Dedicated headphone and headphone amp users corner.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Sep 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

My apologies if I have duplicated a previously established thread but my search did not disclose anything on point. The premise for this thread is simple. Are you a headphone amp/ headphone set dedicated user? You could use them primarily or occasionally or whatever but you have a system, have an opinion to express, a joke to make , a story to tell, an inquiring mind for your fellow forum members experiences or recommendations or ? Hang out here for all things headphone. My story-love my STAX system( SRM 3 and Classic phones. I am listening to Bach's Brandenburg Concertos as I write this post. Lovely detailed sound very revealing of the source.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. Daedalus

I am using my Stax combo this morning to listen to a beautiful version of Beethoven's ninth symphony performed by the Boston Symphony Orchestra conducted by Charles Munch. Part of the big Munch box set. The Stax headphones( or ear speakers as they call them) are very detailed, revealing and wonderful to use to listen. The version of amp I am using is dead quiet and produces accurate sound to the source. I have never heard Stax's triode tube headphone amp so I can not compare. These electrostatic phones are very clean and detailed.

billnunan likes this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I use headphones to extend my listening sessions, especially to allow me to listen on weekends in the mornings when m wife sleeps in or during weekday evenings and weekend times when my wife is catching up on shows I really don't want to watch (most on HGTV).

I use a PS Audio PerfectWave transport and DAC to feed a Decware ZTPRE and Decware CSP3-25 and the latter drives both my Decware 25th Annversary SE84UFO3 Monoblocks and my Decware Taboo Mk IV headphone amp. I have three pairs of headphones, and another headphone station upstairs with a Denon flagship universal player and a Decware Taboo Mk III. In the first mentioned system I mainly use Sennheiser HD800S and in the other I mainly use Oppo PM-1 though I also occasionally use Audeze LCD-2 in both. The sound of the first mentioned is bliss-inducing: detailed yet a bit a warmth, dynamic and the sound wraps around my head. I used to not really enjoy listening to headphones, but with these setups that is no longer the case!

SandAndGlass and Daedalus like this.
  4. Daedalus

The Decware are single-ended tube based?

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes, the Taboo are. The CSP3 is an OTL design.

6. crazy eights

crazy eights Truckstop Lovechild

i have trouble sleeping so i pop these babies on at night and it sure does help, hifiman he400i

[​IMG]

Opeth, billnunan, souladdikt and 6 others like this.
  7. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I hope your thread takes off, I could learn a lot here. I currently use an Emotiva Stealth DC-1 for a Headphone amp/DAC. I have three sets of headphones, Grado 225i's. Grado 325e's and Senn HD650's. I think the Emotiva amp is a little on the dark side and that along with my aging ears favors the Grado's, but I sometimes use the HD-650's. My sources are a laptop computer still using Winamp as the player and an OPPO BDP-93 for CD's. I also have a Dragonfly Red that I use on occasion with the Computer. I end up listening to this stuff more than my speaker setup so as not to disturb others in the house.
    I will look forward to hearing what others own as I try to put together an upgrade path for myself.

Daedalus likes this.
  8. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I have loads of headphones - Massdrop x AKG M220, K-601, Grado SR-80e, Beyerdynamics DT-770/80 Pro, DT-880, Sennheiser HD650, Denon AH-D2000, Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE4XX, Massdrop x Focal Elex.

I've migrated from an ancient HeadRoom MicroStack to a Schiit Stack (Eitr -> Modi 2 MB -> Vali2 or Magni 3) and finally to a Schiit Gungnir MB -> AURALiC Taurus MKII.

I'm at the point where I don't feel a need to upgrade. My CD-5003 and my KD-2070 -> PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter both run through the Gumby (the TT set-up also goes straight analog to my Onkyo TX-8555).

I like headphones when I need to block out the world, when I'm working with needledrops, or if I just don't want to bother anyone. I can hear differences between different releases, etc. a little easier with headphones than with speakers, so that's kind of fun. I also can tell the difference between needledrops (compared Ortofon 2M Red, Shure V15 Type III w/JICO SAS stylus, and Audio-Technica VM750SH recently) much easier with headphones vs. speakers. I do admit, however, that speakers are my preferred choice. There isn't much that compares with tossing on a favorite album, CD, or FLAC file and cranking those babies up!

Daedalus likes this.
  9. Daedalus

I use my Stax combo in the mornings when I want to listen and not disturb others who are still sleeping. I also use them at other times when I want to listen to a recording in a way that allows me to experience the music without distraction and evaluate the quality of the recording, the beauty of the music, the interplay of the musicians, the ambiance of the recording, etc. I have said earlier in this thread that the Stax is very clear and recealing. I am interested to learn about other headphones, amps or combos that you all enjoy-and what are their appealing characteristics. Do you favor some for rock-classical, etc.

10. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

The HE4XX, Elex, DT880, K601, and HD650 are the headphones I use the most. I really like the Elex most of the cans I own. I like using it for every genre. Truth be told, I don't have headphones I prefer for certain genres, although the D2000 and its cousin, the Fostex TH-X00 are really fun for bass-heavy stuff like dance or hip-hop. I guess I'd reach for the HD650, DT880, or K601 if I were ready to chill with some classical. The AURALiC Taurus MKII can drive just about any headphone, so I don't worry about any of my cans not being fed enough "juice" to reach their potential. I also don't think the Taurus does much editorializing.

One or two words for each of the headphones I own:
    HE4XX: bass extension
    Elex: revealing
    M220: disposable
    SR-80e: fun
    DT-770/80: movies/games
    HD650: polite
    AH-D200: handsome fun
    TX-X00: MOAR BASS
    K601: long sessions
    DT880: crisp

Solace, Daedalus and SandAndGlass like this.
  11. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I've reached my "endgame"-Sennheiser HD600s (I also have PortaPros and SHP9500s). They are the culmination of several years of trial and error with many many cans coming in and out. For amplification I'm either using my old Onkyo receiver as a headphone amp (drives the Senns excellently), or my trusty FiiO E10k for the other cans. I don't really have full range speakers so this is it for me.

The HD600's do everything I need them to, with a perfect combo of pristine clarity and visceral slam (that's right-there's bass in them thar cans). They are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn (I never had a problem with clamp), and I'm gonna ride these into the sunset.

GyroSE, timind, luckybaer and 2 others like this.
  12. Michael Sutter

Michael Sutter Forum Resident

I'm a headphone listener above all else. Started with Koss PRODJ200s after I got my first ever paycheck. Moved up to Audio Technica ATH-M50Rs a year later, and those really came to life after I added a DAC/amp with the Schiit Fulla. I dipped my feet into open cans with the Superlux HD 681 EVO, which I liked, but were clearly lower quality than the M50. Eventually I moved over to Sennheiser HD598SE, which was revelatory in its smoothness and soundstage compared to the M50. When I then moved over to the Sennheiser HD 6XX, I set up a new rig in anticipation:

Schiit Modi 2 DAC
    Little Dot MK2 amp (C3G driver and 6SN7GTA power tubes)

I use a Schiit SYS to switch between the Modi and my phono amp, a Little Bear T10 with Voskhod drivers and a Reflector rectifier tube. I also have the Modi plugged into a Schiit Wyrd, which is a really convenient way to clean up noisy power.

A few weeks ago I picked up a used Schiit Magni 3 for like $60 because I was sick of wasting tube time on YouTube videos and games. In some ways I actually prefer the sound of the Magni to the Little Dot, but when I play vinyl I stick to the tubes.

My next step would be to try some planar magnetics, I think, or maybe save up and get electrostatics. I dunno. I'm satisfied for now.

13. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have not seen a similar thread here either. Seems like a good time to start one.
    I also have a Decware amp. A Mini Torii, which is a 3.9-Watt dual mono design single ended pentode.

[​IMG]

It is tube rectified and tube voltage regulated (input and output) and has the sound quality of a small SET. It is more expensive than many small SET's, including ones made by Decware themselves.

It has the headphone jack U/G option with a 1/4" phone plug jack.

I have a Hi-Fi Man He-400, the original version. Also a couple of pairs of in-ear monitors, including the Hi-Fi Man RE-600's.

[​IMG]

Now day's, I don't listen much to headphones, my preference is listening to speakers. I do like the sound of headphones and the Mini Torii combination.

Unfortunately, I don't like wearing headphones on my head.

14. souladdikt

souladdikt Forum Resident

I prefer speakers but listen to headphones often in the home office and my work office. I lived in a loft on top of a bar for 5 or 6 years and used iems (Shure E4's straight from my ipod--this was over a decade ago) to block out the noise from the street. I still use iems for travel: Campfire Orions powered by an AQ Dragonfly Black fed from my phone. At my desk at home I use Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6XX and Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 with a Schiit Jotuneheim and Modi Multibit. I don't have any music stored on my computer, so I stream via Tidal.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    luckybaer, Daedalus and SandAndGlass like this.
  15. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball paired with Sennheiser 600's and 650's - dedicated nighttime listening;

DarkVoice 336SE paired with Bayerdynamic 990 (600 Ohm) - dedicated nighttime listening;

Little Dot Mk II paired with Sennheiser 598SE - desktop system, vinyl drops;

Audio-Technica ATH-M40X and AKG M220 paired with LG V30+ phone - dedicated listening at the gym and at the beach.

