Dedicated Schiit Yggdrasil thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hutch, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Hutch

Hutch Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just wanted to create a place to post news dedicated specifically to this DAC. I've read two reviews so far but haven't heard much lately. I will post the 2014 links if anyone's interested. Anyone here got news to share?

2. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

3. Hutch

4. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Sorry :hide: you did say 2014 links.

5. Hutch

No it's cool. I was gonna post that additionally. Kinda trumps the older ones anyway.

6. Noooo! Don't build up the hype. That's going to cause a huge rush of pre-orders and cause me to have to wait in a long pre-order queue to get one. :tsk:

I am considering the Yggy DAC. I need a good DAC. I've been holding off on other DAC purchases knowing the Yggy was coming.

Colin M likes this.
  7. Mike F

Mike F Victim of Changes

Hands down, jaw dropping, game changing...indecision on my part (just getting the standard cliche/ superlatives out of the way). :D
    Had hoped it would be priced to match the Ragnarok at $1,699 but alas I think it'll be more like $2,400.

8. Hutch

I broke and bought a BitFrost while waiting because I haven't an inkling when Yggy is coming. I also figured Murphy's Law would kick in and they would announce Yggy for sale once I ordered the non-returnable BitFrost. Taking one for the team.

WHitese, wilejoe and beowulf like this.
  9. Hutch

Alas, indeed.

10. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Hahah,

Schitt...

11. tomd

tomd Forum Resident

People who've heard to prototype said it bests the PS Audio DAC touted on this forum at roughly half the price!

12. 6 months ago I was going to get a Gungnir. Decided to wait and save my money. I hope that was a wise choice.

13. timind

timind Forum Resident

I'm holding out until they make a dac with no vowels in the name.

14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

A friend of mine with excellent taste called it the best DAC under $20K he's ever heard.

15. tomd

tomd Forum Resident

Yeah-over at the Head HIFI website/forum there is a thread on it (audio asylum-digital drive has link to it) and there is some mention of those in the know saying it competes (and bests) a lot of 5 figure DACs.The best thing is when it does come out -and it does set a new performance bar for the price-you can bet all the others will be reverse engineering it and the DAC market be offering better performing DACs as a result.

Rolltide likes this.
  16. dnuggett

dnuggett Well-Known Member

If lives up to the hype through some review channelsI follow I may be in for one.

17. It doesn't do DSD. Nobody is going to want it in this age of modern DACs that do everything. :winkgrin:

18. Hutch

+1
    ...but obviously not so for the BitFrost. But, hey I got parties coming this week and with no Yggy in sight gotta have something to convert the party people with (in addition to my audio proselytizing)!

19. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan Forum Resident

Would that be a vowel movement?

20. tomd

tomd Forum Resident

If it was a preamp-dac I'd purchase it

21. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

It's a $150 upgrade for DSD...called the Loki!

rodney sherman likes this.
  22. evanft

evanft Well-Known Member

DSD converted to PCM played through Yggy supposedly sounds better than DSD played through any DSD DAC.

I'm very much ready to pick this up. Though if I get it I'll almost be obligated to upgrade from Mjolnir to Ragnarok.

23. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

At least you're being consonant.

24. Sorry for probably sounding a little bit too picky, but the DAC’s name actually is Bifrost.

bluemooze likes this.
  25. gloomrider

gloomrider Forum Resident

Here is an update from Schiit on the Yggy from 3/26:

ToTo Man likes this.