Dedicated headphone and headphone amp users corner.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Sep 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

My Head set-up is 100% for at my job. Sen600 | Schiit Valhalla | Modi | Wyrd - Mac Powerbooks with hard drive of music.

I heard better from co-workers (stax, hifiman, Audeze). But it's easy to listen to for 8 hours a day.

james likes this.
  2. timind

timind phorum rezident

I used the HD650s for at least a year feeling they were everything I needed in a headphone. Then a friend was selling his Beyerdynamic T1s and he let me use them for a trial. My initial reaction to the T1s was, "wow, I've been missing a lot of music with the Senns." They offered so much detail it floored me. After about a week though, they began to irritate me with all that detail; it was too much. He then loaned me his DT990s which had more detail than the Senns, but this detail sounded more natural. The 990s also had much better bass than the 650s. And very importantly, they were more comfortable. You've read the statement, "it was like a veil was lifted" many times. Well here it is again.
    Now this made me curious so I bought an almost new pair of HE400is on this site. While I liked the sound ok, they weren't as good as the 990s for me. Plus, they weren't as comfortable, especially when laying down. Not sure why I bought the He560s, but it was while I still had the 400is. I have to say I think I liked the sound of the 560s better than the 990s, but the comfort level just wasn't there so I sold them. If it weren't for that funky headband system on the Hifiman headphones, I'd probably use the 560s as my standard.
    I need to stress this, my 990s are NOT the pro version. They are the premium version. The pro version sounds terrible to me, way too bright. Also, my 990s were a couple years old when I got them. Not sure if that matters soundwise.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. ron325

ron325 Forum Resident

I moved recently and was on the second floor which isn’t ideal for my speakers, so I decided to try some ‘phones. Years ago I tried Grados (lower-end model) but gave up. This time I tried:
    Beyer DT990 pro
    Beyer T90
    Hifiman HE-400i
    Soundmagic HP200
    Beyeryllium Acoustic
    Ultrasone Pro 900i
    And finally stuck with the Ultrasones, with the DT990 coming in second.
    I’m using a Schiit Lyr 2 (I tried something prior to that, but don’t remember what it was).
    After spending hours (days?) on head-fi.org, I realized I’m a basshead even though I only listen to rock/metal. The main reason I kept the Ultrasones is they had the best bass. Many people say they are too bass-heavy, but I could still use a little more.
    My problem is, I don’t play them loud, but my ears always ring when I’m done.
    I moved again (this time on the bottom floor ) so I’m not sure how much I’ll be using them. I like having them available if I need to have some quiet listening time, though.

timind and Daedalus like this.
  4. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I think that this is the right thread to ask a few questions.

I have a Sennheiser HD650 and a HD380Pro. The 650 sounds better but I use the 380 when I need closed cans because of external noise.
    I use both connected directly to the headphone jack of my Parasound Halo Integrated.
    The Halo has 10 Ω output impedance in its Texas Instruments TPA6120A. The 650 has impedance 300 Ω which I understand is high, and the 380 has impedance 54 Ω.

Questions:

I read somewhere that a good match would be a headphone amp with 1/8 impedance. Is it safe to follow this "rule"? This means that the Halo is good for the 650 but not to the 380Pro? A dedicated headphone amp will be much better than the Halo? Is it possible to have the same amp working with both the 650 and the 380Pro? What else should I know about this "headphone system" of mine?

5. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

Yes -I can't answer your technical question, but I hope someone on this thread shall be able to do so.

punkmusick likes this.
  6. Daedalus

I am about to start looking for a wireless headphone to match my new iPhone 7 plus ( used) just ordered. This is a New world for me-I use a very cheap Koss wired set with my present 5c iPhone. I need a headphone that will isolate me from the gym musack/ etc while I work out. I would like clear transparent sound-with no heavy bass or other coloration. What do you think?

7. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Active noise canceling bluetooth headphones by Bose or Sony.

