Decware and Rega RS1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by riknbkr330, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

You may want to call Steve and ask his opinion on the stepped volume control. After discussing, I opted not to get it. The meters should show any clipping... if I understand correctly. I'm not sure the amp has an actual volume max that damages the amp. The design looks both simple and industrial.

2. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member Thread Starter

With my 90db Rega's, and the volume knob (not stepped), that runs from 7 - 5 (think of a clock face, as I don't know a better way to equate this), the volume that I enjoy is around 2:30PM. I have driven the amp to around 3:30 or even 4, but a slight distortion will occur and I lose dynamic headroom. Around 3PM I can see the meters bouncing a little bit depending on the musical peaks. Also I've rolled a few tubes in, but I think it's still too early to really say what works with what as I really need to get to know the sound of the amp with the default tubes I got..the 6N1P; Russian Tung Sols El-34 and 274B valve. I've got Siemens EL-34s and Philips ECC88s on it right now as I though I'd play around with that.

My OPPO BD-105 will deliver enough voltage to the inputs, but I'm finding that my phono preamp is a bit short. It does get to 60db, but I'm not sure what the voltage is at the input.

I've sent in a message to Louis at Omega as I'm interested in Monitor 7 speakers, which I'm going to purchase. So I'll see what type of improvement will happen there.

I won't say it's "not loud" enough, as it is, and I really couldn't justify getting the Zen TorII amp at this time. I will say that I've had some jaw dropping moments, especially with some mono sources. The depth is there that was lacking with my SS amp.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  3. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

Every once in a while a used Torii will show up for sale. I got a Mk. II for a very reasonable price last year and it's superb. The headroom is definitely nice and even with efficient speakers its nice to have the extra oomph for dynamic swings imho.

4. riknbkr330

After doing a little bit more research, I think I'll need a SUT to interface between my Rega P5, Dynavector 20X2-L and the Musical Surroundings Phonomena II that I'm using. Looking at Decware's input sensitivity for the "Rachel", it is spec'd at 2.5 volts. I would need to get a gain of ~78dB in order to match that effectively.

Just for experimenting, I switched out the Rega with a Dual 1264 that I have with the Ortofon MM cart, setup the Phonomena for 47K operation, and the gain set at 46dB, and now I'm enjoying vinyl playback.

So the hobby continues.....ugh.

Anyway, I'm considering the SUT and looking for some recommendations. I do want to stay with the Phonomena, but I did see a Creek OBH 15MKII with 70 db of gain for the cost of a K&K SUT...I don't know if that's a good step though.

BTW, Omega Monitor 7s are on order now and should be getting them in a week's time or so.

beowulf likes this.
  5. riknbkr330

Ok...Omega Monitor 7s have about 20hrs. on them now and ....HOLY GOODNESS!!....I've been listening to music about 8 hrs. straight today so far and my, my, my this is now a system that puts a big smile on my face.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  6. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I'm curious, now that you have the new speakers, what volume level do you play the amp at now? Is it lower than the 2:30 position you said you liked with your old speakers?

7. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Are these the Super 7 Monitor Mk. 2? How would you describe the difference between them and the RS1's?

beowulf likes this.
  8. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Good question and +1 to the OP.

I have the Omega RS7 towers and I have demo'ed the Rega speaker line all the way up to the RS7 (interesting that the model designations are similar) and felt the Regas were a little too polite and laid back for my tastes. I feel the Omegas walk that fine line of not being too warm/laid back nor too bright. Defintely a very non-fatiguing speaker that is also dynamic, fast and of course (with a single driver point source) images very well.

bhazen likes this.
  9. riknbkr330

It's a bit interesting because I'm also switching out the "preamp" tubes. Basically if I'm using the 6NP1s, they handle a bit more head room and I'll go from 1 o'clock to about 3 o'clock position.....that's about where my ears can stand it. It really depends on the source with that tube complement.

Usually the digital sources, which there's more output coming from my DAC, I'll stick with the 6NP1s. For my TT, which has LOMC cart and a max of 60dB output, I will use the 6NP2s.
    These provide more gain, and help with the input sensitivity of the amp input. If I use my DAC with this complement I have to turn that down or I get distortion at the input.

The volume is around 1PM with the TT, but I can take it to 3 PM to really drown out anything around me.

Usually I listen this loud after work or into the night. Mornings I usually don't pass it around 11 or 12 on the dial.

These are the Super 7 monitor Mk.2...in fact, these are the actual speakers as Louis told me he was taking some new photos for the cover page:
    [​IMG]

They are still breaking in, I'm estimating I'm at around 60 or 70 hours. Louis told me around 80 they would start sounding their best.

What I've noticed is that there's more extension in the high frequency than the RS1s had. Room reverberation and the sound of a recorded room resolves well. Acoustic guitars, listening to Laurence Juber's Beatles recordings, sounded like he was in front of me. Had to play that CD again, but I gave him some bass accompaniment as well.

They were initially bass shy as opposed to the RS1s, but I've moved them around a little bit in the room...closer to the wall and I'm sure my bass traps are absorbing some of that energy as well.

Overall though I'm very impressed, and really exposes the differences between poor masterings and good masterings. Vinyl pressings, especially older analog ones in my collection, that are well mastered are very, very pleasing to hear. Digital pressings are not too bad, but there's a marked difference and I'm still trying to nail as to what that difference really is. The RS1s, btw, is still a great little speaker and I've now got them on another system (TV) and they're performing much better than the speakers they replaced (Alesis monitor ones). One thing these Omegas remind me of is my Boston Acoustic A60s. The imaging is just really amazing once you get something dialed in that has that....say "Waterloo Sunset"...oh those voices floating around my head. But things like mono recordings just have such a great sense of depth.

Yes, if the source recordings are well mastered, there is little to no fatigue. I believe this past Saturday I ran the system for 12 hours straight. I probably sat in for about 8 - 10 hours of that. Taking some breaks, but yes, where there's a well recorded and not too dynamically limited recording involved, it really is an engaging speaker.

beowulf and bhazen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.