair on the kindly forum chum who sorted out the payment on my behalf.
    So in answer to your question ..... No :)

16. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

:(

17. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

I really wish people would post negative feedback when they have a bad experience. It would help me avoid bad sellers on here. :shake:

18. The Great One

I have left negative feedback here and of course received a negative in return when the seller has chosen to retaliate. I was guilty of paying immediately :eek: :laugh:

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

You can report retaliatory feedback to one of the Marketplace gorts.

20. KeithH

Right on.

21. KeithH

:(

I rarely buy from sellers who do not take PayPal. While I understand to a point why they don't, it is 2009, folks. It's a hassle to go to the post office and get a money order. PayPal protects the buyer.

22. The Great One

I did but the Gorts would not remove it, they said that as I had so many positives it was nothing to worry about and it would be clear to buyers/sellers that this was a one off incident :confused: I guess they have to go with the 'everybody is entitled to their own opinion' line ..... even if it is total nonsense :laugh:

23. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Mark, Jamie is looking good in your avatar.

I am a bit like you (not that I have sold much here) but bad feedback bothers me especially when I didn't deserve it and knowing your circumstances you didn't deserve it Mark.

It should have been wiped clean.

24. pdovore

pdovore Forum Resident

Can't possibly imagine you deserving a negative strike Mark, that is for sure. Speaking from experience, our trades have always been reasonable and very fair

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That'll teach you! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.