Daedalus likes this.
  8. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Rig One--Bluesound Vault2>Gungnir D/S>Master9>HF-2, or Headphile K-340
    Rig Two--Bluesound Node2>Modded HeadAmp SE-V2>SR-325 or HF-1
    On the go--ipod 160gb>SR-71A>Yuin pk-3 or Beyer DT-250/80
    Good times

9. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Using headphones began as a compromise to enable me to listen to music without disturbing anyone in the house. I didn't like it at all in the beginning and while I still prefer to listen through speakers I'm now comfortable with headphones and can enjoy the experience. The study corner turned into a dedicated headphone station and I use JRiver on the PC to stream from the NAS.

The current favorite headphones are the Focal Elex which are used with the dedicate Violectric HPA V281 headphone amplifier but I try to rotate the other headphones and experiment which one are better depending on my mood or the music.

[​IMG]

The rest of the headphones are waiting their turn above the TEAC AI-501DA which is used to power the KEF LS50. From left to right we have: A NOS set of Sennheiser HD424 that are identical to what my parents had back in the 70's, a HD600 and the HIFIMAN HE4XX (Massdrop). Another set of HD6XX is used in the living room and I have a HD380 Pro with an Apogee Groove DAC/Amp for use at the office. One thing for sure is that without Massdrop I would not be willing or able to expand my collection as fast as I did.

[​IMG]

What I like about headphones is the entry price into true HiFi sound quality is very modest compared to speakers, yes - I know it's not the same sound but being different doesn't mean it's inferior. It's also ridiculously easy to experiment with different sound signature and discover new dimensions to records I previously heard over and over.

10. Dan DRC

Dan DRC Forum Resident

In the process of breaking in the Audioquest NightOwl. So far these are very nice, kinda hard to describe their sound. It is smooth and on the darker side but still with a lot of detail. I use them with a Mircomega MyZic headphone amp
    and Meridian Explorer 2 DAC for Tidal streaming. [​IMG]

Daedalus likes this.
  11. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

I would consider the BeatsX just for the gym. They aren't as bassy as past models and the W1 chip makes bluetooth pretty simple with an iphone.

Daedalus and luckybaer like this.
  12. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

Sony CDP-557ESD --> Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 (running balanced)--> Little Labs Monotor --> Senn HD-600.

The Little Labs is probably the cleanest head-amp I've used over the years (much nicer than the Lehmann Black Cube Pro too)..

Miss my old STAX SRM-006TS and SRS-407 headphones I had a few years ago (could never get on with the old style STAX headphones though and my head hurt after 20 minutes use) - I blew one side of the headphones after a year too which annoyed me no end with the amount spent :( Maybe one day I'll venture back to STAX...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Daedalus likes this.
  13. Csericks

Csericks Forum Resident

I've had a few headphone systems that I have enjoyed. For the past several years I have used a Woo Audio WA 2, lately with Beyerdynamic DT 1990. I love the combination. Feeding this is either a Bluesound Vault 2 via a Schiit Uber Bifrost or a SL1200/DL103r via a Ray Samuels F117.

Daedalus and luckybaer like this.
  14. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

I run the Gumby > Auralic Taurus Mk II > Focal Elear with Senn 600, AKG 712, Beyer DT990, Massdrop Fostex TH-X00. and the Oppo PM2 in the arsenal. Sadly the Oppo's have been a disappointment. I do much more listening now with cans (apartment dweller) and really enjoy them. Late night, push back the recliner and just listen for a few hours.

Will be picking up a Cavalli Liquid Platinum when it is released by Monoprice. Also been looking at Mr Speakers Aeon Flow (open) and have been tempted but concerned it might be more of a lateral move.

This stuff is addicting.

Daedalus and james like this.
  15. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Firstly, for anyone new to headphones, I would recommend checking out a CanJam if one happens near you, as there are many companies producing very high-quality products that are (largely) unknown in the conventional hi-fi space (a company like Questyle, for example, comes to mind). CanJams, or local Head-Fi meets, allow you to try a lot of product in a relatively short space of time, and a far wider selection than you will find in most (all?) hi-fi stores.

