Dedicated Schiit Yggdrasil thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hutch, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Well-Known Member

Depends on what you mean by "perfect". When it comes functionality, its a relative term as there are virtually no "perfect" devices, functions, transformations, products, processes.

Regarding "burn-in", many different classes of audio components require what is colloquially referrred to as "burn-in" or "run-in" to provide optimal functionality, performance, and sound quality including headphone and loudspeaker drive units, cables, tubes, stereo cartridge cantilevers, and electronic components. Loudspeakers, cables and electronics usually require the most "burn-in" or "running-in" with respect to loudspeaker drivers. In electronics, and cables, it is usually the capacitors and other components or materials that take time to burn-in, and depending on the number and types (composition) of those components or materials will determine the time it states for them to fully burn-in. For dielectrics, the burn-in time often correlates to the dielectric constant of the material, the higher the dielectric constant, the longer it takes. For example, for film capacitors, the burn-in times are, from shortest to longest: polystyrene>>polypropylene>>>>>Teflon. For cables, it is usually the composition of insulating materials (which are also dielectrics) e.g. foamed polyethylene or FEP that determines the time that cables take to "burn in".

Regarding the burn-in time for Yggy, I refer you to Robert Harley's recent review in TAS:
    Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC. Yggy has a LOT of components, which directly correlates to it's burn-in time...

"Listening
    Although Moffatt warned me that the Yggy wouldn’t sound good right out of the box, I gave it a quick listen anyway after an hour of warm-up. He was right; the Yggy was hard, bright, forward, and flat. I checked in with it a couple of times over the next week and heard it improving somewhat, but it was still disappointing. I decided to let it sit in my rack, powered up, for a full month before revisiting it."

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    murphythecat likes this.
  2. Puma Cat

Correct, from the reports I've read from end-users, the new Gen 5 USB and Schiit Eitr (which uses the new Gen 5 USB interface/implementation), both outperform the Singxer F-1.

3. Puma Cat

Eitr not only works, it works spectacularly well. I am going to post a small review of using it with my Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC.

Ham Sandwich and billnunan like this.
  4. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I should have an Eitr here on Friday. I'll be feeding it USB from my W10 PC via Roon, then SPDIF into my Anthem Statement D2 which, to me has amazing an amazing DAC built-in considering it's in use for my vinyl playback and it sounds as "analog" as my old all-analog rig used to sound. I have to say, that fact alone has really softened my stance on "digital vs analog" since I'm basically bringing both worlds together in my system. Anyway, I'll put up a thread with my thoughts after a few weeks of listening to it (if I can put the records down long enough, lol). So far everything I've read has me giddy about the little box.

billnunan and murphythecat like this.
  5. robertzombie

robertzombie Forum Resident

I would expect a DAC in this price range to perfectly reconstruct the analogue signal in a way that is utterly transparent to the source from the word go.
    I'm stunned that someone would pay £2,000 for something that doesn't sound "good right out of the box". What happens if it doesn't 'burn in'? What happens if the resulting sound also isn't satisfactory?

basie-fan likes this.
  6. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Active Member

And what happens if it explodes?! Or if it morphs into Godzilla?!

7. robertzombie

Or, more than likely, just stays the same from day 1.

8. Puma Cat

Ain't gonna happen.

reapers, Dino and Clayton93 like this.
  9. robertzombie

Prove it.

10. Puma Cat

Don't need to...

Enjo your day! :cool: