Decware introduces new modified TEAC DSD Recorder

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lonson, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

2. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

I might buy this!:)

3. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Tascam DA-3000: I was expecting someone to get around to modding these. I forgot exactly who; but, there were sonic upgrades for the DV-RA1000(s), as well. I guess if I want one of these, I should jump on it, too. If Henry J(Gibson) is in control of Tascam, no doubt this unit will have a shorter run than it's predecessor and the company run into the ground.

Maybe Modwright can work up a tube mod for these. :D

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Thanks for the notice

5. Lonson

Yes, Decware moved to this because the TEAC cd player with iPod dock they were modifying was discontinued.

And their implementation seems inspired by the success of the PS Audio DirectStream DAC, which I know Steve Deckert has spent a little time with.

6. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

:shake: I fear the worst. Better look at the budget, again.

BTW: It was Jim Williams (audioupgrades.com) who offers(?)/offered the RA1000 upgrades.

7. mds

mds Forum Resident

So has any one heard the ZDSD decware DAC? I have searched for reviews on site and the Internet and can't find any.

8. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

What's interesting is something with no mention in the info: it looks as though it can accept balanced XLR input from a mic pre. Quite an affordable way to make DSD recordings, especially of live gigs. Of course, it's not the stealthiest of gear but for a few rack spaces you can have a nice DSD recording rig that doubles as your playback source. Or, buy two, one for on-site use and one to accept your SD card back at the ranch. :)

9. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

Unless I am wrong Decware's mods are only related to the output stage. Anyone interested in using it as a recording solution only would be better off just buying the stock Tascam for less money.

10. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Read the full article:

BONUS: YOU CAN RECORD DSD AUDIO WITH IT - If you're not into wasting money on special software and inferior hardware to record your albums or tapes, stay tuned because this machine is simply a fantastic digital recorder. It records directly to SD cards making it possible to get perfect hi-res bit perfect DSD and double DSD recordings of your analog treasures with results so true to the source you'll have trouble telling the two apart.

11. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

Read the specifications of the stock Tascam unit. There is no difference on the recording side and it costs many hundreds less.

12. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I don't quite understand your responses here. Obviously, those interested in the DECWare mods are interested in not only having an high res recorder but also a hardware playback appliance taken to "the next level". With the recent acquisition of another, I now have two DV-RA1000HDs. But, unless Hi Res files are imported into a project, or the project is burned as a DVD project backup, there is no way to playback high res files. Besides that the RA1000(HD)s are out of production. The DA-3000 solves this little PITA by allowing playback straight off USB storage... plus you get double DSD. Sure the stock unit sounds great; but, if the budget allows and the mods are worth it to the ear of the beholder, why not? It's an A/D/A. It has more uses than just recording.

13. Lonson

There are two or so on the Decware forums who have discussed the ZDSDs they bought.

14. mds

mds Forum Resident

I just visited the decware forum. Seems a unit has been ordered but no review yet. I will keep checking.

15. Lonson

beowulf likes this.
  16. donluca

donluca Active Member

I'm curious to hear a DA-3000 vs ZDSD comparison (playback wise, obviously).
    The ZDSD costs almost two times the original DA-3000 and if the only upgrade is in the output stage by replacing opamps with transformers... meh, I can do that myself without much trouble and at a fraction of the price.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the DA-3000 to digitalize my vinyl collection.

17. mds

mds Forum Resident

18. o0OBillO0o

o0OBillO0o Forum Resident

Same here. As far as I can see, the modification allows for RCA or single ended connection. So it seems if you have a McIntosh C2300/2500 the advanced single ended mod is not necessary. What else am I missing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.