Secondly, even more so than conventional hi-fi, headphones are highly personal. Not only do you have to find a sound you like, but there is the comfort-factor to weigh too. If you cannot stand to have the headphones on your head (IEMs in your ears) for several hours, then it doesn't matter how good they can sound, you will ultimately not be happy with them.

Thirdly, while the CanJams are largely populated by a much younger demographic (which is a good thing), many of them have no concept of what neutral/accurate sound quality is. Too many want tipped up bass -- which explains the popularity of certain planar-magnetics which can rattle your skull. Probably the most popular test track at CanJams is something from Random Access Memories by Daft Punk (it's their Steely Dan, etc.! :)). While it is a good recording, most want to play it back with far too much bass. Of course, I accept that people buy what sounds good to them, but it gives me pause for thought when it comes to reading user reviews/suggestions as it seems that so many prefer a colored response (I see the same thing here with all the talk of ladder DACs, NOS DACs, tubes, etc. -- each to his own, however).

For my own headphone listening, I have two systems depending on what I am doing. For casual listening, or checking things (many of which come up in the Forums) I use:

Sennheiser HD-600 with Musical Fidelity X-Cans V2 fed from a variety of SACD players/DACs

The HD-600 is an industry reference so is an ideal test tool. It has also been, for many years, a stepping stone into the high-end of headphones, as it gets better with better DACs and amplifiers. It is my first recommendation to anyone who is serious about getting into headphone listening and does not want to break the bank.

If I need the extra isolation of a closed-back design, then I dig out my Sony MDR CD3000:

Sony MDR-CD3000 headphone ' The Legendary Prince ' aka Baby MDR-R10

While they do a lot right, I have never liked the faux leather ear-pads, which have a tendency to make a noise when you move your head. This limits their appeal, unfortunately. Luckily, I was given a pair when I worked at Sony.

For serious listening, I use a Sonoma Model One electrostatic headphone system (which has its own built-in DACs):

The Sonoma Model One Headphone System – Reviews | TONEAudio MAGAZINE

I am all about accuracy and neutrality, and the Sonoma checks all my boxes. Like all electrostatics, the Model One has lightning fast transient response, but, unlike most electrostatics, it has deep bass too (and not artificially boosted like many premium headphones). It is tonally gorgeous. Very open though, so sound leaks in and out, so not for use in a shared room!

Thanks to the CanJams, I have listened to a lot of other high-end contenders (though I have not heard this year's latest contenders!). The Stax SR-009/Blue Hawaii/good DAC combination is rightly revered. Although I am not a fan of their parts quality, the HiFiMAN 1000 is a nice sounding headphone, especially when driven by something like the HeadAmp GS-X (it will be interesting to hear the new GS-X mini -- I certainly liked the Gilmore Lite too). The Focal Utopia is beautifully made (complete opposite of HiFiMAN) and does a lot of things right, but I find it heavy, and think there are better value propositions out there (including Focal's own models!). I like the MrSpeakers Ether (open, not closed version) and Aeon models. I am interested to hear the new Ether 2. The Voce electrostatic was always in prototype form at shows I attended, so, I will need to check it out now that it is in production. I also like the ZMF Auteur, and look forwarding to hearing ZMF's new flagship model. I find the Sennheiser HD-800 and HD-800S do a lot right, they are extremely comfortable, and image tremendously. Maybe some subtle EQ can overcome their issues. The new Meze Empyrean also looks intriguing.

I have never liked Grado headphones and am completely puzzled by the love some have for Audeze. I find the Audeze models heavy, uncomfortable and not to my musical taste.

There is a lot of interest in the Abyss AP-1266, and I have tried it on a few very expensive systems. It certainly does not look like a $5,500 headphone. In fact, it looks like what it is, handmade in someone's garage! It has a lot of potential for adjustment, but even with two separate Abyss dealers trying to assist me, I could never get a set-up that I was happy/comfortable with. I had the impression that they would fall off if I moved my head. They do seem capable of pretty good sound, however.