Pangea HP-201 amp - in storage;

FiiO A3 portable amp - in storage;

16. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Currently using 2 separate combinations:
    1. Stax Lambda Nova Signature "earspekers" driven by Stax SRM Monitor electrostatic headphone amp/diffuse field equalizer.
    2. Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 2 headphones driven by SPL Phonitor 2930 headphone amplifier.
    The former combination is smoother in the treble and vocals, but possibly has a little less kick in the very bottom end. The latter is brighter, but sounds excellent with recordings with a smoother treble. Still not quite as nice as the Stax combo, however.

timind and Daedalus like this.
  17. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

My Stax amp, L700 setup is dedicated for vinyl - Mobile Fidelity Ultradeck into a Parasound phono pre. I just finished listening to Bernard Herrmann, Peter Tosh and the soundtrack to 'Tron Legacy' by Daft Punk. It's been a fun evening.

I have another system for digital music, Bluesound Node2 streamer into a Hegel dac, a Violectric V280 amp running Focal Clears.

If I could only keep one system... that would be a really tough decision.

I used to have HD800S's but after about a year of listening to the Clears I just couldn't deal with their issues any more.

james and Daedalus like this.
  18. For late night listening, I love my
    Schiit Valhalla 2—>Grado extension cable—>Sennheiser HD600’s
    For vinyl and the telly

luckybaer and Daedalus like this.
  19. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

I scrimped and saved for a decent dedicated headphone setup while in university and then sold it when I moved off campus. Sennheiser HD650’s driven by an Original Electronics Master amp and a NOS DAC. Excellent sound, but man the 650’s clamped my head like crazy - and I have a pretty small head compared to many.

I’m guessing not many people would be familiar with that amp, so here is an old review:
    SoundStage! "All In Your Head" Back-Issue Article (5/2006)

I’d like to someday get another headphone setup going (the Decware gear looks very nice), but every time I start doing the research I just think I’d rather put that cash into my main stereo.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    Daedalus likes this.
  20. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I recall that Original Master amp. It was one of the few affordable headphone amps available back then that was getting good reviews. So few headphone amps available back then. I wanted one, but was unwilling to gamble $200 on an amp I couldn't hear before buying. Back then you'd have to twist my arm to get me to consider a $200 headphone amp. Now I'm willing to spend $2K+ on a headphone amp without any arm twisting. Times have changed. The amps available now are better at all price points than what was available in the early 2000s.

luckybaer and Daedalus like this.
  21. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

Yep, it was a nice amp for the price at the time. Very substantial power supply. My one complaint was the cheesy volume knob - it just felt cheap and didn’t match the quality of the amp at all.

Daedalus likes this.
  22. timind

timind phorum rezident

For years I was using IEMs straight from an ipod for my eadphone listening. Every once in a while I'd buy a pair of "real" headphones, but had two problems. First, I couldn't find anything comfortable enough for long term (45+ minutes), and second, I wasn't willing to go with a dedicated headphone amp.
    When I started doing more serious listening at night I decided I needed a better system. After a lot of searching and trials, I've ended up with Beyerdynamics DT990 premiums 250 ohms. Along the way I tried Sennhieser HD650, Hifiman HE560 and HE400i, as well as Beyerdynamic T1. The DT990s are the most comfortable on my ears. They also have the sound I prefer.
    As for amps, I've built a Bottlehead Crack, a Bottlhead S.E.X., a Nuforce HDP as well as a Nuforce Icon Ido. I'm sticking with the Nuforce HDP. The HDP bested the Crack for me. The S.E.X. might've sounded better, but it had too much gain for me.
    Oh yeah, my source is a 5th gen ipod with 512 gb of memory which is sitting on an adapter that allows me to get the line out to the amp.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

I'm using my headphone setup a lot more lately - especially at night. It's addicting:

Bluesound Node2 or Yamaha CD300 (both coax) --> Benchmark DAC3 --> Benchmark HPA4 HP /Preamp --> Sennheiser HD800S

I had no idea how awesome the HD800S could sound until now.

24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Curious? I have the older Hi-Fi Man HE-400's. I do like the Sennhieser HD650's. What were your opinions of either of these, audio wise only, besides the comfort factor?

What was the factor that lead you to the DT990's?

25. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

I am relatively new to headphone listening, I found myself listening to my main system less and less due to volume issues with the rest of the world, so I bought a pair of ATH-M50x Audio-Technica's and a Schiit Magni. I was stunned at how good headphones could be. Within a year I bought an SPL Auditor amp and a pair of HD-800S phones and the trip was complete. Back to listening like I used to, sound off for sports, music on for me, no interference from anyone due to volume issues. I don't see me ever wanting to change this setup, very happy, ecstatic actually, with the combination.

james and luckybaer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.