Dedicated Schiit Yggdrasil thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hutch, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hutch

Hutch Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can live with the delay. I wish they came in black like BiFrosts.

2. Hutch

How many of you are using the XLRs with your Schitt gear? Just curious.

3. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

That's a sign that you're using sigma delta to reconstruct the thread. Try using R2R along with a burrito filter to fill it in and you'll get all of the posts. ;)

Rolltide, jfeldt and Hutch like this.
  4. Hutch

I'll also need a bit of burn in time to be able to read the posts the way they were meant to be read.

Rolltide likes this.
  5. Hutch

:whistle:

6. Hutch

Started shipping less than a month after this post. :shtiphat:

7. Hutch

Schiit is somewhat future proof and upgradeable which makes it easier to invest in.

8. Hutch

Oh man. Looks like this thing needs to stay on 24/7.

9. Ham Sandwich

It's all tongue-in-cheek. I haven't ordered yet. Wasn't planning on jumping in on the initial rush. I want to hear it first before deciding. I'm a little concerned that it may be a little more analytical than what I'm after.

I just hope that if/when I do decide to order that there isn't a really long backlog and wait.

10. Ham Sandwich

The manual specifies that as well. "We recommend leaving Yggdrasil on continuously for best performance. Seriously. No kidding."
    Makes me wonder if I should get a UPS for it.

11. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Why would anyone be worried about leaving audio components on?

12. Ham Sandwich

If the gear is left on 24/7 that means the gear will be on through all sorts of power fluctuations, brownouts, brief blackouts, surges, etc. that could cause damage. If the gear is only on while listening then the likelihood of it being on during such power problems is much less.

If there is a brief blackout then what state does the gear initialize itself to when the power returns. Will it mute the outputs while it reinitializes?

jh901 likes this.
  13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

just to be clear, has anyone heard the Schiit Yggdrasil?

14. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Yes. I'm still waiting for the one I ordered to ship, but I have listened to a Yggy recently. I was so impressed with the sound quality that I purchased one.

ribonucleic and Dennis0675 like this.
  15. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Yep, love the company for a number of reasons and that's one of them. That said, I'm sitting on the sidelines for a while. Figuring in customs (free trade what?), tax, shipping, our declined dollar it'll be a $3,000 DAC for me. Maybe buy in 2016...depending. :cry:

Bongo likes this.
  16. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

There are no duties in Canada for US-built products (as per NAFTA & my own experience with Schiit gear). Custom fees & taxes remain, of course (should be on the value of the unit itself, excluding shipping)...

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  17. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Yes I think it's just taxes but certainly feels like greater punishment. I should double check the postal receipts. Thanks.

18. Hutch

I'm hearing this a lot.
    You must not live in NYC.

19. gloomrider

I placed the order when the Schiit website still said "in stock". While Schiit seems reluctant to commit to any forecast of when it might ship, I'm hearing "weeks". :rolleyes:

Looks like demand for the Yggy is very high.

20. Hutch

Well, duh. :)

gloomrider likes this.
  21. Ham Sandwich

It's not just the Yggy that wants to be left on 24/7. Other DACs as well have the same recommendation. For example, the Geek Pulse has a similar recommendation to be left on all the time.

My power is generally reliable. But still get very very brief brownouts where the lights will all dim. And occasional power outages and potential surges. If the gear is left on 24/7 it will be exposed to all of those power fluctuations, even the fluctuations that happen while I'm sleeping or away from home. I do use a surge suppressor (Tripp-Lite Isobar) with my audio gear. But perhaps it's now time to be thinking about a UPS with power conditioning that is audiophile gear friendly.

22. Frans

Frans Forum Resident

To be fair, the Yggy has been "coming" for at least 3 years. Meanwhile my Geek Pulse i/f with LPS has been in my system for a few months now and sounds really, really good. Easily audibly better than the well regarded OPPO 105 analog out section in a direct A/B test. The Geek Pulse i/f (Femto) + LPS was a shade under $500 for the crowdfunders.

Light Harmonic is developing the VI DAC (more of a rack than a desktop form factor) which will end up costing the same as the Yggy for campaign contributors.

This pits the Yggy in terms of price directly against the VI DAC Infinity Tube DAC with the optional Capacitor & Connector Exchange (CCX) CCX7 module (V-Cap TFTF + Cardas Single-ended Configuration). Yes, it will have capacitor tube rolling options.

I will be hearing the Yggy fairly soon and if possible I will compare it against my Geek Pulse. I'm excited about the rapid advancements in the DAC world and this competition is great! If the Yggy bests the Geek Pulse I will seriously consider getting one once the backorders are cleared out.

jh901 likes this.
  23. gloomrider

Yggy's in the house!

It's only been powered up for an hour or so and the only feedback I have so far is that it sounded instantly better than the Gungnir it replaced. I wonder if I won the race with @Ham Sandwich and his Pulse :)

jh901, beowulf, Ham Sandwich and 4 others like this.
  24. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Congrats. The Gungnir is no slouch.

mindblanking likes this.
  25. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Listening to Donald Fagen True Companion from the Heavy Metal soundtrack on my Gungnir right now and have to agree. But I'm dying to hear the Ything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.