Although I have had the opportunity, I have not listened to either Sennheiser's or HiFiMAN's $50k statement systems.

Having watched Jude's latest RMAF video, I see that there are quite a few new models that I will have to acquaint myself with at some upcoming show(s)!

trd, timind, ron325 and 3 others like this.
  16. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Black Elk forgot to mention Stax - I recommend everybody listen to at least a Lambda derived model and go up the scale. My very favourite Stax was the Sigma Pro - out of production for thirty years.

jkev2 and Daedalus like this.
  17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Well, apart from where I mentioned the SR-009/Blue Hawaii! :laugh:

Daedalus likes this.
  18. John Buchanan

OMG - missed that sentence. Sorry, my friend.

Daedalus likes this.
  19. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

No worries! :thumbsup:

Daedalus likes this.
  20. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I have a 2-channel reference system in Houston and a second all Rega (except for Sutherland Eng. Hubble phonostage) in Brazil. My wife and I split our time between the two locations. As the reference system evolved the Rega system became less and less satisfying comparatively speaking. It was then I decided to give headphones a try. While headphones are a very different kind of listening experience I have grown to get much enjoyment from it and it IS closer to the experience of the reference system. I feed CD's or AIFF computer files (mostly Redbook ripped CD's but some 24/96 downloads) to a Bricasti M1 DAC through a Tron Antares headphone amp and I use Focal Utopia and Sennheiser H800S (not shown) with a Double Helix cable. If something were to happen and this is all I could listen to music with, I could do that. I hope I don't ever have to, but I could.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

trd and TimM like this.
  21. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Sold my tube integrated and Martin Logan speakers and moving to an all Headphone setup. Need help finding a new headphone rig.

The last headphones I owned was six years ago a pair of Sennheiser HD 800's run by a Woo Audio WA6 with upgraded tubes and it sounded decent. I think the amp was a bad match at the time when it ran out of steam turning it up. Sold them both and they are now out of my price range.

I am thinking this with about $1200 give or take a hundred:

Stax SRS-3100 with l700 pads
    (Never heard Stax headphones before but I enjoy the electrostatic sound)

Topping D10 dac

It will run through a Macbook pro and I still have my Ayre C-5xe mp and my full vinyl Rega and Muscial Surrounding setup ready for hookup.

Any suggestions is helpful

22. Daedalus

Has anyone bought/ heard the new headphone amp made by Quicksilver Audio?

23. John Buchanan

I'm thinking a Raal Requisite SR1A might be in my very distant future - ribbon headphones run off the output of an at least 100 watt amplifier.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

More information on my small Decware 3.9-Watt Mini Torii single ended amp that has a 1/4" headphone jack option. Very sweet sounding.

[​IMG]

This is a small but very high quality dual mono, single ended pentode design, with tube rectification and tube voltage regulation.

It is a compact power amp that does not take up much room. for reference, the white top is roughly the size of an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of notebook paper.

[​IMG]

This amp has two line level inputs and volume controls, so that it can be used with line level sources, without the need for a separate preamp.

25. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

Used to have rock grotto modded Musical fidelity Xcan v2 with NOS czech tubes, still have a neco soundlab v2 with rechargable 9v battery (great cmoy amp)
    Neco Soundlab Portable V2
    Much prefer my vintage Stax SR5N with SB6 transformer, lovely effortless sound
    Still have some dynamic headphones left that i listen to
    Modded superlux HD 681 (AKG K240 clones)
    Sound magic E10
    Grado SR60
    Vintage AKG K140 with Kimber PBJ cable (fully rebuilt by me)
    AKG K240 MK2
    AKG K240 Sextetts (late production)
    AKG K702 with Kimber/RA cable

Sold on
    AKG K240 DF
    Audio technica ATH AD700

rodentdog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.