Dedicated Schiit Yggdrasil thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hutch, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

Actually, their logic is pretty sound since pcm has been the de facto digital standard for 30 years. Their point in the faq is that no other format has supplanted it. Not even close. Their singular design focus is a benefit

ribonucleic likes this.
  2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Also, Schiit has backed their DSD-skeptic stance by making a dedicated DSD DAC, designed from the ground up to ONLY do DSD, complete with pass-through feature to use along with a PCM DAC. So customers wanting a DSD DAC from Schiit can have one - they just don't do all-in-one designs that involve compromises.

3. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

Is it just me or is it lacking inputs?

4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Very fair point.

DAC designers seem approach things from the standpoint that a person will be connecting one preferred digital source, so they give one of each possible option. But its not uncommon for people to use their DACs as pre-preamps, with a computer, CD player, streaming device, and maybe cable box all connected. I sort of wish this would change as I seriously doubt adding multiple inputs causes prices to jump, especially when it's not at the value price point to begin with.

5. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

I have all my relevant components connected to my DAC: PS3 (CD/DVD/Blu-Ray), Cable box, ipad, computer. Specifically, only 1 optical input is kind of a no go for me unless there is a simple workaround of which I am not aware.

6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Yep, optical is always the killer as when cheaper/consumer-ish devices have one optical its always optical. I actually ended up using this dirt cheap $15 DAC about the size of a matchbook for my PS3 as I only use it for actual video games.

There's such a thing as coax to optical adapters, but they're powered and thus add a bunch of wires so YMMV.

7. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

Yeah. This is the result of it being a pure dac and not a preamp. Plenty of inputs, it's just not meant to be a control center, just a statement dac

8. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

As far as I know it is a multi-bit DAC with a custom DSP digitial filter and discrete analog output stage. Conceptually that's not uncommon. Other manufacturers use muti-bit (so-called "R2R" chips) and other manufacturers have custom digital filters. Just what aspect of the Yggdrasil makes it unique?

9. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

To my knowledge, only two companies are now making "ladder" or "R2R" DACs: MSB Technology and Schiit. Are there others? What makes the Yggy unique is the price point for an R2R DAC. MSB's cheapest DAC goes for $7k, and the line goes up into the high five figures. If you know of another DAC that uses this method and sells for under $2500, do tell.

The vast majority of DACs use some implementation of sigma delta modulation in the decoding process. Even the FPGA based DACs (PS Directstream, Chord Hugo) still use SDM.

10. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

CH Precision C1 DAC ;)

11. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Ah, a $33,000 DAC. Seems the Schiit is in good company.

jimbutsu, beowulf and gloomrider like this.
  12. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Beat me to it. :) $32,975 to be exact. ;)

13. gloomrider

Yup. That's dCS Vivaldi price territory.

14. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Under $2500 and with R2R, custom filters, discrete analog output? A used Theta Gen V :)

The tech isn't too unique, but I agree the price point is unique for new product, and I like the return to the tech that my mind embraces more than delta sigma, stock lame filtering, and op amp outputs.

One thing that seems unique is the approach of keeping many of the original samples. I wonder how that compares to the phase correct DSP-driven algorithms they used in my Theta DAC.

15. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I wonder if they'll do any white paper style explanations about what is going on with the DAC? Or maybe an in depth Stereophile review or something to explain the tech? I'm curious. Up to the level that I'm able to understand this sort of digital processing.

$2300 is a lot of money to me for a DAC. I listen on headphones. I wonder if the DAC would offer improvements that I'd notice or appreciate on headphones? For example, if it presents better spacial information from the recording would I notice that on my headphones? I'd want to be able to audition and find out for myself before committing to ordering one. I know Schiit has a 15 day return policy. But I don't want to be buying something like this if I'm expecting I might need to use the return policy.

16. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

The guy I know that has listened to and raved about it is a headphone only guy for the most part FWIW.

But in general I kind of agree. At the same time, sometimes I connect my Lyr to my expensive McIntosh DAC and it's a whole lot of fun, the fact it cost 2.5x as much as the LCD-2s I'm listening to it with not withstanding.

Like I said, I'm really really hoping they make trickle-down upgrade boards for BiFrost and Gungir.

17. gloomrider

Well, for better or for worse, I just ordered a Yggy from Schiit. This is by far the most I've ever paid for a single audio component. But listening to one last night at a friend's house sealed the deal. There are simply no words in my "audiophile vocabulary" that describe the sound. I listened to a few tracks of the original issue of Dokken's Under Lock and Key CD ("real" audiophiles please feel free to mock me). That pedestrian 80s hair metal title blossomed into something so vivid, so captivating, that I can't even imagine what the Yggy would do for a modern, well mastered audiophile title. I expect the Yggy will breathe a substantial amount of new life into my existing CD collection.

I'm looking forward to others' impressions of the Yggy. I don't expect to get much done around the house for the next several weeks. :D

ribonucleic, Hutch, beowulf and 7 others like this.
  18. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

That sounds similar to impressions I've heard as well. People are blown away by this thing. Very interested to hear your in depth review once it arrives. Given your location I don't expect you'll have to wait long!

19. gloomrider

One of the big "minuses" of the Yggy is that it apparently requires seven days of warm up to hit its peak sound quality. So this puppy will need to be powered up 24/7/365. And I probably won't hear impressive sound the day it arrives.

20. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Wow, I knew that was the case with pre-release samples but I figured production models wouldn't be like that. I wouldn't mind this as I generally keep my digital stuff on all the time anyway. Very interested to learn why this would be the case with modern solid state gear.

When I can, that is. Lookin' at you, Marantz SA8004 30 minute auto-shutoff.

21. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

Metrum Pavane came out in Jan 2015

22. gloomrider

US$4431 based on today's rates. And that price does not include any duties or VAT.

23. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

What is the best DAC (or CD/SACD) you've had in your main system?

Exciting getting new gear which elevates sound quality by a huge leap. Nothing like it for those in this hobby!

24. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

And so what exactly is your point? I just show that your homework is incomplete, good luck with your theoratical discussion....

25. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

I know some would say yes, and I'm considering buying this but wondering if it makes sense to have a DAC be the most expensive component in my system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.